Bizarre "Half-Crash" Error as of late

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Bizarre "Half-Crash" Error as of late

Post by UTNerd24 »

For the past few weeks, I've been experiencing a surreal error that I have never seen prior, nor have I ever seen anyone else have it.

The best way I can describe it is, My system cursor appears and shows the Busy symbol, Any input will make it freeze up entirely, but If I wait, The game minimizes into window size, but it shows as if it is still full screen, therefore heavily cropped. Here's the interesting part: The UT icon disappears from the taskbar, and I can only close the game through the Task manager. The game seems to only crash this way if I try loading a large pack at once. E.g: Nali Weapons 3 and Excessive Unreal 2. Only does it sometimes though. Usually on my second try, It loads without problem.

So, does anyone know what's happening and if theres a fix? Its never happened before and really has me scratching my head. While it doesn't destroy my ability to play the game entirely, It does get on my nerves. So yeah, an explanation would be appreciated.
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Re: Bizarre "Half-Crash" Error as of late

Post by Aldebaran »

I suppose that the problem occurres not while downloading but rather while installing the big package after downloading? In that time I can't do anything too and the screen is "frozen". Perhaps something else happens too in that time, perhaps a hardware problem that becomes noticeable during heavy load?
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Post by UTNerd24 »

It seems that increasing my Cache size has marginally fixed the problem, But I still find it a very strange error. If anyone has further information, Do tell.
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
nah

Post by nah »

Put simple: The bug is caused by the windows hangup detection replacing the window context with a fake one after the application did not handle messages in a certain amount of time. And at lesat OpenGLDrvs doesn't seem to like to operate on the fake context.

A bit of detail is given here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

As a workaround one can throw in some PeekMessage() calls before/after sections of code which can take a while.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I've had a similar issue happen since I've got Windows 10, but not entirely because of that.

Win10's got an annoying habit of popping up little messages, asking me to go onto the cloud or telling me about an update or a ton of other things. If I'm playing UT at the time... about 45% of the time what you describe happens. Although I don't use Taskmaster to close UT... I just click the UT icon on the taskbar and go back into the game.

The other way it occurs is due to the fact I have a new keyboard and it's got a button in a truly inconvenient location. Except for sniping I'm largely a keyboard player, and whenever I even so much as brush that button with my palm, what you describe happens. Again, I get back into UT same easy way as before.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

Could it be related to those mods' gore mechanisms messing with each other?

I remember getting a hell lot of crashes when I mixed NW3 with EXU2 content during matches, cutting down drastically on the amount of (NW3 especially) gibs shown and decals by both mods sort of fixed it, but it's still risky when trying out the RT Oversurrection with the teleporting razors gibbing the entire map in less than a second.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

nah wrote:Put simple: The bug is caused by the windows hangup detection replacing the window context with a fake one after the application did not handle messages in a certain amount of time. And at lesat OpenGLDrvs doesn't seem to like to operate on the fake context.

A bit of detail is given here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

As a workaround one can throw in some PeekMessage() calls before/after sections of code which can take a while.
Holy cow. Hello! Welcome!
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?