No telefrag at start - update to V3

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: No telefrag at start - update to V2

Post by sektor2111 »

LessTele2 has been attached at first post...
schwap
Novice

Post by schwap »

I'm a silent reader of this board for years now, just felt like replying now.

If this is of any need for you, I solved the whole telefragging / spawnfragging issue, in another game, by modifying the EncroachedBy(Actor) function.

Looks like this (very simple):

Code: Select all

event EncroachedBy( actor Other )
{
 if (PlayerPawn(Other) != none)
  return;
 else
   Super.EncroachedBy(Other);
}
Of course, to access this you need a custom playerpawn (or Higor's ReplaceFunction stuff, heheh :D ), I wanted to drop it here anyways.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Got another one: modify the respawn code so that newly respawned pawns are 'decollided' before being put in their playerstart.
Sure, you'll often see overlapping players at game start, but it's better than a telefrag.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

schwap wrote:I'm a silent reader of this board for years now, just felt like replying now.

If this is of any need for you, I solved the whole telefragging / spawnfragging issue, in another game, by modifying the EncroachedBy(Actor) function.

Looks like this (very simple):

{
 if (PlayerPawn(Other) != none)
  return;
 else
   Super.EncroachedBy(Other);
}
Of course, to access this you need a custom playerpawn (or Higor's ReplaceFunction stuff, heheh :D ), I wanted to drop it here anyways.
YES, ReplaceFunction is a response... when more admins will love XCGE, until to make them to start using/testing/feeedback-ing it we might use a common solution for default Engine. Aside, ReplaceFunction is a bless for some techs a la 2016 but... it looks like players using UTPG things won't be happy in XCGE servers at this moment... Else Bot will need the same modifications and... MBot too... and... whatever "Player", so I believe my code might be like this *Pawn" modification not really Actor:

{
 if (Pawn(Other) != none && Pawn(Other).PlayerReplicationInfo != None && DeathMatchPlus(Level.Game) != None && DeathMatchPlus(Level.Game).bStartMatch) //I'm not a Bot Hater after all + Translocator...
  GoTo NoThingEncroached; //I'm no longer fan of return;
else if (....)
   {
   }
 else
   Super.EncroachedBy(Other); //Gonna see if this is needed
NoThingEncroached:
}
The trivia is that more admins were asking solutions for those stupid old crashes and now when some improved stuff is being done they don't even bother to test it, looks like it takes months to do a Server update, so I have stopped trying to convince them in doing a tests probably leaving them to live with a plonker old engine in next 20 years is their good option, and talking over and over about from now on non-existent problems solved in XCGE.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Running V2 and it works well - just wondering what the two numbers are ...

ScriptLog: Add mutator StuffSwapper.StuffSwapper
ScriptLog: Add mutator LessTele2.LessTele
ScriptLog: DM-Extortion_CE.LessTele0  has been loaded and started.
ScriptLog: LessTele0 has added 23 additional PlayerStart types...
ScriptLog: 15 16
... the 15 and 16? These numbers vary with the number of PlayerStarts added to a map and presumably with the number already in the map but I can't work out what they refer to.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The route is as follows:
- find a PlayerStart
- if found and match Team0 increase a counter;
- try to attach 4 Starts if possible;
- if successful increase that counter as well;
- Did Counter reach at 16 for Team0 ? Keep going doing nothing - 0 has considered completed slots even if are more;
- if found and match Team1 - repeat the same steps;
- It do iterates through all default PlayerStart types, but does nothing if 16 has been reached for each team. It will report how many have been added (global value) and then team starts until 16 - presuming map has fewer. If are more nothing will get hurt.

Reality - due to some PlayerStarts placed around walls we might fail 2 or 3 Additional Starts then we have some problem - one team seems to have more options than other (Only For Start). In this case (yours) PlayerStart(s) from team 0 have been extended to at least other 15 Starts and Team1 has a better option for 16 Starts. You can check more maps and see (using <ShowAll>) command what was added and where. Basically that's a sort of report for those teams 0 and 1.

I found maps with these starts non-mirrored increasing spawn options for one team. Probably a future modification will except adding starts but will do a relocation of pawn colliding with other pawn using a kind of similar algorithm.

I decided to add more starts because at a moment in MH we have those inactive and poor starts at first Location, it won't be fair to spawn some player into a zone which is not in purpose to get an early visit so I went to ignore starts passing 16. If something will go wrong I'll reconfigure code structure. You can even do a check through source-code and see how it works - simple solution for the moment. Else if are a lot of options at start (pathnodes inventoryspots other starts over default 16 in range spawning will be expanded to those points so Extra-Starts won't be really needed.

Another idea is to spawn a controller tracker owned by players. If Owner is in telefrag danger it might be moved up and given a random velocity (like kicker) and setting up a false collision for 1 second (until fly away from others).
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

On some maps I have an issue with the LessTele2 mutator I think.
I played it with the map MH-EXU2-Shitstorm. There exists several player spawnpoints over the map. But the mutator makes you spawn at spawnpoints where you not should be at this time. Example: right on map start it can happen that you spawn near the main building and have no chance to fight against the monsters. Normally you have to fight linear from start point to shoot the way free.
There was another map I had similar issue but forgot the name, I did not linked the issue with this mutator first.
In the map MH-Alarm_fixV5 it is perhaps responsible for this: When you reached the second spawn point (wide area where the mercs come in) it happens that you spawn at first spawn point and have to run the hole way again.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You might read here
http://hermskii.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... b1d#p42678
Then if in other maps has no issues, this proves that mod doesn't have any problem because New starts are not in Navigation list, so it doesn't make sense. Only Editor or some native DLL stuff can load new starts in Navigation array to screw things.
As title of thread might be or not self-explanatory, mod is addressing STARTMATCH thing and None of later spawning things.
If starting match works properly without telefraging then mission is done. The rest is not subject for debates.

Related to map in cause I'll quote a few words about fixed version - yeah, a fixed version:
Spoiler
Bugs / Applied changes:

[1st and 2nd spawn]
-The second spawn was buggy due a infinite trigger re-loop.
Players and bots kept respawning at different points, while getting a **** load of missile spam.

Also the very first respawn contains too less points to respawn at.

[Fix]
- Enlarged the first respawn room + addtional spawnpoints.
- Original second spawnpoints are REMOVED.
- Added a safe second place at the WEST side of the castle.
With a roof + extra added wall should give you enough protection to go on further.
- Replaced the pickup of the energyrifle and armor -- now present in second spawn with
a 10 seconds interval (respawntime).
- See enclosured .jpg or a graphical explaination.

second respawn points triggers at the moment you crossed the entire bridge. That means when you set foot on the 'island' you will get a notice.
Else there is a bug here... happens in MH504 because v504 has a tweak according to "team 0" craps which affects functionality of LessTele2 and for this reason I went to LessTele3 implemented in that XC server which I was talking about last days.
However, it won't help rammed maps - portations done by noobs and cube drawers which have no clue about switching PlayerStart. LessTele versions are addressing gamestart have nothing to do with the rest of spawning, LessTele2-3 are copying tags from nearest PlayerStart so if that is properly triggered, New starts will react in the same way being activated/deactivated properly or wrong depending on map setup.

Do 3 tests with and without LessTele any, and go figure what's the deal.

MH-Alarm_fixv5
That one can be even fix12343. An ass is an ass, not a single time I could see problems in these hyper-fixed so called maps, I'm not even bother to look for it and what issues have this one, because If I'll do that I will release a fix without asking anyone nothing as long as I see a trash loaded for years and nobody moved a finger for fixing it. Usually a coder is able to do a fix in a map better than bunch of cube drawers at triggering subject.

PostNote: These are "mapping" bugs which might go in desired section (oops no MH section here - stupid me I forgot that :ironic: :ironic: ). You can subscribe at Hermskii's forum for debates around MH, and we can make some noise there because it was too quiet last time...
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Thank you! Then it is a map bug in map MH-EXU2-Shitstorm.
I have tested this map with and without LessTele2 and without it I had not the issue, but it was accident then.
I have not tested the Alarm map without the mutator yet because playing to the second spawn point needs some time :) I will do it asap.
But after your comment I think too that LessTele2 is not the reason for that, sorry for keep you with these...

Btw in the post about map MH-EXU2-Shitstorm you linked they speak about a second spawn point. But there is a third spawn point too (between both doors at mean building under the red electric field) where you spawned though you should not be there at this time.
Ok, I will have a look for a fixed version now...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bump.
Reason: Update time.
V3 is done having some flaws depending on map, Maps with BAD configured PlayerStarts are not supposed to have a deal with this tool. For me looks good enough so I went to share it.
[attachment=0]LessTele3.zip[/attachment]
Attachments
LessTele3.zip
Update done according to MH504 rules - which is somehow coding friendly...
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: No telefrag at start - update to V3

Post by papercoffee »

Thank you very much ...is it overwriting the old file or do I have to delete them first?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

LessTele2 had a .ini file - this is no longer needed presumably?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Mutator has in default properties some range if you want to be a bit more "efficient" you can configure in your INI this range to max 710 (to not spawn behind some unwanted wall - MH on purpose here), presuming start area might have a deal. By not creating INI you will have mainly 0 values mutator accelerating to minimum 100 radius check for collisions, probably mutator will not work very efficient. Creating INI is simple, just input "preferences" in console and look in config Widow for Mutators section, open mutator there, see values, toggle them a bit, close preferences, now you have INI file in system, you can edit it directly later.
papercoffee wrote:Thank you very much ...is it overwriting the old file or do I have to delete them first?
I think 2 mutators for the same purpose are only another useless load since v2 is not efficient in MH504. I recommend to stay with last one.

Another fact: At a moment by holding in system all sort of mutators some of them might get vanished. I think UT has a limited number of mutators in menu list so you will not have any advantage with 2000 mutators loaded, probably their number is not more than 255. I can recall that thing with "my UT is 80 GB". It's not more useful than a big piece of crap: conflicts, null menus, more garbage to load/unload, files versions mismatches, more hard-drive access, and so on...
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Post by UTNerd24 »

Very useful mod! Especially handy for some Unreal Map Ports like Loxi, which reccomends a player load of about 10, but has only about 5 spawns.
My only nitpick is the lack of the particle effect when someone respawns. But that's only a minor thing.
I originally thought that a workaround to the telefrags at the start was to have one player spawn every second like in Unreal's Botmatch, but I'd say this mod works even better what with being able to make new temporary spawns on the fly.
Way to go, Sektor!
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Note: This way of doing has been fired in some evening when I was testing some map. I was telefraged multiple times and I got mad in my testing spree. In that moment I went to think at some solution. Not the best ever, but... better than nothing. I did not aimed effects and fancy looking occurrences but, trying only to stop the damned telefrag.