UScript

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
illmat|c
Novice

UScript

Post by illmat|c »

I have some small questions on UScript if anybody is willing to help me out, it will be appreciated.
First question I have is, can WOTGreal compile your code into a .u file? Where can I take a lot at the source code of unreal tournament, and what is a good way to start learning from it? My major problem is this, lets say I make a mutator which makes, I dunno, increases the firing rate of a sniper, and it is coded, and once I compile it where do I put the file, for example... do I put it in the system folder, or do I have to insert it back to a botpack file or w/e that needs to be done, thank you.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: UScript

Post by Feralidragon »

In a simple answer: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/

Best ways to learn is by trial and error with some help from tutorials.
I don't know WOT Greal, but try to use UnCodex to understand and see the UT source files (UScript only of course) and UMake to build the .u files.
The final files go to their respective folders, in your case: .u, .int and .ini go to the same folder: System.

But go to the link above and read the tutorials and stuff first, but attention, read the UT only ones (since they mixed UT with UT2004 and such).
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled
Personal rank: Clan Server Admin

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

I am no Coder but i can tell you WotGreal will do what your after..
it will compile and put .U files into the System folder, it will even allow you to compare scripts side by side. its a great program you just need to play and learn its features.
..Image
illmat|c
Novice

Post by illmat|c »

Ok thanks, aslong as WOTgreal will compile, and do most of the work for me it will help a lot, and I found the ut99 script online, I should of just searched it, but now I have all the code for the botpack.u and engine.u. And I actually never heard of UMake, is that program really necessary, can't I just use wotgreal to do it. Anyways thanks, I'll begin by looking at the mutators and try learning from them, but first theres still a lot of information I need to learn about OOP in general.
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

Umake is from what i recall a compiling program very simple to use and gives any errors you will get. you just drag and drop the project "into it" to compile.
WotGreal is a "All in, everything you need included" program for doing everything from uncompiling to recompiling.
if you have the knowledge theres many functions and tools provided within it.
sometimes, its easier to use combinations of programs.
WotGreal for editing script, extracting images, sounds, uc files ect.
altho Ued can do all of those too.
Umake for compiling until you learn how Wot Greal or Ued works.
..Image
illmat|c
Novice

Post by illmat|c »

Ok thanks, that cleared up everything for me, I probably will d/l Umake then just to be sure of how to compile, thank you.
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

A small tip i discovered with WotGreal, no-one seemed to know how to cure this problem when i asked people about it.

once you have set up WotGreal to work from your UT99, on the top menu goto tools, then "ucc exporter" from the list. this should display every .u file within your system folder listed from "a-z".
originally mine only displayed from "a-j" no one seemed to know why.
I discovered the cure is look at the last name in your list of your ucc window.
then goto your system folder and arrange this folders content by name.
then check the names of any files imediatly after your last name in the ucc window list.
if the next name in your system folder contains any charectors which WotGreal does not like, it will ignore the rest of the content of your system folders .U files.
so remove the offending file from your system folder.
then press "refresh" on the .ucc window your list should now complete unless there is a name issue you need to fix the same way.

if you encounter that problem it will save you alot of time wondering why you cant see all the .u files, some of which you may need to look at the code for.
..Image
illmat|c
Novice

Post by illmat|c »

Wow, thanks a bunch, next time I list them out I'll make sure its all the way through a-z :P. And one more question, will wotgreal work for the DEMO of ut99? Sounds crazy, I know, but I'm interested because ut99demo community is actually still alive.
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

now idea m8, you can only "try it" to find out. :loool:
..Image