UV mapping a custom made 3d Model

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
NinjaNali
Average

UV mapping a custom made 3d Model

Post by NinjaNali »

seeing as you guys seem to be good at this sorta stuff (anything with UT lol) i figured i might get an answer here, anyway this is the problem:

Using blender, some conversion tools, and a "free" version of adobe photoshop ive got a uv-textured model, unfortunatly i have one major problem: the texture won't wrap around the item properly and i just cant find the solution, ive tried flipping the texture but that hasnt helped, i know the texture is going onto the object, as the blue background is on it. Just not correctly :x

This would probably be easier in maya, but im a cheapskate, so something that costs resources is not an option. If you want ill show you the stuff that im trying to get to work (with screenshots)
TheCorey
Experienced
Personal rank: Evil mapper

Re: UV mapping a custom made 3d Model

Post by TheCorey »

From what I understand the model is UV mapped in Blender and looks fine there. But once imported in UT the UV map is screwed up?

hmmm well I know nothing of "blender to UT" but could it be that you exported your model to a format that doesn't support UV's ?
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

one of the converters i have used is a .3ds exporter, which is in fact the basic file for 3ds max, one of the more common 3d modellers (and used for UT i think) and the final product is the same files as all other unreal tournament decoration, so i dont think that is the problem.
TheCorey
Experienced

Post by TheCorey »

But what happens after you've exported to 3ds?

oh well, I guess I'm not of too much help anyway. As I never import models into UT but convert them to T3d brushes. :loool:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I use MilkShape to modelling stuff for UT, like weapons and deco.
With MilkShape you haven't to convert a thing, because it has a built-in .3d exporter (the format that UT uses to import meshes to UT).
The skinning is easy to make and the final product stays cool after you exported it, and it makes a ready to import UCC.

Unfortunatly, this is a paid software, and you don't want to buy a thing, sorry. :noidea
But it has a trial version for 30 days. :tu:
It can read .3ds too :mrgreen: , so you don't have to make all the modelling again, but about the skinning, I don't know (never tried :noidea ).
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

hey if you wouldnt mind, could you see if it keeps its uv mapping co-ordinates when it gets exported as a .3ds? unfortunatly i can export as this file type, just not open them! the only files you (should) need are here:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/5 ... 2-zip.html
thanks for trying to help everyonr, its really appreciative :D
TheCorey
Experienced

Post by TheCorey »

I've downloaded that file and it only includes a blend file and a TGA. Wasn't it suppose to be a 3ds file?
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

:!: sorry, its just that ive got a folder of like 20 different things floating around, anyway this is the right one :ironic2:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/5 ... n-zip.html
TheCorey
Experienced

Post by TheCorey »

The UV's are all screwed up. They are really far away from the sqaure they suppose to be in and when I drag them to the image they don't fit in it all.

What other formats can you export in?
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

hmm quite a few, these are just the suffixs, if yopu want ill put the full names down to later:
.3ds, .ac, .dae, .off, .x, .dxf, .lwo, .md2, .bvh, .flt, .svg, .ps, .eps, .ai, Gimp, .slp, .raw, .ply and .obj
TheCorey
Experienced

Post by TheCorey »

hmmm I've checked and 3ds should just work. Maybe you could export to obj instead. Dunno if UT can handle it.
smoogs

Post by smoogs »

idk how to make a skin :[