Getting a remote level object

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Getting a remote level object

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Can you think of a way to get the remote level object?
I was thinking, maybe you get it by querying the server, but I didn't check the code for it.
Last edited by PrinceOfFunky on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Wormbo
Adept

Re: Getting the a remote level object

Post by Wormbo »

There is no access to the remote level object. If you want access to properties of a non-replicated object, you will have to use a replicated actor to replicate the data manually.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Getting the a remote level object

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Wormbo wrote:There is no access to the remote level object. If you want access to properties of a non-replicated object, you will have to use a replicated actor to replicate the data manually.
There's this function into WarpZoneInfo.uc :

Code: Select all

// Set up this warp zone's destination.
simulated event ForceGenerate()
{
	if( InStr(OtherSideURL,"/") >= 0 )
	{
		// Remote level.
		//log( "Warpzone " $ Self $ " remote" );
		OtherSideLevel = None;
		OtherSideActor = None;
	}
	else
	{
		// Local level.
		OtherSideLevel = XLevel;
		foreach AllActors( class 'WarpZoneInfo', OtherSideActor )
			if( string(OtherSideActor.ThisTag)~=OtherSideURL && OtherSideActor!=Self )
				break;
		//log( "Warpzone " $ Self $ " local, connected to " $ OtherSideActor );
	}
}
It means they were trying to make portals work with remote levels, it would have been lot cool(even if cheayers would have tried to use it of course).
That's why I asked about a way to get the remote level object. Maybe a real player connection with the remote server could be of help, it could send the object from the remote server to the local machine.
p.s. I tried using "unreal://127.0.0.1#WarpZoneInfoTagHere" while having a local dedicated server opened, but it didn't work.

Thanks for the answer anyway :D
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Getting a remote level object

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I guess this could be done somehow now, since there can be access to a remote level object.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:I guess this could be done somehow now, since there can be access to a remote level object.
What is the aim of it? Do you want to have a "window" that shows a part of a map running on another server? Or do you just want to teleport into a map on a different server?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Barbie wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:I guess this could be done somehow now, since there can be access to a remote level object.
What is the aim of it? Do you want to have a "window" that shows a part of a map running on another server? Or do you just want to teleport into a map on a different server?
A Window, I know teleporting to another server is doable, but as I wrote in a previous post, WarpZoneInfo was initially intended to let you see and warp to other levels, probably outside of the server you're in.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:WarpZoneInfo was initially intended to let you see and warp to other levels, probably outside of the server you're in.
This would imply that the local engine has access to the brushwork of the remote map so that it knows what to display. Furthermore changing properties of non static Actors have to be transferred (replicated) from the remote server (imagine a remote cow wandering in front of the warp zone).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, you can't even get skyzones to work right. Good luck with seeing what's up on another server.
So long, and thanks for all the fish