Some info concerning my server/me

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Some info concerning my server/me

Post by JackGriffin »

First, it's good to see renewed interest in development. I'm glad people are getting involved more.

The down side is that last week I had almost 200 private messages/emails/requests. It's just too much. I love to help people but I'm going to have to do it so it has less impact for me. More on that in a second.

In my coop server I'm running a chat mod that lets you see global chat for all connected servers. I also installed a teamspeak3 server on my personal box at home. This is tied to the coop server and you can communicate back and forth easily and simply just by joining either server. Be warned: the chat is VERY adult so don't join if you get offended. I don't run or maintain some of the servers attached with the global group and I have no say over what they chat. You will see bad words and that's the point of global chat. If it's not your thing then just ignore it.

From here forward I'll still spend as long as it takes to explain or help you but the majority of it is going to get done via voice and on my TS server. I'm spending way too much time typing EVERYTHING out into a PM to explain so much. It's exhausting. If the explanation requires more than a post or two to work on here we will need to use a faster method of communication. I don't mind to use some type chatting in the TS server but if you are insecure about actually talking to another adult then I'm not going to be the guy to help you so much now. Yeah, I know.."But I don't speak English well"...Look, I don't speak it well either a lot of days. I sound like a frog croaking.

Anyway I'll help anyone with anything as I always have but more than a post or two back and forth is going to get us to voice chat. My fucking weight is slowly dropping and my energy level is receding with that so this isn't something I want to do, it's just an accommodation to my situation. Sorry, but well that's that. Cancer sucks and it can make life hard.

The TS3 server is mine as I said and it's available for anyone here to use. Get with me and I'll make you a channel you can control and use as you like. Please if you join the server know that the default channel broadcasts any chat messages out to the entire network so do poke me and let's move to another room to set up whatever you might need. If I'm here I'll answer.

Lastly I found a really nice feature for this board (thanks to Flay). You all know you can add someone to the "Foe" list and not have to see their posts, but there is also the feature to block them from PM'ing you. From the phpbb forums:
PM rules
A less known feature of PMs is that you can add rules. Go to your UCP (user control panel) and click on Rules, folders and settings. Suppose you want to move all messages with the word phpbb in the subject to a folder named phpbb messages. Under the title Add new rule there is a drop down list. Select subject and click next. In the next list, select is like and again click next. Now, in the box, type phpbb, and click next. Now select place in folder -> yourfolder, and click add rule. Now, evertime you receive a message with phpbb in the subject, the message will automatically go to the folder that you created.
I set the members I have as Foes to delete all incoming messages. Now they are never an issue again. So nice.

So anyone feel free to PM me and I'll still help you like I have. Just know that detailed help is going to require you to actually talk to me. If you can't/won't do that then I'm sorry but I have to start limiting the impact mentoring is having on me.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Some info concerning my server/me

Post by papercoffee »

:tu: ...You are a pillar of the community ...a moody one, but still one of the most reliable member I know.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm like that really hot but fucking crazy girlfriend we all used to have. The sex is great but at some point it's just too much and you have to tap out. It leaves you feeling oddly mixed, some good and some bad all mashed up together in this weird ball of emotion. Yeah, I'm complicated but I've really tried to work on it these last few years and be less reflexive. If it helps at all know that I wasn't always like this. True facts about me (some of you already know this): I came to Unreal way back in the beginning as a way to cope with anger issues I had developed from serving during the first Desert Storm. It helped my first marriage fail and I was struggling to develop an outlet for the feelings. I guess that's why I will likely never leave some form of Unreal.

I still have the reflex to lash out when I'm angry but I'm getting better as I get older. Almost dying helped too (sorry to let down a few of you by not finishing that). So I guess you get what you get with me. I'm broken like we all are. Consider me 'eccentric'.

Or fuck off. It doesn't really matter to me. :loool:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:last week I had almost 200 private messages/emails/requests.
Just tell people where you live so they can bother you in person... where you can turn the hose on them.
JackGriffin wrote:I'm like that really hot but fucking crazy girlfriend we all used to have.
...and now the memory of my hot girlfriend has been destroyed...
JackGriffin wrote:The sex is great but at some point it's just too much and you have to tap out.
...and now I can't get images of Jack having sex with me out of my head...
ImageImageImageImage

What is this "tap out" thang you refer to? The sex never stops until everyone passes out from dehydration!
JackGriffin wrote:I still have the reflex to lash out when I'm angry but I'm getting better as I get older.
That's because you can't move as fast.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Good plan Jack.

No point in wearing yourself out trying to do everything for everyone.
It will never end, and as you have noticed, it sometimes difficult to weed out
crap that will just waste your time from the occasional really good idea.

You can't explain how all of it works to everyone, particularly when they have little or no chance
of understanding. Ideas are endless and a dime a dozen. Some fine examples in another recent
thread here. People listing a slew of ideas, some good some not, that would take a good coder
months and months to actually implement. Then they mention that they cant code..... :what:

Like the lady said: "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

You should relax, and focus on your own projects and tweaking your excellent 227 coop server.

Pretty sure I have a better idea than most here about how things are going for you.
(Me and Jack have far too much in common, for those of you who don't know.... :( :barf: )

Seems like a lot of people should stop messing with sending PM's so much, and perhaps
spend some time reading the huge amount of Tutorials and Wiki's etc that are available.
And study examples from the UT source itself. (That's where ALL the answers are anyway. Mostly.)

Figure out how the stuff works people. Then maybe you can write stuff on your own that Jack might
actually be able to use on his server for fun without writing or re-writing all the code himself.

Jack. Relax. Have fun. That's what I am attempting to do myself.

*Edit: Just had a great idea.
Need a way so that bots I have configured on my client machine can join online games
running on other peoples servers with me.
Spend a few minutes and crank that out for me.

Then you can relax. :loool: :noidea :sleep: :ironic2: :lol2: :omfg: :pfff:
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

MrLoathsome wrote: Need a way so that bots I have configured on my client machine can join online games
running on other peoples servers with me.
Spend a few minutes and crank that out for me.

Then you can relax. :loool: :noidea :sleep: :ironic2: :lol2: :omfg: :pfff:
Already done that. You can bring a server to it's knees in moments with that so I never released it. Dane and I were working on some...stuff.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

You know I was kidding ? :shock: :???: :what:
blarg
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Lol that was good Mrloathsome!

Sorry, I tried not to post in rival's thread. :noidea :ironic2: :???: :omfg:
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

MrLoathsome wrote:You know I was kidding ?
Of course. I know what you were joking about, I just put a twist on what 'bot' meant. That reminds me, I need to see if anyone remembers UTeleVision...NVM, found it. Damn I can't believe it's still out there to be found.