Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
SzGergo
Skilled
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by SzGergo »

Hi,
i am totally layman when it comes to scripts, and have very little knowledge on how things work, so maybe it is not the best place to ask, but:
Is there a way to somehow change the color of the "darkness" (that is, how the lack of lighting normally represneted) from black to something else?
(the purpose of this would be to experiment fakeing some atmospheric fog by the using of simple lighting....)
User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 10244
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by papercoffee »

Do you mean in your map? Or general for every map?

For your map you don't need any uscript ...use the zone-lighting. set its brightness to 1 or 2 and give it a colour.
In my Northern Lights map did I use this to make the darkness of the night dark blue/purple.
User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

That's the first step to realistic lighting, second step should be cylinder lights for sun light :D
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
SzGergo
Skilled
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by SzGergo »

papercoffee wrote:Do you mean in your map? Or general for every map?

For your map you don't need any uscript ...use the zone-lighting. set its brightness to 1 or 2 and give it a colour.
In my Northern Lights map did I use this to make the darkness of the night dark blue/purple.
In my map, or to be more particular, in a given zone.

Howver, simple AmbientLighting won't cut it, for it just generally adds some value to every part of ever lightmap, making everything visible.

What i really want is soemthing similar what you can normally do with the "ViewFog" parameters under ZoneLighting. However that simply just "tints" the players view, (not the actual textures on the faces, obviously), so it only takes effect if the player is in that particular Zone.

What i am looking for, is if there a way to somehow modulate the textures / lightmaps in a Zone.
(So this has something to do how the actual stuff is rendered to begin with... but Is this accessible via some simple, or not so simple scripting, or it is just encapsulated deep in the engine, and that is that?)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Posts: 3767
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by JackGriffin »

It's for the 227 Unreal update but there is a non-light actor. Think of it as a negative light, you can use it to place darkness. The effect is quite unsettling when done correctly and would be just what you needed for this. Sadly, it won't work in UT. Still you can do some changes by adding a very low saturation color to a zone actor and use a very low brightness. This will give a gentle nudge to the dark color.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
User avatar
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

SzGergo wrote:What i am looking for, is if there a way to somehow modulate the textures / lightmaps in a Zone.
(So this has something to do how the actual stuff is rendered to begin with... but Is this accessible via some simple, or not so simple scripting, or it is just encapsulated deep in the engine, and that is that?)
I think you can put a solid modulated color overlay with the HUD.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
SzGergo
Skilled
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by SzGergo »

JackGriffin wrote:It's for the 227 Unreal update but there is a non-light actor. Think of it as a negative light, you can use it to place darkness. The effect is quite unsettling when done correctly and would be just what you needed for this. Sadly, it won't work in UT. Still you can do some changes by adding a very low saturation color to a zone actor and use a very low brightness. This will give a gentle nudge to the dark color.
Oh, that would be my other question!

I wanted to have an "antilgiht" actor so badly.
Basically the same thing as a normal light, but it would have a negative lighting value.
So is such thing not possible in UT?
User avatar
Iacobus
Average
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by Iacobus »

SzGergo wrote:Is there a way to somehow change the color of the "darkness" (that is, how the lack of lighting normally represneted) from black to something else?
SzGergo wrote:...the purpose of this would be to experiment fakeing some atmospheric fog by the using of simple lighting....)
It sounds like you're talking about volumetric lighting:
fogzoneoff_1.jpg
fogzoneedit_1.jpg
fogzoneon_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Posts: 3767
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by JackGriffin »

SzGergo wrote: Basically the same thing as a normal light, but it would have a negative lighting value.
So is such thing not possible in UT?
Short answer: no.
Not so short answer: Getting this in 227 required changes to the core that only Smirf has access to do. It's not possible to be done that way in UT. It's a shame too because visually it's a very cool effect. You can make a spinning black hole in the center of a room that looks amazing. It's like the light is getting sucked in.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 6133
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by sektor2111 »

In UT I got this - apology but I do not have so much Level-Design skill...
[attachment=0]MH-A_Test_Level_7.png[/attachment]
As far as I know Dark is always Black but... might be not really dark and having a bit of red tendency...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 10244
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:As far as I know Dark is always Black but... might be not really dark and having a bit of red tendency...
Nope ...shades have always the complimentary colour of the light-source.
Yellow lights creates blueish tinted shades, red lights greenish one etc.
It has to do with how light works.
SzGergo
Skilled
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Changeing the "color" of the darkness?

Post by SzGergo »

Iacobus wrote:
SzGergo wrote:Is there a way to somehow change the color of the "darkness" (that is, how the lack of lighting normally represneted) from black to something else?
SzGergo wrote:...the purpose of this would be to experiment fakeing some atmospheric fog by the using of simple lighting....)
It sounds like you're talking about volumetric lighting:
As far as i know, volumetric lighting is generally tend to be disabled. (Guess that's because it is very-very resource demanding)
If the "darkness" could be set exchanged with some othr color (eg light grey), then distant atmospheric fog could be mimicked very nicely using only super cheap regular lighting.