COW SKIN Help Plz

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

COW SKIN Help Plz

Post by HOT_BEEF_INJECTION »

Hi, a few of you might know me from RB or HoF. Just joined here cuz i'm making a cow skin and also i'm starting to develop a new RX mod to be announced later.

For now, my fellow cows need help.

When God was handing out the UT Skins and Voice Packs, Cows got screwed..

Only 2 Skins? Image
Only 2 Moo's?! Image
Seriously?!! Image

The Short Story regarding the help i need:

I have my skin .pcx files finalized.

I used them to create tcowmeshskins_horn.UTX with UnreadEd.

tcowmeshskins_horn.UTX contains these custom textures:

holstein - Body Texture (256x256)
holsteinface - Talk Texture (64x64)
cowpack - Default Gun (unedited)
T_cow_0 - Red Gun (Edited)
T_cow_1 - Blue Gun (Edited)
T_cow_2 - Green Gun (Edited)
T_cow_3 - Gold Gun (Edited)

I created an .INT file named: "tcowmeshskins_horn.int" (with the quotes)

The .INT contains the following:

Code: Select all

[public]
Object=(Name=TCowMeshSkins_horn.Holstein,Class=Texture,Description="Horny Holstein v1")
Object=(Name=TCowMeshSkins_horn.T_Cow_0,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=TCowMeshSkins_horn.T_Cow_1,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=TCowMeshSkins_horn.T_Cow_2,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=TCowMeshSkins_horn.T_Cow_3,Class=Texture)
The skin is selectable in my Player Options:

Yet for some reason, the skin doesnt show for me:
Image :confused2:

I plan to distribute this skin to a few players and servers.

Anybody know what is missing or wrong and how i can get this working? :???: :???: :???: :???:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: COW SKIN Help Plz

Post by JackGriffin »

Does your player log show an error? Send me your files (I'm gopostal, this is just my account here on UT99.org) and let me look at them locally and I'll fix it for you. This sort of thing is hard to diagnose from a distance. Your work won't go anywhere but to me and I'll delete it after I fix it and return it. If you want to do this just PM me and I'll send you my addy.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

JackGriffin wrote:Does your player log show an error? Send me your files (I'm gopostal, this is just my account here on UT99.org) and let me look at them locally and I'll fix it for you. This sort of thing is hard to diagnose from a distance. Your work won't go anywhere but to me and I'll delete it after I fix it and return it. If you want to do this just PM me and I'll send you my addy.
Hi Postal. I dont think I'm at the point i need to send anything to somebody for them to do it for me. I dont think the solution is rocket science, there seem to be differences when compiling a TCowMesh. None of the tutorials i've seen deal with cows, so it appears i'm leaving something out that cows need.

I'm sure somebody here has successfully built a cow skin. Does any experienced cow skin maker see the error I'm making?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

No problem bro. If you don't get a good answer my door is always open. This sort of thing almost always comes down to a mistake in typing somewhere. I can't tell you the times that Ferali has sent me a reply back when I've asked for help, and all he did was highlight some *stupid* mistake I made but couldn't see it because I was too close. As a matter of fact he just did this last week for me. It's not an insinuation that you lack anything or that 'I'm better so I'll just fix it', this is how devs help each other because it's the least time intensive for everyone involved.

I really like the skins too.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

How did you make this skin? What tools did you use?
If you did use the skinmaker ...here is a guide/tutorial. With this should it work. http://skinmaker.tripod.com/id27.htm

This part is very important:

Q) What is the talk texture?
A) The talk texture is the little picture that appears at the top of the screen in UT when you say something (usually a picture of the persons head). This is the easiest picture to create because it is just like a passport photo. To create the talk texture it must be a picture of 64 x 64 pixels. (I use a 24bit BMP file). You can just reduce a digital photo for this, but remember its only small, so detail will be lost if you do this.
Once created... to add in the talk texture, right click on "talk texture" and choose "add texture"
on the new box, click the "..." button and point it to your talk texture file. Leave the "< default >" bit alone - hit "ok"
If it has worked ok - you will now see your talk texture in the top left hand corner of the model preview.

IMPORTANT - You have to repeat the above again, and add the talk texture again (using the same picture file) - except this time change the "< default >" to something else - I.E. "sexyface". Faliure to do this will prevent you using your skin on the "bots" in UT (for some strange reason)
If done correctly, under "talk texture" in the skin editor box, you should now have "< default >" and then your own named talk texture (i.e. "sexy face") underneath that!
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Something I didnt mention.

I'm using UT99 GOTY with only the first disk installed.

Is it possible that my UnrealTournament.ini OR User.ini are missing a line that would allow the skin to show when playing offline/online?

At one point, I had a version that could be seen by me online. The server didnt install it, i was playing using it on my client and when i died, i could see the skin. see below

There was an error with that skin... (Nobody said that words placed on the skin would read backwards on the skin. So the team logo's were backwards)

So I remade that .PCX files to compensate, and never got a working version again....
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

papercoffee wrote:How did you make this skin? What tools did you use?
If you did use the skinmaker ...here is a guide/tutorial. With this should it work. http://skinmaker.tripod.com/id27.htm

This part is very important:

Q) What is the talk texture?
A) The talk texture is the little picture that appears at the top of the screen in UT when you say something (usually a picture of the persons head). This is the easiest picture to create because it is just like a passport photo. To create the talk texture it must be a picture of 64 x 64 pixels. (I use a 24bit BMP file). You can just reduce a digital photo for this, but remember its only small, so detail will be lost if you do this.
Once created... to add in the talk texture, right click on "talk texture" and choose "add texture"
on the new box, click the "..." button and point it to your talk texture file. Leave the "< default >" bit alone - hit "ok"
If it has worked ok - you will now see your talk texture in the top left hand corner of the model preview.

IMPORTANT - You have to repeat the above again, and add the talk texture again (using the same picture file) - except this time change the "< default >" to something else - I.E. "sexyface". Faliure to do this will prevent you using your skin on the "bots" in UT (for some strange reason)
If done correctly, under "talk texture" in the skin editor box, you should now have "< default >" and then your own named talk texture (i.e. "sexy face") underneath that!
I started with UT Skin Maker 2.5 Beta
When I went to compile, I got this error:

I dont know how to add the Body 'face texture'

I dont know what exactly is missing from Guns.

I dont understand the errors..

SOOOO

I gave up on Skin Maker

I tried to make the skin grass roots and Imported the files using UnrealEd Textures Import and saved the .UTX myself and created the INT myself, based on another working custom cowskin, but changing the names to work with my files...

Not sure what to do now :(

Edit ......................................................by papercoffee
Please avoid double posts!!!

I'm thinking i corrupted something when i changed the textures so the writing could be read properly..
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Yeah you have to put all team colours separately into this project even if the skin doesn't use team colours.
You need a file with the default team colour.

Put into the face section the same texture you used for the body ...I did never make a skin for the W-cow but I think they put in a face section, even though it wasn't used.

And read the guide ...step by step, and everything should work just fine.

EDIT--------------------------------------
I'm thinking i corrupted something when i changed the textures so the writing could be read properly..
Wait did you only change an existing skin in the skinmaker?
You have to make a new project for this.

EDIT-------------------------------------2

Another important part:

You must add five textures under one skin to create the 4 coloured teams and default.
and...
Must update unrealtournament.ini if you want to use the skins in multiplayer game
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Yes i changed the cow Gun files because some Text I added was backwards on the live model... When it worked...

So i corrected the backwards text.

But i never got a successful compile from Skin Maker.

I'm starting clean with a fresh install of Skin Maker 2.5....

Oh you said something about needing 5 images for teams. The default cow skins only use 1 image and the Gun is the part that defines a Team Color.
Last edited by HOT_BEEF_INJECTION on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote: But i never got a successful compile from Skin Maker
Well, follow the tutorial I posted and it should work :agree1:
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

papercoffee wrote: Well, follow the tutorial I posted and it should work :agree1:
I started with that tutorial this morning.

There are no CowMesh references in it.

Trying again :/

You said something about needing 5 skins. Cows use 1 body and the Gun is the team color.
papercoffee wrote:Yeah you have to put all team colours separately into this project even if the skin doesn't use team colours.
You need a file with the default team colour.

Put into the face section the same texture you used for the body ...I did never make a skin for the W-cow but I think they put in a face section, even though it wasn't used.
Yes I re-added the face texture.

I added Default and Colored guns for all team requirements. Still, something didnt work.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

hold it, HOLD IT!
If it shows while selecting, but not ingame, then it's probably NOT the problem of your skinning... Try putting the cow skin to that other default skin (the greenish one), if you still see a yellow cow, it means that your skin's alright (but EPIC f.ck.d the poor cow), to fix this, you will have to use the BP1FIX, which fixes both the cow and the nali. Good luck!
Info: http://web.archive.org/web/201101051516 ... fixes.html
Attachments
bp1fix.zip
(9.21 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

GEx wrote:hold it, HOLD IT!
If it shows while selecting, but not ingame, then it's probably NOT the problem of your skinning... Try putting the cow skin to that other default skin (the greenish one), if you still see a yellow cow, it means that your skin's alright (but EPIC f.ck.d the poor cow), to fix this, you will have to use the BP1FIX, which fixes both the cow and the nali. Good luck!
Info: http://web.archive.org/web/201101051516 ... fixes.html
I changed to Default Green cow and started a CTF game. It switched me back to brown cow!

Checking out the fix now! :thuup: :tu:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Then download my attachment, install it, select the new model (it's the same, but fixed) you downloaded and play a bit with the greenish one again, if it's finally green, EUREKA!
Now select your skin and tell us if you see it ingame...
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

GEx wrote:Then download my attachment, install it, select the new model (it's the same, but fixed) you downloaded and play a bit with the greenish one again, if it's finally green, EUREKA!
Now select your skin and tell us if you see it ingame...
I extracted to the desktop and draged the files to the System folder...

WAIT i see

i selected the FIXED model, now i can see my skin :rock:

OMG all this time for something so simple! Thanks!