pics or it didn't happen - suggestion for a new House Rule

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

pics or it didn't happen - suggestion for a new House Rule

Post by papercoffee »

So, because I'm so fed up with projects that doesn't have pictures posted...

You all want to advertise your projects and want people to test it and play it... OK ...BUT THEN, ADD SOME FNUCKING PICTURES!
You would never buy something without seeing what it looks like ...It doesn't work on Ebay or Amazon and also it won't work on a Forum!!!
We have an attachment system which allows to upload up to 5 pictures to every thread. If you don't have a picture host THEN USE THIS!

*breth*

I would suggest a new rule:
Projects have to contain at least one picture showing a teaser of the content someone is suppose to download.

Edit--------------------------
Nog suggested:
Any project that has a visual component should be presented visually with either screenshots or video.
Any project which does not (mod/mutator/code in general), should instead have either a video or a full well formatted description of what it's supposed to do.

I like this.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: pics or it didn't happen - suggestion for a new House Ru

Post by Terraniux »

As I certainly vote for this new rule, the word project is ' too big' in this p.o.v.

A coders project doesn't have pictures barely, yet is code is the picture itself
A mapping project is a direct visual thing, i can apply the rule here.
A mod project is the same thing as coding I think, first the code, then the graphic.

etc...
etc...

So yes, I think this rule would be good, but you need be very specific on what you and others consider a project.

Also does this COUNT for freshly new topics, or DONE TOPICS ( finished products ) OR '' IN MAKING OF / in progress ' TOPICS ???
This member can only post when permitted.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

^ Yeah, indeed, different kinds of projects offer different kinds of media to be shown.
Regardless of the type of project, a video is a sure way to cover all presentation requirements, but it generally takes too long to do compared with other forms of media.

So, yeah, any project that has a visual component should be presented visually with either screenshots or video.
Any project which does not (mod/mutator/code in general), should instead have either a video or a full well formatted description of what it's supposed to do.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I like your suggestion Nog.

And yes my rule suggestion was much to vague and would only lead to more arguing.
:wth:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Could agree. Posting Downloadable contents;

Maps - Could be visual or some detailed contents.
Script/Code - Could have a very little explanation because sometimes the code explains itself as it is already there unless it's huge. Otherwise, include a TL;DR of what it does to make it simple.
Texture content - Display the group of textures or some.
Music/Audio (UMX/UAX) - Do we have some kind of audio player?
Mutator - Depends on what's in it so best to describe [Some mutator are only built for code, or it would include some media, so it depends]. If it can include simple preview, that will be great.
Gametype - Explain and give visual if possible?

Other things such as exported/importable formats like a brush (.t3d, .thf), etc. A screenshot could be good for those too.
Other content, please provide the sample with ideas above.

If anyone wants to post more details for their contents, they are free to do so and more helpful.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote:And yes my rule suggestion was much to vague and would only lead to more arguing.
Just to echo what Terraniux said about the definition of PROJECT. EG recently posted something about the Celd Monster Pack (basically a list of its contents/summons and a download link) and several people asked for screenshots of the monsters. This Pack is a completed project and not one made by the OP. So are we to take it that all posts relating to downloadable content, not necessarily made by the poster, are to contain detailed information and/or screenshots/videos of the contents? In future then, should I respond to a request like Alternate .u for Scorchers, I would need to include screenshots of the two monsters in the package I uploaded?

I do, of course, agree entirely with the general thrust of the proposed new rule.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote:should I respond to a request like Alternate .u for Scorchers, I would need to include screenshots of the two monsters in the package I uploaded?
In your case is a screenshot already posted at the start of the thread.
But if you would find some content which is altered in colour and texture then yes it would be nice to add some shots.

We could add this as a good manner thing, to provide at least some screenshots from the page where you found the content.
Or link to the page with pictures.
Especially monsters and textures are a very visual thing ...I don't want to download stuff I have to check out after a download and decide if I like this stuff.
Most people don't delete the entire mod or monster pack if they are not satisfied, and keep garbage in their install ...and afterwards they come crying why their system is crashing.

Yes it would be considered good manners of you, if you can at least show something additional to your found content.
A simple screenshot out of the Editor would be more then enough.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: .. Yes it would be considered good manners of you, if you can at least show something additional to your found content. A simple screenshot out of the Editor would be more then enough.
Agree wholeheartedly - it would, indeed, be good manners.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I disagree to make it a "rule". What would be the punishment? Removing that post? If someone is not interested in downloading a project he should just ignore it.
On the other side if a creator wants to spread out his work to the world it is in his own interest to make it as tasty as possible. If he just writes "here my new super duper project - download it!" it is his own failure.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Barbie wrote:I disagree to make it a "rule". What would be the punishment? Removing that post? If someone is not interested in downloading a project he should just ignore it.
On the other side if a creator wants to spread out his work to the world it is in his own interest to make it as tasty as possible. If he just writes "here my new super duper project - download it!" it is his own failure.
Been thinking about this too. I know I said yes, but I am 'no' too. It is going to be a political correct, and frowning up on system.
Looking down the glass.

I think the UT99 forum first needs a stable balance, no fights, no arguing and friendly sportsmanship.

New rules will shuffle this small community like boat on stormy waters.

Wait a few weeks before evening trying to make such new rules, paper or any other.
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Terraniux wrote: I think the UT99 forum first needs a stable balance, no fights, no arguing and friendly sportsmanship.
We have that rule already. It's rule number 1
1. Be kind to each other, because this is a support and community forum and no flame-forum. Insulting statements are unwanted in any case. Asssure that discussions are always led objective and do not end in a personal battle. Resolve issues outside the board or consult a moderator.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Barbie wrote:What would be the punishment? Removing that post?
Yeah, exactly that. The signal to noise ratio needs to stay where it's productive. This forum is the de facto google result for a majority of UT related searches if you filter "-ut4". It's a good idea to make those searches instantly fruitful for those doing the searching. There's already several repositories like UT-Files that host searchable downloads so if something rises to the importance of needing a new post here there ought to be enough information to make it an easy decision. Asking for either a simple screenshot or small description is not at all asking too much. If someone posts something like
Here's a new monster I found:
<Download>
then staff *should* remove that until a better descriptor is used.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote:What would be the punishment?
The guillotine!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I'll disagree for requiring this:
I don't want a full page flooded with stuff that made it required to do so. Anything simple that can be easily described in a TL;DR format will be easier, IMO.
Otherwise, anything I'd like to post that required this... I'll decide not to post it here because I wouldn't be able to explain every single thing. Bugs are bound to be found and reported too, so it's in a grey area of finding unexpected things.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Chamberly wrote:I'll disagree for requiring this:
I don't want a full page flooded with stuff that made it required to do so. Anything simple that can be easily described in a TL;DR format will be easier, IMO.
Otherwise, anything I'd like to post that required this... I'll decide not to post it here because I wouldn't be able to explain every single thing. Bugs are bound to be found and reported too, so it's in a grey area of finding unexpected things.
Cham, this is a *forum*. It's designed precisely for what you just said you don't want to use it for: proper discussion of things concerning UT.

The millennial logic-twisting being used in this thread should just stop. This forum exists for the very reason paper has suggested this rule: the easiest sharing of ideas and materials. I'm surprised this is even a point of contention given that every person here has posted things before. It's only been a handful of times that this proposed rule hasn't been followed anyway, even before it was suggested. Is this more about "This is the logical choice" or "I don't want to be told what to do"?
So long, and thanks for all the fish