Never code if your laptop doesn't want you to...

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Never code if your laptop doesn't want you to...

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

This pic says it all -__-"
Ok?
Ok?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Never code if your laptop doesn't want you to...

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

It happened on most of the code :(((((((((((
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

Did you try different encoding like UTF-8? I don't really understand why there are Java paths in UnrealScript files, unless you use a Java editor for this. Could you attach the file so I can open it with (linux's) gEdit or Vim? You can also try to paste (part of) the code on nopaste or http://p.blicky.net and see if the same happens there.

Does it show like that with any other file types (like MS Word documents and videos/pictures)? If other files and filetypes are corrupted too, this might be a defect in your operating system or harddisk. You should at least do a disk integrity check, virus check and all the other necessary things to determine whether your computer is functioning as expected.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Darkelarious wrote:Did you try different encoding like UTF-8? I don't really understand why there are Java paths in UnrealScript files, unless you use a Java editor for this. Could you attach the file so I can open it with (linux's) gEdit or Vim? You can also try to paste (part of) the code on nopaste or http://p.blicky.net and see if the same happens there.

Does it show like that with any other file types (like MS Word documents and videos/pictures)? If other files and filetypes are corrupted too, this might be a defect in your operating system or harddisk. You should at least do a disk integrity check, virus check and all the other necessary things to determine whether your computer is functioning as expected.
It may be an hard disk defect, cause the bios and the operative system always tell me about problems on sectors about hard disk, but I can't do anything cause I'm waiting the new laptop and it arrived a bit "opened" and so I gave it back and I'm waiting it, now it's been a month that I'm waiting it :nonono:

I tried recovering the *.u files, but I always compile code, so the hdd sectors containing the *.u files are always overwritten :/

Thank you anyway :)
Darkelarious
Skilled

Post by Darkelarious »

Ironically, distributing/keeping your source-code with compiled files is what was recommended in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6514&p=76741#p76737
For future reference, I'm keeping a semi-public ftp server for some old mods that I came across (not really up-to-date) where you could consider dropping your mods, sources and files.

ftp://333networks.com with both user/pass "333networks". See also the README file at the ftp.
--Darkelarious
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Darkelarious wrote:Ironically, distributing/keeping your source-code with compiled files is what was recommended in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6514&p=76741#p76737
For future reference, I'm keeping a semi-public ftp server for some old mods that I came across (not really up-to-date) where you could consider dropping your mods, sources and files.

ftp://333networks.com with both user/pass "333networks". See also the README file at the ftp.
I hope you're not saying that I didn't want to share the source code, cause it's like 4 days I'm telling that I want to... and that the question about licensing was just a question :|
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Changing the broken hard disk is no option? Simply reinstall OS and get the data from your Backup then. SCNR :satan:
On my PC the UT folder is neither under backup because it can easily be reinstalled, but I sync my maps and coding developments to a network share which is under regularly backup.

Cheers,
Barbie
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Pro tip: Always use NTFS for all volumes and particularly avoid FAT like the plague.

Also, consider using an off-site version control repository, e.g. on GitHub.
Darkelarious
Skilled

Post by Darkelarious »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:I hope you're not saying that I didn't want to share the source code, cause it's like 4 days I'm telling that I want to... and that the question about licensing was just a question :|
Oh, no, not at all!
I only pointed out the irony that if you were to distribute source-code in general, that the entire internet will become your backup folder. Maybe I should have started with "do you have a backup of your files?".

If it's the harddisk, indeed, then it's bad luck and hope for recovery. On the other hand, I find it strange that the files are so garbled. I would expect them to be corrupted/unopenable, or just missing data. This added data and I don't see how that logically should happen.

I hope it works out!
--Darkelarious
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It could be that this wasn't decompiled correctly. Notpad++ can directly open packaged files in UEngine and the output is often very messy just like this. And yeah the java references shouldn't be in there.

BTW, great idea Dark. So much got lost to time...
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

My laptop compiled some stuff just fine as well. But with the things mentioned above pretty much give the idea, I ran into this before when I was working on newnet lol.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You should be monitoring your drives with a SMART monitor.
SMART is always enabled in drives but the OS does not report SMART errors.
Automatic self-testing is often disabled and sometimes not available.
By the time your BIOS or OS starts to complain, it is often in very bad shape.

See my support page for info and quality free tools.
https://vivaldi.net/userblogs/entry/s-m-a-r-t-tools
There is a link at the bottom for recovery info and free tools.

Depending on why your drive is failing, it can be low-level formatted and used in a different setup.
eg. Some disk errors are caused by your drive being too hot, so if you can change this situation you can low-level format and safely re-use.

Almico Speedfan can show you an advanced SMART diagnostic page for each drive, with easy to understand explanations of the problems seen.
The service it uses compares your drive with the average results from others with the same drives.
It provides a sharable link so you can ask for help and show useful info.
*Here is an example of 1 of my external drives with clearly explained issues.
http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowrepor ... n=F1333B8B
You should use this after a recent SMART test