Portalgun

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
OwYeaW
Experienced

Portalgun

Post by OwYeaW »

yo,

about 6 months ago i stopped working on this (almost finished) Portalgun, now id like to pick it up again and finish it.
this is the first weapon that ive created in UT, ive learned a lot while making it and eventually got most of the functionality working, but got stuck at a few minor bugs which i couldnt seem to solve by myself.
now while i start again to try and fix these minor bugs, id like to have tips and advice on how to fix them.

https://github.com/OwYeaW/BTPlusPlusTou ... TPortalGun

bugs:
  • - 1st person weapon animations + rate of fire are not properly working online; there is basically no rate of fire and you can interrupt the playing fire animation to shoot again
    offline it works fine; while holding fire, once the fire animation is finished it will fire again
    (this bug also causes the weapon to get jammed and unable to shoot when a player shoots asap after picking up the weapon, probably a known bug? fire states? replication/simulation?)

- Fire/Hit effects doesnt work properly online, other players are unable to see your fire/hit effects (again replication/simulation issue?

- Water -> Land teleporting bug
    this seems to happen only online; when a player uses a portal underwater to exit a portal out of the water, the player doesnt get teleported at the exit portal, but somewhere between the entry and exit portal
    i remember that ive tried many different ways of code to teleport the player, but nothing seemed to fix this bug

- dropped weapons should be "teleportable" and spawned weapons shouldnt (how to distinguish between them)
    i remember trying different ways of coding to have this done, but didnt get this properly working yet
so these 4 bugs are currently the main focus, the current version of the portalgun has been tested by many players on online servers already
occasionally the server crashed because of some (yet) unknown reasons

besides the 4 bugs, im looking for possible improvements of the portal's visuals
it would be great if you could look through the portals like its a warpzone
it (kinda) has been done already in Unreal v227j:
would something like this be possible in UT?

btw, anyone is free to use my work, if you like to try the portalgun, heres a download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... _beta_v1.u
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Portalgun

Post by OjitroC »

OwYeaW wrote: ... if you like to try the portalgun, heres a download link
I thought I would just try this out and so tried summoning it in-game; however I got an error message 'Can't find SkeletalMesh BTPortalGun_beta_v1.v_portalgun'.
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

OjitroC wrote:
I thought I would just try this out and so tried summoning it in-game; however I got an error message 'Can't find SkeletalMesh BTPortalGun_beta_v1.v_portalgun'.
did you try "summon btportalgun_beta_v1.portalgun"?
Dizzy
Experienced
Personal rank: Oaf

Post by Dizzy »

OjitroC wrote:
You can play OwYeaW's test map on any of the BunnyTrack.net servers:

UK1: 176.58.120.227:7777
UK2: 176.58.120.227:8888
USA: 50.116.23.187:7777

Say !vote and then vote for CTF-BT-PortalGunMap1-v1 or CTF-BT-PortalGun_Beta5
Join the BunnyTrack.net Discord chat server: https://www.bunnytrack.net/discord