I hadn't intended to post again but I'm migrating computers and this folder was sitting there staring at me. Might as well share it.
OK, this might be a long read so just bear with me. The TL/DR is this is a gametype. It's not quite done but I'm out. Finish it if you want but know there are legal issues if you do so.
Alright, here we go....Unreal Tournament BattleGrounds is a total replacement gametype mod for use in any DM map. Core gameplay is very much like PUBG/Fortnite in that players spawn with a collapsing zone that forces them together until only one person remains.The game runs on a hybrid of LastManStanding and Deathmatch in that you only get a single life per game. If you die then you are out. The weapons are forced to be real world machine guns, pistols, rifles, melee weapons, grenades, etc. You'll need to find and grab health pickups, manage ammo and reloading, and avoid venturing into the collapsing zone or you take damage.
The game is about 85% done. I stopped working on it because BlueHole (the owner of PUBG) started suing everyone and I got an email over my YT videos that previewed the mod. Thank God I hadn't released it yet or I'd have been in serious trouble. I put a LOT of work into this though and I don't want it to just be lost. I'm posting the source code as well as the compiled current version but the zip is passworded. Don't download it unless I know you and trust you, otherwise you aren't getting the password. The game runs, it works online with a few minor issues and it's really close to an early beta release.
The rest of this pertains to coders as they will likely be the people interested in using parts of this game. It's going to be a bit scattershot but here's a rundown of things included in UTBG:
- I used the CSWeapons as a base but went through one by one redoing them to fit this gametpye. I fixed animation errors, reloading problems, ammo usage, etc. They are in pretty good shape and would export nicely out to be used in another game *cough Heston cough* There are various guns from pistols all the way up to heavy machine guns and very powerful sniper rifles. Each has pros and cons though and the weapons you elect to carry will decide how well you do in the match.
- In PUBG there are texture sprays for some of the testing groups that are scattered around the map. I created a system in this mod that selects random areas and puts graffiti on the walls to mimic these. The system has a ton of uses otherwise, you could place decals and textures all over your map if you wanted now. Clan tags, random pictures, porn, blood sprays, whatever. It's all created at map loading so the players will only see the results: pictures in random places. I took care to properly orient the pictures as well as make sure they weren't too high or low on the wall. Everything should render into the normal visual field of play.
- There are random airdrops in PUBG and I added those into this. The mod has a really cool check routine to find an area large enough to mimic a plane flying over and dropping a crate. The players have to get to the crate, get the loot, but not get killed by others trying to get it. Everything is risk/reward. The parachute and crate spawns, drops down to the map, then emits red smoke to mark it's location. Bust it open to attain the top tier weapons inside.
- There is an extensive rewrite to HUD and scoreboard to fit the mod. Pertinent information is on-screen at all times.
- Custom announcer package. I actually paid a couple of pro voice guys to do the end-game stuff. It's really good, some of them are funny too.
- The collapsing zone...I'll hit on that at the end. It's extensive.
- Grenades included are smoke (that actually works like real smoke), incendiary (really burns stuff), FlashBang, and explosive.
- Health pickups are all custom and done in the style of PUBG.
- Armor upgrades include various levels of helmets and vests. Good helmets prevent headshots
- Killed players drop a PUBG style crate.
- I included the Frying Pan from PUBG. Having it on your person can literally save your life by deflecting a bullet even if it's not equipped.
- A ton of other small, neat things. I'm just tired of typing now. You get the idea....
A note about the collapsing zone: When you use this mod on a DM map it iterates through the playerstarts and finds the two that are furthest apart. Then it uses that number and converts it to a proper drawscale for the collapsing zone (CZ) that will ensure that all playerstarts begin inside the zone. It adds a small bit too so that the playerstarts on the extreme ends still can spawn and move a few moments but they will need to begin traveling towards the center, which is marked in the HUD compass. The CZ drawscale then begins to decline and the effect is that the zone collapses into itself. This forces the action as the players will need to eventually come together or die to taking damage outside the zone.
I got really REALLY close to getting this perfect but I could never overcome the zone disappearing from view if you look at certain angles. Ferali and I talked at length and he assures me it can be solved but I just couldn't ever get it. Aside from that the CZ works flawlessly. I tested it in maps where the drawscale went over 1000X and the playerstarts were at opposite ends of a map that used the entire editor grid. It still collapsed just like it needed to. If someone could fix that final problem this could be a hellaciously fun way to play DM/LMS maps even if you didn't use anything else from this mod.
OK, fuck it. I'm tired and this is taking too long to type. The zip will stay posted for 30 days here: https://ufile.io/cpcro
Remember, it's passworded and I'm not handing it out to just anyone. I avoided getting my ass sued once and I'm not interested in doing that again. If I know you and trust you then you are welcome to take and use anything in this mod you want, just don't use the PUBG inspired textures. There's a whole lot here for someone to take apart and use on their projects and that's why I didn't want it to get lost to time.
Peace out guys. Don't reply to me via PM's, I won't read them as I never log in here. If you want the password then email/call me. If we don't email then don't waste your time. I'm not taking a legal hit so you can rush this onto a server in it's current state. That being said if you have questions then email me and I'll always reply. I only did a glancing explanation of this mod but it's really hard to tell and not just show. I can't post the videos though
Peace out guys. Take care of UT. I had a good time.