Dane's source code

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Dane's source code

Post by JackGriffin »

I have begun posting Dane's source codes for some of his more involved works. I'll be posting mods all weekend as I get time so check back if you don't see anything of interest. These are source codes, not ready-to-use mods.

You do not have to register to get these if you choose not to. If you see things you are interested in, email me and I'll send you the zips back. I just did it this way so the files can be easily grabbed.

I hope to have everything posted by tomorrow night but there is a lot to get to.

http://www.gopostals.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
So long, and thanks for all the fish
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: Dane's source code

Post by MrLoathsome »

Interesting....

Who is Dane ? Looks like he wrote a lot of stuff.

I took a look at the BloodyMess code. Here is the description from the code site:
Just what it sounds like...headshots are a bloody mess. I *think* this needs a little bit of work for online play. It has a very slight lag when spawning the effects. He might have fixed that though, I'm just not sure.
I could see what the intended goal was, I think.
Looked very interesting, however that code ain't never even compiled the way it was....
Perhaps this one was just a very rough draft of an idea that never got finished.

So I spent a few minutes and got it to compile. As I expected it crashed instantly.
If you look at the 2 original source files, the main class has 2 loops where it spawns
80 copies of the BloodDrop class. And then the BloodDrop class was trying to spawn
160 copies of itself. Knew that would end quickly and badly....

Rather than give up on it, I spent a few hours tweaking it into a functional mutator
that I hope accomplishes what Dane intended with it.

I took out the headshot code, and config file variable, and just made it a death effect
mutator. Works on players, bots and monsters.
Headshot only option should be easy to add to the rewrite at this point if needed.

Seems to work fine both offline and on my DM server.
Note, if you use it in a gametype where a lot of pawns are likely to die all at once, I suspect
this version will lag things down at that point. Will be testing that soon.

Changes I had to make were too many to list. Compare the source code included in the attached to
the original source at Jacks link above.

Enjoy !

*1st draft deleted. See this thread for updated mutator: http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3168
Last edited by MrLoathsome on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Dane's source code

Post by JackGriffin »

Dane used to have me pop onto his server all the time and test things. This was one of those things we tested but I think it was used in one of the older AdultSetup mods for the pron server. It stands out to me because there was a constant hiccup on headshots that never went away and I think he discarded the project. This code was likely a rough draft to what he was using in the actual mod. Still I don't think he ever got it just right and gave up. Of the people in the UT-verse, you'd be the guy who could fix it and I'm glad you did.
So long, and thanks for all the fish