Edit last post not count as update thread

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
Buggie
Godlike

Edit last post not count as update thread

Post by Buggie »

If you edit last post it time is changed but not all DB fields actually update so it is not reflected by thread order.

For example, I edit last post in "Unreal Tournament 469" and it is reflect by changed time on main page. But it is do not move thread to top.

it is look strange, because above listed posts with smaller last post date.
scr_1594377635.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Edit last post not count as update thread

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:41 am If you edit last post it time is changed but not all DB fields actually update so it is not reflected by thread order.

For example, I edit last post in "Unreal Tournament 469" and it is reflect by changed time on main page. But it is do not move thread to top.

it is look strange, because above listed posts with smaller last post date.
Yes, that's very true - I have noticed that before - it does mean that one can miss an important update edit and so it would be very useful if threads were listed in order of latest post and latest edit.
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

This is working as intended. A thread should not move to the top just because someone fixed a typo. Also, this prevents people from bumping threads just by editing the last post, which otherwise can get unnoticed by the mods since edited posts don't appear in the new post overview.
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

There is always the "edit" trick.
Edit your text > copy all > delete your last post > post your copied edit as a new post.
Only attachments will not get copied ...your have to reupload them again... but that would be not so nice because you would spam our database every time with your upload. ;)

Otherwise ...like Shade said already, it works as intended.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:39 pm There is always the "edit" trick.
it is all work until between your "delete old" and "post new" someone not post new post. In this case chronological order can be ruined and topic can be hard to read.

Also it is break all permanent link to old post.

Spam notification to all subscribed and so on. in general better avoid this "trick".

What about issue - in general on most forums exists feature merge post from same poster with some separator like '------ [ Added N minutes after ] --------'.

But if admins think this is no problem - then no problem.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I could've told you that, an edit doesn't pop up as a fresh post because the post you edited still has the same date on it as before you updated it.

That's why it's best to either wait until someone else responds, or to the next day.

Although, if the post you wanna edit has nothing after it, like a reply, sometimes to get around that I edit, copy all that was in that post, delete that post entirely, paste what was in it to a new post in the same thread, and then add whatever I wanted to edit into it. Thus it does show up as a new post with a fresher date.

Don't usually have to do that very often, though. Usually someone replies before I'm so compelled.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:03 pm Although, if the post you wanna edit has nothing after it, like a reply, sometimes to get around that I edit, copy all that was in that post, delete that post entirely, paste what was in it to a new post in the same thread, and then add whatever I wanted to edit into it. Thus it does show up as a new post with a fresher date.
viewtopic.php?p=121053#p121053 :P
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 pm:P
I didn't have any coffee this morning.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758