How to prevent defaults to be modified in runtime?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

How to prevent defaults to be modified in runtime?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Is there a way to prevent class defaults for its own variables to be modified in game?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: How to prevent defaults to be modified in runtime?

Post by MrLoathsome »

Declare them as constants perhaps?
blarg
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I think there is no way to have them protected from changes. As far as I have understood the world's creation process, a template of every needed class is loaded into memory, containing default property values. (That's also the reason why you can call static function without having an instance of that class.)

I may be wrong, but AFAIK there is no way to protect property values in UE1; the modifier private only is available with UE2 and higher.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

MrLoathsome wrote:Declare them as constants perhaps?
This worked fine :D
Default values of const variables cannot be modified at runtime, the only problem was if I extended a class, setting its default const variable value, const variable values and constant values, if inside an extended class, they cannot be accessed and the returned value is the value of the same constant/const_vars from the superclass.
But using the "default" keyword on a class type(no instanced classes) solves this problem.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Take in account "ConsoleCommand", or you did not see my "AI_Modifier" moving PathNodes which have a very constant bStatic and which I happily moved as I wanted. Aside I'm not trying to understand the purpose of these... a hacked compilation will be able to screw things anyway and... Natives attached (example Botz Mutator) will not give a chance to your "constants" if somebody wants them properly ruined. Else go figure what constants are implemented in some "Levels" and "Mods" used :? .