Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
Buggie
Masterful
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 am

Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Buggie » Sat May 08, 2021 3:33 pm

8. Avoid unnecessary, as well as double and triple postings in the same thread. Double posting is only allowed after 24 hours after the last post, or in extensive tutorials which need such posting space.
This rule can be easily fixed on forum side.
Something like https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... tsmerging/ (not tested)

So i can just post and post do not worried about this rule. Let's work machine where it can possible.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9935
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by papercoffee » Fri May 14, 2021 3:10 pm

I totally overlooked this post. Thanks for the suggestion, we will look into it.

Buggie
Masterful
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 am

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Buggie » Fri May 14, 2021 3:33 pm

For prevent such things in future you can subscribe to this one forum by link in footer on forum page:
viewforum.php?uid=7779&f=2&watch=forum&start=0
scr_1621002614.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9935
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by papercoffee » Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 pm

I know... :mrgreen:

User avatar
Shade
Site Admin
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:03 pm
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org
Location: Germany

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Shade » Tue May 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Buggie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:33 pm
8. Avoid unnecessary, as well as double and triple postings in the same thread. Double posting is only allowed after 24 hours after the last post, or in extensive tutorials which need such posting space.
This rule can be easily fixed on forum side.
Something like https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... tsmerging/ (not tested)

So i can just post and post do not worried about this rule. Let's work machine where it can possible.
Maybe I get something wrong here. But this mod would add an option for the user to merge his last post with his previous one, if there no other post from another author is between.
Now my question is... if the user is aware if it and want to merge the post, why doesn't he edit his last post in the first place to avoid double posting?

Buggie
Masterful
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 am

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Buggie » Tue May 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Maybe because it is handful?
Write new post and not worry about double posting.
Maybe because on active thread where write few people in one time this prevent lost messages? Most people not except post change after they start answer to it.

This mod merger post even if user not know about this rule. You not need learn newcomers.

--- EDIT ---

Let's go from the other side.
Why you not want install this mod?
What harm it is create?

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9935
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by papercoffee » Wed May 26, 2021 1:31 am

Shade wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:23 pm
Buggie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:33 pm
8. Avoid unnecessary, as well as double and triple postings in the same thread. Double posting is only allowed after 24 hours after the last post, or in extensive tutorials which need such posting space.
This rule can be easily fixed on forum side.
Something like https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... tsmerging/ (not tested)

So i can just post and post do not worried about this rule. Let's work machine where it can possible.
Maybe I get something wrong here. But this mod would add an option for the user to merge his last post with his previous one, if there no other post from another author is between.
Now my question is... if the user is aware if it and want to merge the post, why doesn't he edit his last post in the first place to avoid double posting?
So this mod would not automatically merge the posts?

EDIT----------------
As I understand it from the discussions posts would be automatically merged in a set time limit.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... 5ab4aa44df

Buggie
Masterful
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 am

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Buggie » Wed May 26, 2021 9:15 am

It merge as I know. But user can uncheck merge box on form send for prevent merge.
Possible this settings can be tune.

User avatar
Shade
Site Admin
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:03 pm
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org
Location: Germany

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Shade » Wed May 26, 2021 4:42 pm

I'll look into it.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 8079
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by EvilGrins » Wed May 26, 2021 7:03 pm

That's what we have admins for.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758

User avatar
esnesi
Inhuman
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by esnesi » Wed May 26, 2021 7:59 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:03 pm
That's what we have admins for.
If certain issues can be automated, which occur quite a lot, then why not ?
Win-win for everyone.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9935
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by papercoffee » Thu May 27, 2021 2:02 am

I would really like to be more active on the forum with content and not so much with "please avoid double posts within a 24 hours limit, when no other... bla bla bla"
I like that we keep the forum as tidy as possible, but if there is a possibility to ease it up for us staff ...I (and I think the others as well) would embrace that opportunity.

Buggie
Masterful
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 am

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Buggie » Fri May 28, 2021 1:12 pm

search.php?keywords=please+avoid+double
At least 150 posts about that.

User avatar
Metalfist
Masterful
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:54 pm
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Metalfist » Sun May 30, 2021 2:30 am

If certain issues can be automated, which occur quite a lot, then why not ?
It is handy, but there are downsides. More mods and plugins can create more instabilities and issues when trying to update the forum software for example.
Image

Buggie
Masterful
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 am

Re: Need add forum plugin which merge posts

Post by Buggie » Sun May 30, 2021 3:18 am

Forum existence in theory can be headache. So now we need delete it?

Please, not use such things as excuse. Solve problem in order of appearance. Possible your "problem" never appear at all. So you afraid unexisted problem.

If module in phpbb cause problem you simple shutdown this module.