How to create and skin complex meshes?

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
Rigel
Novice

How to create and skin complex meshes?

Post by Rigel »

Hi :) Know any good modeling programs? Something to create models of humans, cars, weapons, (stuff that i CAN'T create in UnrealEd using simple cubes/cilinders/etc)

And how do i skin them?
Last edited by Rigel on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: How to create and skin complex meshes?

Post by Creavion »

Rigel wrote:Hi :) Know any easy to use modeling programs? Something to create models of humans, cars, weapons, (stuff that i CAN'T create in UnrealEd using simple cubes/cilinders/etc)

And how do i skin them?
Well, nearly anything is better than the UED.

Max, Blender, Maya, Milkshape ....

skinning: UV Mapping (also called: Unwrap uvw ... ??)! Youtube has plenty of these tutorials! *trying to learn this on my own next time I have some .. more time^^*

Based on this thread however I thought you CAN use a 3D Modelling program!?
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3728
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Rigel
Novice

Post by Rigel »

Creavion wrote:
Rigel wrote:Hi :) Know any easy to use modeling programs? Something to create models of humans, cars, weapons, (stuff that i CAN'T create in UnrealEd using simple cubes/cilinders/etc)

And how do i skin them?
Well, nearly anything is better than the UED.

Max, Blender, Maya, Milkshape ....

skinning: UV Mapping (also called: Unwrap uvw ... ??)! Youtube has plenty of these tutorials! *trying to learn this on my own next time I have some .. more time^^*

Based on this thread however I thought you CAN use a 3D Modelling program!?
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3728
sorry to dissapoint. everything (absolutely everything) i did there was made in unrealed and photoshop! i exported them as brushes and used old meshmaker.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

It's been a few years since I used it in any way, but Cinema 4D from Maxon, beat all the other products we had at the company I was working for.
It was more flexible, faster to render and actually use. Best of all it was quicker to learn on.
Our design department echoed to the sounds of "Ooooooh" and "Wow it's done!" for days after I introduced them to it.
(The first "Cube" film's CGI was totally rendered with the version we used)
Software made by old Amiga programmers tends to be aimed at the user sat in front of the screen.

I have no Idea about it's current exporting options, but it used to support everything you could think of.
Our designers finaly had far more fun using 3D (I like my staff to have fun at work) and were far more productive.
This recommendation is based purely on quality, speed, and ease of use (but not my own).

You have a good eye for details, lay-out, and modelling, I think you will learn your skills fast with whatever you choose.
UT tutorials however will be based around the tools Creavion listed, but 3D modelling skills based on something the film industry use will serve you well anywhere.
You should try them all and use the one that suits your style.
http://www.maxon.net/products.html
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I use MilkShape 3D for models/animations, LithUnwrap to build up the UVs, and then MSPaint, Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop to make the skins.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Feralidragon wrote:I use MilkShape 3D for models/animations, LithUnwrap to build up the UVs, and then MSPaint, Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop to make the skins.
Paint Shop Pro! Mmmmmm. :tu:
I just had a little tremble of joy. Shame it now looks and works like PhotoShop though. I used to use it all the time until Coral bought it.
Everything was quicker and easier with it. Now I use the GIMP.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Dr.Flay wrote: Paint Shop Pro! Mmmmmm. :tu:
I just had a little tremble of joy. Shame it now looks and works like PhotoShop though. I used to use it all the time until Coral bought it.
Everything was quicker and easier with it. Now I use the GIMP.
I don't like GIMP lol (I find it to be the worst image editor in the whole universe, but it's just my opinion of course).
I use PSP 7.0 mostly since it's very good, fast and easy to work with 256-color images, while photoshop needs true color for pretty much everything... and each time it loads up it takes decades, PSP7 is almost as instant as MSPaint.