Site first page broken in mobile (first time)

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Site first page broken in mobile (first time)

Post by nogardilaref »

Just reporting a problem which has been going on for a while, and might (or not) be steering away new users from ever reaching the forum.

If you are in mobile (namely Android), the very first time you try to access the forum, you get pretty much a blank page in the page which I think is supposed to promote Tapatalk or something:
https:// ut99.org /mobiquo/smartbanner/ads.php?....

This is reproducible anywhere, as long as the site detects you as being in a mobile device, regardless if you're really using a mobile device, or using a desktop with a different user-agent.
In order to enter ut99.org, you have to type again the site URL (which is when an entry at the local storage is saved). But I would say that I might have realized this since I know how these things work, but 98% of the other potential users will just think that the site is broken and probably go away to never be seen again.

To reproduce it, besides the user-agent or the usage of a mobile device, you need to clean the local storage for this site at least, namely the "hide_until" entry, which in case you're using Chrome, you can delete by:
Right Click > Inspect > Application > Storage > Local Storage > https://ut99.org > hide_until (key)

So I would suggest to simply remove that page permanently, even because although the site is not built for mobile, it actually works well in all the devices I have at least, and will probably work even better in many tablets as well these days, and there's the Tapatalk "popup" already when you actually manage to enter the first time (which you have to close in the big X there), which makes the first page redundant anyway, even perhaps suspiciously annoying (since it gives off the vibe of being one of those tacky scam sites with ads on them and whatnot).
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Re: Site first page broken in mobile (first time)

Post by Shade »

Thank you for your feedback! I was going to remove Tapatalk completely. From next week on I will have my PC with all programs / setups again (after 5 months...) to get things done.
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Yup, Tapatalk isn't working for me and I use the default URL to navigate the forum which works very well.
I thought it was only me because I have an old iPod-touch with only iOS6 and the old safari.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I hate to be that guy, but this doesn't seem to have been fixed yet... :noidea
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I just quit using mobile here because of it. Let me know if it ever gets addressed.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Shade wrote:Thank you for your feedback! I was going to remove Tapatalk completely. From next week on I will have my PC with all programs / setups again (after 5 months...) to get things done.
Any news?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Mozilla in a mobile device here, tested a few seconds ago, I did not see any issue except getting mad at small stupid screen with small letters and small buttons, and...