Target Acquisition, Target Invisible?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
ANUBITEK
Adept

Target Acquisition, Target Invisible?

Post by ANUBITEK »

This is a topic I've been curious about for a while. I imagine that the bots will see a target despite whether or not they have an invisible texture applied to them, but why do bots in higher difficulties tend to see me more easily when I have an invisibility pickup in my inventory? I'm not quite sure where to look for this specifically in code. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Honestly I'm not going to use this for coding, I'd just like to know why I am seen despite having an invisibility pickup.
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Target Acquisition, Target Invisible?

Post by Barbie »

The UT_Invisibility just sets the display properties of the the owner and his weapon; nothing concerning the navigation network is done there.

Is far as I have understood Bot's vision, a Bot notices actively an enemy by SeePlayer()/HearNoise() or passively by getting attacked or bumped. Once an enemy is set for the bot, LineOfSightTo()/CanSee() are tracking the enemy and these functions simply do not check the display properties of the enemy.

This are wild guesses, let's see what the bot experts say. :)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Target Acquisition, Target Invisible?

Post by EvilGrins »

Invisibility is tricky in UT but as I've got Oldskool I've learned Unreal1 had it better.
· UT's invisibility leaves you clear with a very subtle shimmery outline when you're moving, but you are completely invisible if you don't move. Monsters & bots can see right through this, regardless.
· Unreal1's invisibility is completely invisible whether you're moving or not. Monsters won't see you unless you bump into them or shoot something within their line of sight. Bots, in CTF, won't notice you until you take their flag.

One of many reasons I often play certain UT games with Oldskool in effect.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758