How I skin

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

How I skin

Post by EvilGrins »

Running into problems making a clan skin for the Vulpine Mission folks, they wanted to know why I'm not fond of skinning Commandos, so I walked them through how I skin...

...and it occured to me that before now I only ever walked Hook through how I do this. So, thought I'd bump this to a few other places.

I'm a self taught skinner. I don't use any of the skin making programs. I literally make all my skins with the ThumbsPlus graphic converter, Windows Notepad, and Microsoft Paint. Under recommendation from many I've tried using skin making software, but it just doesn't work for me.

By way of example, how I made the male Hello Kitty Corps:

Step 1, get textures:

Step 2, tint edit of texture:

Step 3, paint edits for clan logo:

Step 4, setup new texture file:

Step 5, write new .int file for skin in Notepad.

The texture setup for Commando skins is configured in such a way as to make it near impossible for me to skin in the manner I'm accustomed to. I've tried before, someone wanted me to make a military skin for their server and I have a lot of Commando skins that were basically setup for Infiltration type games... but it was a no go.

What few Commando edits I've done were exceptionally uncomplicated, and even then just a simple tint-edit to give it all 4 team colors. Like the Sith Commando, which came with 2 team colors and I gave it all 4. Don't think I've ever posted that before either.
Last edited by EvilGrins on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Re: How I skin

Post by Spectra »

So what exactly is your problem?? Skins not showing up in the player list??
Why you don't use SkinMaker?? At least that thing compiles and automatically creates the int file.
If you have those Commando textures?? Then send it and I will take a look at it. Probably I believe the problem could be in you int file.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Rocky wrote:So what exactly is your problem?? Skins not showing up in the player list??
There's no problem, my skins show up just fine.
Rocky wrote:Why you don't use SkinMaker?? At least that thing compiles and automatically creates the int file.
If you have those Commando textures?? Then send it and I will take a look at it. Probably I believe the problem could be in you int file.
I learned how to skin years before I even heard about Skinmaker. I've since taken a look at it and don't particularly like it. For example, it seems to depend on only working for certain models that it's setup for. Ones outside that range it can't handle.

I might never have been able to skin the STEGS if I were so limited to just specific models:

.int files are easy. I could write those practically in my sleep.

Each their own, my way works fine enough for me.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

It occurs to me, after all this time, I should probably start a thread (or more likely add to this one) on how to manually write an .int file.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:It occurs to me, after all this time, I should probably start a thread (or more likely add to this one) on how to manually write an .int file.
Because of http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... 067#p67067 ??
Would be great.
Make it clean and simple, so that even I can understand it ... me no speek Anglish good.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I thought you had already covered it, but I just noticed step 5,
Ah yes. That certainly needs fleshing-out a bit
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

If you were to create a skin from scratch, like the model would you need to have the skeleton first from one of the default characters to have everything animate correctly?
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Make it clean and simple, so that even I can understand it ... me no speek Anglish good.
I veell be-a soore-a tu meke-a it cleer und fery seemple-a, joost fur yuoo pepercuffffee-a. Bork Bork Bork!
'Zac wrote:If you were to create a skin from scratch, like the model would you need to have the skeleton first from one of the default characters to have everything animate correctly?
If working on existing model, especially as I don't know how to make a new model, it already has a skeletal setup of its own. My manner of skinning just involves editing the existing textures, or setting up new ones. Once that's done, and you've got everything setup right, it wraps itself around the existing model.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Uhuh, as Grins is simply using other skins as a template, you don't need to worry about anything but your package and texture names.
They just need to be linked/referenced correctly in the int file.