Anyone ever try to do complex sprite animation?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Marscaleb
Average

Anyone ever try to do complex sprite animation?

Post by Marscaleb »

This one is really out there, but... Has anyone here ever tried to do any complex sprite animation in UT99 or UT2K4?
I once tried to do it in UDK, and I managed to get an actor to change its sprite on cue but I could never get it to change back. (I was still a beginner to programming back then, though.)

I'm wondering if this is something possible within UE1 or UE2. I realize of course that I'd have to program a whole system to handle any really complex sprite animations, but right now I'm curious if it is even possible.
What I'm really thinking I'd like to try is to make sprites that change depending on what angle you are viewing them, like in Doom.
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Re: Anyone ever try to do complex sprite animation?

Post by 'Zac »

well, if you go to the level editor and you look through the default texture pack called botpack, u can see individual textures for sprite animations such as muzzle flashes and explosions. also, actors that have icons in the level editor can be changed and not hidden in game, actor.icon is a texture I think, also actor.bHidden or similar lines. combine with maybe tick or timer () to change icon every so amount of time to another frame texture and viola I guess, as good as it can get imo
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: Anyone ever try to do complex sprite animation?

Post by ShaiHulud »

Perhaps Sp0ngeB0b's post will be helpful.

LannFyre has been doing a lot of sprite work in Unreal.