It Was Once Upon A Time - tiny story and riddle

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
Higor
Godlike

Re: It Was Once Upon A Time - tiny story and riddle

Post by Higor »

We're missing a generic section for anything that isn't a mod/gametype that's aimed at improving the game, that includes even the simplest stuff.
Try finding patched IpServer.u, IpDrv.dll, renderers over this site. Or even a discussion space about those.

Secondly, XC_Engine isn't the only thing that'll need a place...
This is going to be a huge and long project taking place during the following year.
This is basically what Feralidragon gave up on, I'll be wasting time of it anyways because it's a 2016 in-development API and very few understand this, this is going to be a perfect learning experience (and curriculum expander).
Project at 1% lol, so far it only loads the API library and creates a very simple rendering pipeline.

Code: Select all

/** Low level rendering system.
Most of the CPU heavy stuff will go to the XC_RenderDevice anyways, TODO:
- Implement redirections to XC_RenderDevice
- Rewrite mesh data decompression/presentation/storage
- Move occlusion checks to XC_RenderDevice (GPU based occlusion? Vulkan can do calculations too...)
- Turn the entire BSP geometry into static meshes?
*/
class XC_RENDER_API UXC_Render : public URenderBase
{
	DECLARE_CLASS(UXC_Render,URenderBase,CLASS_Transient|CLASS_Config,XC_Render)
	NO_DEFAULT_CONSTRUCTOR(UXC_Render);

// Variables.

// A low-level 3D rendering device.
class XC_RENDER_API UXC_RenderDevice : public URenderDevice
{
	DECLARE_ABSTRACT_CLASS(UXC_RenderDevice, URenderDevice, CLASS_Config, XC_Render)
	NO_DEFAULT_CONSTRUCTOR(UXC_RenderDevice);

// Constructors.
	void StaticConstructor();

// UXC_RenderDevice derivations from UXC_Render
	virtual void PreRender(FSceneNode* Frame) = 0;
	virtual void DrawWorld(FSceneNode* Frame) = 0;
	virtual void PostRender(FSceneNode* Frame) = 0;

//Vulkan renderer, statically linked
// NEED SHADERS EMBEDDED INTO THE DLL!!!
class UVulkanRenderDevice : public UXC_RenderDevice
{
	DECLARE_CLASS(UVulkanRenderDevice, UXC_RenderDevice, CLASS_Config, XC_Render)
	NO_DEFAULT_CONSTRUCTOR(UVulkanRenderDevice)

VkDrvCpp Vulkan; //Huge structure of Vulkan Data
	UBOOL CanRender;
	UBOOL UseVSync;

// UXC_RenderDevice derivations from UXC_Render
	virtual void PreRender(FSceneNode* Frame);
	virtual void DrawWorld(FSceneNode* Frame);
	virtual void PostRender(FSceneNode* Frame);

virtual UBOOL Init(UViewport* InViewport, INT NewX, INT NewY, INT NewColorBytes, UBOOL Fullscreen);
	virtual UBOOL SetRes(INT NewX, INT NewY, INT NewColorBytes, UBOOL Fullscreen);
	virtual void Exit();
};

#define XC_VK_CHECK(n,f,e) guard(n); if ( Res=f) appErrorf(NAME_Init,TEXT(e ##": %s"), appFromAnsi(Vulkan.TranslateVkError(Res)) ); unguard;

UBOOL UVulkanRenderDevice::Init(UViewport* InViewport, INT NewX, INT NewY, INT NewColorBytes, UBOOL Fullscreen)
{
	guard(UVulkanRenderDevice::Init);

debugf( NAME_Init, TEXT("[VK] Init | %ix%i@%i f=%i"), NewX, NewY, NewColorBytes, Fullscreen);
	VkResult Res = VK_SUCCESS;

Viewport = InViewport;
	VK_UE_Log = _VK_UE_Log;
	Vulkan.LoadAPI();
	XC_VK_CHECK(CreateInstance, Vulkan.CreateInstance(true),"Failed to create instance")
	Vulkan.LoadInstanceLevelEntryPoints();
	XC_VK_CHECK(CreateDebugCallback, Vulkan.CreateDebugCallback(dbgFunc),"Failed to create debug callback")
	XC_VK_CHECK(SelectGPU, Vulkan.SelectGPU(),"Failed to select GPU")
	XC_VK_CHECK(CreateDevice, Vulkan.CreateDevice(), "Failed to create logical device")
	Vulkan.LoadDeviceLevelEntryPoints();
	XC_VK_CHECK(CreateSurface, Vulkan.CreateSurface((HWND)InViewport->GetWindow()),"Failed to create presentation surface")
	XC_VK_CHECK(CreateSwapchain, Vulkan.CreateSwapChain( (uint32_t*)&NewX, (uint32_t*)&NewY, UseVSync!=0),"Failed to create swapchain")
	Vulkan.SetupDevice();
	Vulkan.SetupRenderer();
	Vulkan.RecordCommandBuffers();

debugf( NAME_Init, TEXT("Vulkan library succesfully loaded") );
	return 1;

unguard;
}
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Carbon wrote:IMO; they can't stop new people joining (why would they want to?) and can't control member's behavior completely (especially before a member does something!)
Probably False.
By keeping forum clean and readable, community will get a bit of help else roaming through spam is not constructive either and is pretty annoying.
Filtering the Sign Up?
Yes, by scripting some questions about UT nearby some captcha images exactly in first stage and requiring valid answers from game. In this way turds won't roam spreading non-senses with no purpose but those playing the game and needing help would be properly accepted.

Samples:
- What is the name of first Bot entered in DM-Tutorial ? Incorrect answer ? Go to spam other forums because you don't play UT so your place is not here, try to join like an ass 3 times and... good bye, automated ban - that simple, gaming questions are relevant for a gaming forum and not questions which have already a lot of answers on Internet.
- How many skin colors can be selected in UT ? Don't know these ? Your presence here is pointless Mr. UFO. Go and write any essay about weight of garbage from Internet.

You see ? I'm not sarcastic as much as I'm very confused generally in how are people understanding a forum around a subject - forum is not a chat for writing crap which stays years. Else new comers seems to not read rules and if they break rules nobody kicks their butt. I would simply suspend them for 1 week and linking them to damn RULES.

Excuse me, but I think some people having the skill for helping are staying away just because the place gets dirty and more heavy readable.
Riddle > How much takes until majority of good coders will not care about this location ?
My answer > Not a lot by following this way...
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Filters are just a small hurdle and besides, I personally don't see the big problem. It's not like the forums are flooded with spam - unless we have a different idea of what spam is - and most people keep the posts in the right place or the mods move the post. I certainly don't think it's at the point where we are going to lose members.

Nice post though mate! Very clear. :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote:Filtering the Sign Up?
Yes, by scripting some questions about UT nearby some captcha images exactly in first stage and requiring valid answers from game. In this way turds won't roam spreading non-senses with no purpose but those playing the game and needing help would be properly accepted.
Just to note that there IS a question about the game at the registration stage - to answer the question does require someone to have played the game and have some knowledge of the capabilities of the default UT weapons. Have a look at it and see what you think.

On the broader issue, it is important to recognise that the forum is aimed at the UT Community as a whole and so, quite reasonably, should and does cater for the diverse interests of that community. The knowledge, interests, experience, perception and capability of members varies and that is reflected in the wide range of topics and in the content of posts. Where those posts contain incorrect or misleading information (which can be termed spam) that it is generally made clear in replies and so the forum's role as a repository of valuable and valid knowledge on the game is maintained. For this site to continue to be a healthy and vibrant forum there should be no barrier to entry nor a concentration on one particular topic area to the exclusion of others.

I can understand the frustration and annoyance with the posting of unfinished or 'broken' content or of simple, basic questions the answers to which can be researched elsewhere but that, I think, is the price to be paid to ensure the longevity of this forum. On a personal level, if one finds topics or posts annoying or uninteresting these can be ignored and not read.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Strange however, that one posting sudden VPN interest did not left any impression about some addiction to UT, the rest of "turtuals" required looks mainly dumb (my 2 cents) - I read those topics 2 or 3 times because I couldn't believe that after years of UT we need a tutorial in how to play the game :loool: . Aside not even when I was in my noob times (a few hours of UT) I never asked such things, I was playing Doom, Shadow Warrior, etc. the most of shooters have the same goal: defeat opponents - what any scientific explanation is required here ? Anyone which was living on Earth I think knows this concept. Even in poor countries some dudes are playing shooters, we are in 2016 after all.
Randomly I read topics with ideas (yeah those with only ideas with no final) some people wants popularity about whatever re-invented warm water. This chapter is veeery simple: if you think at something just be original and DO IT, else I have ideas a lot but.. IF I'm unable to do them or UnrealEngine doesn't support them, I simply stay quiet, else search button will return a lot of nothings when someone is searching for whatever needed toy. Being decent and speaking about any subject and posting valid things is more productive than mooing posts with no purpose.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

So where is this going sektor? You can't stop people from posting nor joining....you know both of these facts, so what exactly are you looking for? The quality of posts is quite subjective; not everyone agrees on what is or isn't 'worth posting'. If the board were restricted to only 'productive' posts, it would be pretty quiet. I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to figure out what you're trying to enact.

This place isn't only for veteran players and I think it's important for the site to be as welcoming and useful to all players, from novice to seasoned. UT99.org has become the premiere place to come regarding the game which means a wide audience of all skill levels and needs and they all need representation.

It's a community with all types and all interests and I think this board reflects those ideas well. :agree1:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Carbon wrote:So where is this going sektor?
Going to delete some of those craps with 0 replies. It's simple, if a post is just posted with no reply in 3 months toward a lousy development, this means nobody give a fart on it especially those threads which are not tutorials. I re-ignited this thread because of some stupid requests which nobody ever needed them in 14 years and necro-bumping, not even those from poor countries. They make forum to looks stupid, even defaming quality of UT99.org - Of course these are my opinions... you don't have to get them very serious - get them as "my ideas".
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Every single forum on earth has threads with 0 replies, threads that go nowhere and questions by newcomers.
You essentially want new people to stay out and only keep the hardcore grognards who've seen it all.
Because obviously that's what will revive UT99 and UT99.org: less new people and less threads.
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A bit wrong
Hellkeeper wrote:the hardcore grognards
did not see all yet (see Higor's stuff), the rest of New comers like the guy entered for 3072 mapping contest are a bless and very good members for community and for me they are welcomed to bring even some friends; as for what I'm trying to say I can point some links right from this location from those which leads to nowhere and helping NONE - mushrooms, null actors, tag games never started by nobody, useless mutators smashing players, etc... I can even offer a warranty that nobody will miss them next 2 years, and forum won't be reduced at 10 posts if this is main threat, but might contribute a bit at a better readability - that's the point.

This is just the stuff posted in this thread like other useless things which never bugged anybody, so I don't see why what I'm saying here is that nasty - because is not.
Until XCGE will get final format I can share what I think because I'm not keeping my thoughts as secrets. Even I will kick my own butt if it's needed, no worries.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Any story in order to be loved by kids, it should have pictures. All right, I found 2 pictures good to see:
[attachment=1]1.PNG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]2.PNG[/attachment]
Eh... :mrgreen: .
Attachments
2.PNG
1.PNG
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You know you can report a post?
Hit the little triangle with the exclamation mark and report it. Then the Post and thread get highlighted for the mods.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Hmm, I cannot see what's wrong with those two posts. :omfg:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It was nothing wrong... except a duplicated account (btw) and posting twice the same problem: "Awesome AtaaX". No worries, I have contacted admin and he removed one of accounts and the thread with the same subject.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Barbie wrote:Hmm, I cannot see what's wrong with those two posts.
Its taken out of context; A broken forum rule rather than a mentioned topic issue.