Upsidedown Tentacle Challenge

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
UTX
Skilled

Re: Upsidedown Tentacle Challenge

Post by UTX »

We have seen people turn the Mercenary, Krall and Slith into playable models, perhaps others, so we know it is possible. Why not all creatures? Have a monster match in which you play as a creature and you acquire points to transform into a stronger creature, kind of a class based combat, but each class is a new creature.
Acoma
Average

Post by Acoma »

that would actually make sense considering what the original unreal game was supposed to be like, maybe one day it might come true, lots of unbelievable things have become a reality in the modding community

also im pretty sure those 'people' you are referring to are solely alcapowned :tu:
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

That's the secret, he's several people into a single body.

EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Chamberly wrote:I've seen some moving tentacles, but I can't recall the maps they were on.
I've only seen them moving on maps where they were "attached" to the surface of water, when they rest of its bodies were underwater.
heliumcat wrote:Or jumping tentacles while we're at it.
Or tentacles that can reach out to discarded weapons and shoot at players with those. (It's got the instagib...RUN!)
UTX wrote:We have seen people turn the Mercenary, Krall and Slith into playable models, perhaps others, so we know it is possible. Why not all creatures?
Already exists. Forget the name of it (JackGriffin used to host games with it) but you can play as an Unreal1 monster.

Personally I liked playing with the Warlord. It's got a "teleport" built in the monster where you turn invisible and can move to anywhere on the map before becoming visible again. That and it flies!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

FXANBSS wrote:Ok, this is enough, STOP THE SPAM.

The poor cow can't make anything.
MOOOOOO! Cows can make stuff, we are just slow and kind of dim in the head.

Don't worry. I haven't forgot. Got a bit sidetracked by this project.... :roll:

The Freaking Sharks will be updated before I look at making any Upsidedown Tentacle helmets or Tentacle spawning ammo
or any of those ideas.

I am thinking I will be using a bit of code I have for the MoreBlood mutator that attaches the various
bleeder effects to players/pawns. I know it works fast and works online and should be able to tweak it
to both attach freaking laser beams to the freaking sharks heads as well as attaching freaking Tentacle helmets
on freaking players heads. (Or even other monsters, maybe....)

Re: The Tents.

Made some progress last day or 2 I think. In Addition to having them move about on land via Walking Physics, I have a Spider
Physics mode working very well. Walking or Spider modes will be optional.
Due to horrible, unspeakable things some of the native code does to Rotation, I can not get them to move while
inverted, so they will not be slithering along like snails, but the Spider/Bloblet mode is pretty cool. It is Unreal even. :wtf:

Default behavior will be stationary and upside down. These will now have full 360* placement options, maybe.
Or at least a close simulation.

If they land or are spawned in a waterzone, they will swim regardless of Physics or orientation.

Still have a few adjustments to make before a Demo4, but hopefully it won't be long.

These will probably jump if you have bCanWalk set True and increase the JumpZ variable.
Haven't tested that out yet... This takes too much testing.
blarg
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

UTent_Demo4 - See Attached.

Here is the Readme file:
Spoiler
// UTent_Beta4.Tent - 2015 MrLoathsome

Changes from default UnrealShare.Tentacle:

Its upside down.

Changes to the Death Animation.

Function SmackTarget() fixed. These Tentacles have a default Epic MeleeAttack.
Default Tentacles do not. Variable WhipDamage is never initialized.
The function does get called, but damage amount is 0. (Ask Epic why.)

Modified function PlayRangedAttack so the projectiles work right
with the upside down orientation.*

New for Beta4:

3 new optional textures. Set via TentColor variable. Valid values:

0 = default Tentacle Skin
1 = Improved skin from AlCapowned
2 = LavaTent skin from Acoma
3 = Blue non-boring skin from Acoma
4 = Randomly select one of the above 4 skins

Variable AltTexture

Format AltTexture=Texture'UnrealShare.Skins.JSeaWeed1'
(or whatever texture you want)
Note the texture MUST be present on the current level for that to work.
If AltTexture is set to anything other than None, it will override the
TentColor variable.
(It should revert to the default Tentacle skin if the texture specified is invalid or not found)

Variable StartRoll

Default value of 32768 gets you an upsidedown Tentacle.
Set it to 0 for a Tentacle in normal orientation.
Anywhere inbetween for whatever angle you want.

bCanWalk

These Tentacles will walk if you set this True.

I was hoping to have them sliding around inverted like snails, but
haven't found a way to make that happen so these will walk around on
their tentacles.

They attempt to invert and lie on the floor when in waiting mode.
They will also randomly go into Wandering or Roaming states after
they get disturbed but the enemy is out of view or dead.

bSpiderMode (Experimental)

If both bCanWalk and bSpiderMode are set True, the Tentacles
will use the Spider Physics.

It works well enough I had to include it. (Better than the Blobs I think...)

As of Beta4, they do not always face the right direction when in
SpiderMode. They do however shoot and move in the right direction.
Tentacles with bSpiderMode on will not always invert correctly before
assuming the waiting position.
(These are 2 of the main reasons this is still a Beta...)

Other reason this is still a Beta is that my attempt to use the ReducedDamageType
don't seem to be working.

These are the current default settings.

TentColor=0
AltTexture=None
StartRoll=32768
WhipDamage=20
Health=100
MeleeRange=200.000000
bCanJump=False
bCanWalk=False
bCanSwim=True
bCanFly=False
bSpiderMode=False
PeripheralVision=-1.000000
JumpZ=80.000000
MaxStepHeight=50.000000
GroundSpeed=240.000000
AccelRate=400.000000
Buoyancy=200.000000
MenuName="UTent"
NameArticle=" a freaking "
ReducedDamageType=AllEnvironment
ReducedDamagePct=-1

You should be able to adjust these values, and any other default value you could
adjust for an Unreal Tentacle as you wish.

To test you can use SwarmSpawner, MonsterSpawn or just summon them.
Some example ini files included. (Copy/rename/edit them as needed...)

Summon them with "Summon UTent_Beta4.Tent".
Tested offline with 227. Just basic summon of default upsidedown tentacle. Seemed to work fine.
Tested online with UT after I wrote the above readme file.

In online play, the Tentacles with bCanWalk set true DO slide around upsidedown like snails, although I could not get
them to do that offline. Also online the Tentacles with bSpiderMode set true, vanish soon as they see a player.....

Spidermode looks cool offline....... :noidea I have a headache. :(

*Edit. Don't even try using bSpiderMode online. Not only do the tents with that set drop out of the
world, it seems to break the Physics for other ScriptedPawns and Carcasses.
(Errors regarding Moving with out proper Hashing, stuff dropping out of the world etc.)

Note this is NOT an error caused by my code. Just did some tests using the UnrealI.ParentBlob and Bloblets, and the same
sort of errors show up. PHYS_Spider is borked online. There must be a way to fix it as I know of one coop map that has some
Blobs on it. They don't work exactly right, but this crap doesn't happen with them.

The upside down tentacles work online fine with no major problems, and bCanWalk works very well also. Need a few small adjustments
to make for those options. Just do not use bSpiderMode on a server, and all is fine.

Will look at this some more after I update the FreakingSharks.
The FreakingSharks will NOT be flying upside down.
If I get freaking laser beams attached to their freaking heads, those will NOT be upside down either. :confused2: :barf:
:loool:
Attachments
UTent_Beta4.zip
UTent_Beta4
(566.58 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
blarg
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

MrLoathsome wrote: PHYS_Spider is borked online.
My advice is to completely forget PHYS_Spider. Has only a couple of code fragments, I was forcing Bot to spider and they returned shortly to roaming. Also I was almost to block myself on a wall but things went back after a couple of moves. That stuff is not completed.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Well, don't give up on it completely yet.

Offline, the bSpiderMode works very well with these.
Much better than the Blobs.
I think that the Blobs code is just broken several ways even before the
Physics even comes into play.

I just gotta track down that code in that map I can't remember the name of, and compare it to the default Blob code
to see how they avoided the falling out of the world garbage I am getting with these online.

You are correct, that code is not completed.

Somebody should do something about that. 8)
blarg
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

The phys_spider stuff online is broken in the UTPG patches. I've long complained about it before. I have no idea why they broke it, it actually works on 436.

Also, I'm not sure if you realize but old beta/alpha tentacles were meant to move/roll around. In fact there is this animation move1 or something. One of the move animations is used for underwater but the other one was meant to be used while on ceiling so they would slowly snail around. In practice however they acted like a ceiling turret, rotating slightly etc searching for target using the same anim that was later renamed to move1 or whatever but not actually moving. But that was still to be implemented. But they would move really slow, really really slow.

If you want I can record a video of the old tentacle doing this out of sight of player so you know what I mean.

Also alcapowned's skin is the old alpha tentacle, but the old tentacle mesh had different uv mapping so he adjusted the skin to fit the final tentacle mesh. But it's not an improved skin by him, the artwork is from versions of Unreal dating before December 1997 mostly. Those tentacles used the older mesh.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:The phys_spider stuff online is broken in the UTPG patches. I've long complained about it before. I have no idea why they broke it, it actually works on 436.
I did not know that detail. Been running the 440 patch on my servers for over a decade now, so obviously that is what I have been using to test stuff online.
Maybe bSpiderMode even works online with a 436 server. It should work damnit. They do summon ok with default settings in Unreal/227. Didn't test the bCanWalk or
bSpiderMode options with U1.
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:Also, I'm not sure if you realize but old beta/alpha tentacles were meant to move/roll around. In fact there is this animation move1 or something. One of the move animations is used for underwater but the other one was meant to be used while on ceiling so they would slowly snail around. In practice however they acted like a ceiling turret, rotating slightly etc searching for target using the same anim that was later renamed to move1 or whatever but not actually moving. But that was still to be implemented. But they would move really slow, really really slow.
I did realize all that, soon as I started messing with the code. These are using animation move1, move2 and I think every other animation they can.
They do have different behavior online with walking mode on and spider mode off, but I think I know exactly why. I can work around that if I can't fix it.
They will just work better online. (Yay replication!)

I don't need a video of the old tents. Have you tried the current Beta4 version of these?
*Edit, if you are real bored, I will look at that video.
These move around on the ground if you have them set to do that, and everywhere in spidermode.
Not sure if they snail around if placed on a ceiling in a map with bSpiderMode enabled.
I don't know nothing about no maps so have no way to test that.
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:Also alcapowned's skin is the old alpha tentacle, but the old tentacle mesh had different uv mapping so he adjusted the skin to fit the final tentacle mesh. But it's not an improved skin by him, the artwork is from versions of Unreal dating before December 1997 mostly. Those tentacles used the older mesh.
It works very nicely. If you or anybody else has any other tentacle skins, feel free to post them up here. All I need is the PCX file.
blarg
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

https://vid.me/lpov

I couldn't upload it anywhere else. The tentacle movement thing starts at around 50 seconds to the video.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Leo, what mod are you running? Cuz that doesn't look like standard UT.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

EvilGrins wrote:Leo, what mod are you running? Cuz that doesn't look like standard UT.
Because that's not UT at all and it's not a mod(just a modded version of the map "seti"), that was recorded on Unreal version 0.82/0.83 from October 1996.
That's where that "improved" Tentacle skin originally comes from. Except that alcapowned modified it to fit onto the normal tentacle mesh as it had different uv mapping back then..
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Cool vid.
If you try Beta4 out, let me know if it works with Unreal version 0.82/0.83. :noidea

I have the default ground speed settings for these tents set much higher than in that video, but that can be adjusted as you wish.
blarg
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

MrLoathsome wrote:Cool vid.
If you try Beta4 out, let me know if it works with Unreal version 0.82/0.83. :noidea

I have the default ground speed settings for these tents set much higher than in that video, but that can be adjusted as you wish.
No, that can't work with these versions, but it works with regular Unreal, I tried it on 225.

But can you make one variable/setting on it to make it behave like the ones n 0.83? That would be cool to add.