Who?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
[FsA]Lordinario
Novice

Who?

Post by [FsA]Lordinario »

The question is, who has some experience on coding, UnrealScript, the unreal engine, and that kind of things?

What sorto of things have you done?
TheCorey
Experienced
Personal rank: Evil mapper

Post by TheCorey »

I've have tried to do some custom power up and make a custom weapon.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Re: Who?

Post by Shadow »

Well I spoke with Shade and I'm going to be the moderator for this forum. I have a wide range of experience in general programming (being able to do so for almost 7 year) and especially in UScript and C++. I was the Leader of "Lost Secrets of Na Pali" and I'm currently working on the UT Extension Pack, guess that should qualify me^^
Ronaldo1
Novice
Personal rank: XenFighter

Post by Ronaldo1 »

Shadow wrote:Well I spoke with Shade and I'm going to be the moderator for this forum. I have a wide range of experience in general programming (being able to do so for almost 7 year) and especially in UScript and C++. I was the Leader of "Lost Secrets of Na Pali" and I'm currently working on the UT Extension Pack, guess that should qualify me^^
:gj: Good Luck!
Skill to Kill
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I don't have that much coding experience, but I did some stuff:
- Final Weapons (they are 6 and replaces the Redeemer)
- Racers (10 cars for vehicle maps or CTFs, with boost and weapons)

Now I am doing a SP mod called "Mission Ultimate", and I already did many weapons:
- Mobille Satellite (launches a satellite to the sky where you can view from)
- Ionizer (makes the satellite fire an ion beam to where you pointed with this weapon)
- Flame Tracker (you can launch flames, throw some inflamable gel to fire it up in some bot :lol: )
- Bolt Rifle (fires electricity descharges and have a powerful combo)
- The Miner (throws Sticky Mines and Land Mines)

Doing now the MultiMissile Launcher, and next the last weapon, the Graviton.
Then I will create some vehicles, some powerups and so.

But I am still a noob at UnrealScript, I guess.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

I have no experience in unrealscript. But I have some experience in other programming languages. If I would put my ass down and start messing around whit Uscript I would definately learn it.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Myth wrote:I have no experience in unrealscript. But I have some experience in other programming languages. If I would put my ass down and start messing around whit Uscript I would definately learn it.
If you have experience in C++ (which I think you have), then for you UnrealScript would very easy to learn :wink:

I have little experience in C++ and Visual Basic 6, so UnrealScript as programming language is kinda easy for me, but i am still a noob in Unreal Script, so I can't do anything really good right now, as I am still learning.

Now I am exploring the Pawn's properties and variables to build my own terrain vehicle (like a tank), which is going to be kinda hard I guess.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

I know

0.001% of C++
0.01% of C
0.1% of Basic
1% of HTML
10% of TP

lol-d?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Myth wrote:I know

0.001% of C++
0.01% of C
0.1% of Basic
1% of HTML
10% of TP

lol-d?
I don't know what you mean with 0.001%, as C++ is being improved everyday :wink:

But if so, then I will show you what I know about those languages, and some more:

0.0000001% C++ (maybe I am exagerating, less than that :loool: )
0.00000005% C
0.01 Basic
1% HTML (as HTML is not a programming language, but well :roll: )
What's TP? :noidea

Other languages:
Noob in UnrealScript, wich makes me maybe at 5% of UnrealScript (as I can create some weapons, vehicles in the next week maybe, scripted decoration, other little stuff, but nothing more)

Maybe 10% of LabView
60% Assembly (as it depends on the hardware itself)

I think this makes me a noob programmer in general, as I am not programmer yet, and there's a far long way to be one :wink:
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Ok, numbers don't count. There are a lot of shitty programming languages out there.
What counts is that I know what variables and loops and stuff like that are.
So If I'd start messing around in Uscript I would surely learn it.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Myth wrote:Ok, numbers don't count. There are a lot of shitty programming languages out there.
Sure, is how the thing works. I think trial and error is sometimes better than any tutorial, because we learn how it works for ourselfs, which kills any doubts about anything :tu:
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

Feralidragon wrote:
Myth wrote:Ok, numbers don't count. There are a lot of shitty programming languages out there.
Sure, is how the thing works. I think trial and error is sometimes better than any tutorial, because we learn how it works for ourselfs, which kills any doubts about anything :tu:
POST!

best way to learn is trial and error, you remember things better when you learn that way.

i have done countless simple mutators like custom flags, triggers etc. i also did all of the Nemesis-X/XF mods, the NXStealth, which is a mutator that works along-side the Nemesis-XF and when picked up by a pilot it puts jet in invisibility mode (replaces UT_invisibility), this add on only works with the {HoF} Nemesis-XF, found on {HoF} server #3.

i have done more but cant name names right now, memory isnt as good as it used to be, have been around UT99 from the day it was released had a year break came back and everything i learned about UT99 is self taught, it is the best way to learn.
gades
Average
Personal rank: UT BotMast3r

Post by gades »

So far, the only thing I've tried to do is write a mutator that changes the FX skin on the health pickups.

Such a simple thing. Code WOULD have worked too, if only the bloody compiler had recognized the (perfectly legal STOCK texture) I wanted to use.

Grr!!!!