Is the full source code for Unreal Tournament available?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
nullbyte
Novice

Is the full source code for Unreal Tournament available?

Post by nullbyte »

On the Nexus Mods website there's a download called "Unreal Tournament public source code (v432)":
http://www.nexusmods.com/unrealtourname ... 136/?tab=2

However, this is only 600KB in size and if it's not the full source code of the game then I'm not entirely sure what its purpose is.

I arrived at this question after searching for UT's source code so that I could better understand what certain commands in the game were actually doing. For example, in my other thread I'm trying to find out what the console command "GHOST" does to the PlayerPawn, and I thought I might find it in the above source code. However, it's not there.

So can anyone explain:

1) What is the above source code's purpose?
2) Is the "full" source code available somewhere?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Is the full source code for Unreal Tournament available?

Post by Dr.Flay »

They are old header files, and I am not sure why or where they originally surfaced, but this question always reappears.

Sorry but the full source is not publicly available, and the only group that were allowed to use it have long gone.
Smirftsch at OldUnreal was a member of that group, and currently is licensed to use the source for Unreal, not UT.

You don't need to look in the source code to find out what all the admin cheats are. Many sites list the full UT cheat commands.
GHOST, turns you into a ghost, so you can walk through walls.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Source Code is not public exactly because of people like you which are blindly screwing up. If Source-code would be public imagine a shit-load of engines more or less messed up doing craps in servers and making everyone to quit. Even if I have something (older), for such reasons I'm not posting anything.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

No need for such hostility.

The source code is not publicly available because it has not been open sourced; it remains copyrighted and protected by Epic. The reason it isn't open source is likely due to a large number of other developers licensed the engine and their games would also become 'open' if the code were released.

sector won't make his files public here because it is illegal to do so, as it is for him to posses them.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yes, the source code exists. IIRC it was posted by Russian hackers originally.

No, you shouldn't look at it. You don't need to. It's only going to point at the things you just can't access. Almost everyone here has made careers out of mod development/mapping/etc without needing it and you can too.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

You don't need the native sources to understand console commands. Most of them are defined as exec functions in UnrealScript anyway and you wouldn't even find them in the native sources. "GHOST", for example, is defined on line 2300 of the Engine.PlayerPawn class.

Just export the UnrealScript sources via UnrealEd and start browsing them with a tool like UnCodeX.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Carbon wrote:No need for such hostility.
Far from being an hostility is the truth which is painful, I know that...
If you want some closer evidences look at MapVote(s) and Nexgen(s).
It's a real explosion of versions but all of them have flaws because... we don't have a team around with different people taking care about their known side Pawns, UWindow, Arrays, etc. New coders were being attacking main tools used in servers rather than learning simple stuff first and then = lousy things.
Now try to imagine "Engines":
- version TH having 2 new iterators;
- version IT having less iterators but changed physics;
- version HH with anticheats implemented kicking with no reasons;
- version ZU optimized for LAN games breaking the rest.
Each guy running his "stuff" would be intended to make such a compatibility ignoring the rest like those mappers with their empty cubes Bot haters ignoring all pathing stuff and knowledge. :loool: Imagine these translated into another engine - only crashes...
Legal or Illegal, any source-code it's wise to be "lost" deleted - if you still do care about UT, else open Pandora's Box and have a "joy".
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:
Carbon wrote:No need for such hostility.
Far from being an hostility is the truth which is painful, I know that...
When sektor2111 is being hostile it means he loves you.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

Spoiler
Everyone else pretty much answered you on source code, but here is what is going on in with calling GHOST while possessing a PlayerPawn in-game:
Spoiler
Second, code:

Code: Select all

exec function Ghost()
{
	if( !bCheatsEnabled )
		return;

if ( !bAdmin && (Level.Netmode != NM_Standalone) )
		return;

UnderWaterTime = -1.0;	
	ClientMessage("You feel ethereal");
	SetCollision(false, false, false);
	bCollideWorld = false;
	GotoState('CheatFlying');
}
What goes on in the code is pretty simple, you have a boolean check to see if cheats are enabled. Then you check for admin and levelmode.

If cheats are enabled or you are admin in your server (barring cheats), then you have a variable set, a client message to proclaim you are ethereal (using a function call), you set collision (pay attention to how it is done!), collision to the world is set to false, then you GotoState('CheatFlying'). I'm sure somewhere in the code, if you looked, you could find out what would happen if you typed "WALK" into the console too.
tl;dr READ MORE, THE CODING COMES SECOND, FIRST YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO READ
also if you get your hands on source, dear god please don't do anything that fucks with collision. If you do, god help us all. . . It is the one thing we have that we know works. Don't take that away.

edit:
And if you want to get cheeky, you can make exec calls you can make. And they are called CONTROLS
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And now into the spirit...
We have "Ghost" because we have to check something. Is it fine ? Okay get back with "Walk". Now let me see your opinion about ON-Line code for this "return to normal" state in Net Play. Let me see your fix...
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:Now let me see your opinion about ON-Line code for this "return to normal" [from GHOST to WALK] state in Net Play.
I noticed that ghosting works online, but going back to normal state (WALK) fails with strange effects. Thanks extended (ghosted) spectator mode I can do necessary checks simply by joining as spectator. 8)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
nullbyte
Novice

Post by nullbyte »

@sektor: Believe it or not, I'm actually a programmer - but a JavaScript one. I wanted to browse the source to find almost exactly what Barbie posted (i.e. the various steps taken to make a player GHOST) - that's all. I certainly won't be releasing a modified UT engine any time soon!

So only slightly related, but why does the "WALK" command not work during online play? What strange things are happening that prevent the player from walking again? And why do I die ("leave a small crater") whenever I GHOST into a slime or lava zone online regardless of my health?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

nullbyte wrote:I certainly won't be releasing a modified UT engine any time soon!
Now that's a good point...
nullbyte wrote:So only slightly related, but why does the "WALK" command not work during online play?
To avoid too much talk with no relevant results fire game in DedicatedServer mode (put an admin password in ini) an join to your LAN server. Adminlogin there try <ghost> then <walk> and... <behindview 1>. One of reasons making me to use another player-class in my custom games in THIS one nearby the rest of super duper fixes by UTPG.
nullbyte
Novice

Post by nullbyte »

sektor2111 wrote:fire game in DedicatedServer mode (put an admin password in ini) an join to your LAN server. Adminlogin there try <ghost> then <walk> and... <behindview 1>.
So the player doesn't return to walking state. What causes this to happen? Has nobody made a fix for this?
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

I believe using SpecStart will fix that.
blarg