Idea feedback requested: Monster Master

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Idea feedback requested: Monster Master

Post by JackGriffin »

So I was really thinking about creating three classes for the simplified MH I want to do as a way of making it stand apart from normal MH. You will choose to be either a Fighter, Healer, or Monster Master. I've yet to work out balance but it would obviously be along the lines of
Fighter: Stronger attacks, weaker health, bigger ammo count
Healer: Weaker attacks, stronger health, medium ammo count, ability to self heal very slowly or teammate heal quicker
Monster Master: Weak attack, weak health, medium ammo count, ability to control one monster at a time

The monster master would somehow take control of a monster (not sure how yet) and then order it to attack other monsters. Here's how it would look:
lKWBYLZ0P28

Of course you won't always get a queen to control :P Anyhow before I tear apart scripted pawn to do this right is anyone interested in such a thing? This will be a lot of work to get right and I would like to know there is some interest before I start.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Idea feedback requested: Monster Master

Post by OjitroC »

Trying to play the video, I get a "This video is unavailable" message.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote:Trying to play the video, I get a "This video is unavailable" message.
Here the same.

But I like the initial idea of classes for MH with a load-out of specific weapons for each class.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm sorry, I forgot to publish after uploading. Should be good now.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Interesting.

Tell us more!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I really need to sit down and work out balance issues before I begin but I'm thinking of doing something like the monster master having some sort of meter they will need to fill and monsters will require "X" amount of that meter to be controlled. That means you will have to build up towards controlling a titan or warlord but grabbing a pupae or krall wouldn't take much.

I might do this by having the monster master spawn with a magic staff, also a melee weapon, that will charge up as you do things. The larger the charge gets means you will be able to compel larger and more powerful monsters.

This is all really rough and mostly is just sitting in my head but I have been disassembling scripted pawn to see if it's entirely doable. As you can see from the demo it isn't hard to make a monster into a teammate but to actually control it will require a lot more work even for a follow-and-protect-my-master paradigm. Even then I'll have to account for some monsters being unable to be compelled since they are tagged to control events within the map. There's a lot to consider here but I'm fairly convinced that there's enough to make it interesting, especially if you worked with an idea towards balanced gameplay and interesting content.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:I might do this by having the monster master spawn with a magic staff, also a melee weapon, that will charge up as you do things.
Kinda reminds me of the Dark Magic mutator. You use spellbooks as weapons with spells and mana for ammo.

One of them is the Dark Summon, the more energy you have and the longer the experience you have with the spell, the larger the monster you can summon... and it attacks anyone that comes near you.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758