Help With Player Portrait

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
Swank
Average

Help With Player Portrait

Post by Swank »

Hello, I'm not really new to this forum but I just made a profile today. I play UT99 everyday and I'm always looking for new ways to change the game more to my liking but I need help with the portraits.

For example when you kill someone or if you type, your player's icon will appear next to the speech box. What I want to know is, how can I change my player's picture?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Help With Player Portrait

Post by Hellkeeper »

This is something set up in the .int file related to your skin.
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Go and inspect this area:

Code: Select all

class TournamentPlayer extends PlayerPawn
// HUD status 
var texture StatusDoll, StatusBelt;
I'll bet if you will be dynamically changing this texture, you might get a different picture (a small puppy)...
Later will need a few check to see if Net Stuff is automated or it might need some "Replication" love.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The player portrait or picture is the talk texture that is part of your Player's skin - in the *.utx and *.int files of the skin it will contain the number 5.

To alter it, I think you will need to either edit the skin package, substituting the talk texture you want to use for the one to be replaced, or create a new skin package containing the new talk texture. If you edit the skin package, back it up before you do so and, if you change any of the texture names, you will need to edit the .int file accordingly. If you create a new skin package, you will need to write a new .int file.

I have just experimented with altering an .int file and changing the talk texture to another one, but with no success.
Swank
Average

Post by Swank »

Are there any programs that can allow me to edit .int files?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Swank wrote:Are there any programs that can allow me to edit .int files?
The .int file is just a Plain Text file that can be edited with any text editor.
Swank
Average

Post by Swank »

Well I opened the .int file for the skin's portrait that I want to change and it looks like this:

am I doing something wrong or?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

That's the way it looks without alteration, I think.

It looks to me that WarMachineBossSkins_Sancix'Ri-Warrior.srws5T_0, etc are the various talk textures for the skin - one for each of the four team colours. I might be wrong on this though. If there isn't a single talk texture, as there normally is for other models, then it is going to be more complicated to alter as you would need to edit the WarMachineBossSkins_Sancix'Ri-Warrior.utx file to remove those and replace them with the talk texture(s) you want to use.

What do you want to use?
Swank
Average

Post by Swank »

Sorry for the late reply I've just been busy.

The problem is I love to play as the skin I posted above, but I just want to change the portrait associated with that particular skin.

The picture that I want to use for my player portrait is this:

If possible, could I send you what you need and you could try to change the portrait for me?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I use Notepad.exe for .int editing, but the area the texture for it is in the skin's .utx files.

For most standard skins the texture for what's in the talk texture is 5. Whole thing is numbered (1 chest & forearms, 2 waist down to boots, 3 arms & shoulders, 4 is face & bottom of feet & hands, 5 is "portrait" if you'd like to call it that).

Now, especially if you like playing online, you DO NOT want to change an existing skin because that will lead to file conflicts if you try to join someone else's games. You would need to make a new/custom skin of your own if you wanna change your portrait.

From there, options are all over the place:
Keep in mind, the size of the graphic for most standard players portrait is fairly small, and even if it's large it's gonna be shown as smaller in the talk texture.

Now, from the .int you've got displayed above the numbering system for the WarBoss is a little different... (can't use UnrealEd as I'm at work) so I can't tell what the specific part for the portrait is. Best way to find it is use the texture editor in UnrealEd for that skin (.int file & .utx will have identical filenames) and match the numbers up to see what applies to where.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I haven't done that kind of texture editing before so not sure that I can do it. Sorry.
Swank
Average

Post by Swank »

EvilGrins wrote:
I use Notepad.exe for .int editing, but the area the texture for it is in the skin's .utx files.

For most standard skins the texture for what's in the talk texture is 5. Whole thing is numbered (1 chest & forearms, 2 waist down to boots, 3 arms & shoulders, 4 is face & bottom of feet & hands, 5 is "portrait" if you'd like to call it that).

Now, from the .int you've got displayed above the numbering system for the WarBoss is a little different... (can't use UnrealEd as I'm at work) so I can't tell what the specific part for the portrait is. Best way to find it is use the texture editor in UnrealEd for that skin (.int file & .utx will have identical filenames) and match the numbers up to see what applies to where.
I cannot for the life of me use UnrealEd. Everytime I try to open the WarBoss texture it just gives me this screen and I can't find it anywhere:

I can't understand anything with it lol I'm no good at all that techy stuff. I don't want to sound naive but I really really want this to work. Could you help a fellow player out and maybe have a go at it yourself? I've gone through some of your posts and I know you're an expert when it comes to this stuff. :lol2: I can send you any files that you'd need to make it work.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Swank wrote: I cannot for the life of me use UnrealEd. Everytime I try to open the WarBoss texture it just gives me this screen and I can't find it anywhere:
There is a problem with that texture file - I couldn't open it with UnrealEd 2.1 Standalone Edition initially and got those textures shown in your image - I could only open it by moving the file from my UT directory to the UnrealEd directory (which sits above the UT directory). No idea what the problem is, though.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Swank wrote:I cannot for the life of me use UnrealEd.
Do me a favor, find a download for that skin and link it to your reply to this. I'll be home in about 5 hours, I'll see what I can do with it... and maybe give you a better idea of how to use UnrealEd for skinning.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Swank
Average

Post by Swank »

Sorry, timezones.

And here is the download link:

http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=S ... arrior.zip

It's quite easy to find on ut-files or other websites.