revive UT99.org a little bit.

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

revive UT99.org a little bit.

Post by Wises »

just a thought here and very easy to do ,

see up the top in the header section of this website (forums) it says ;

UT99.org - Unreal Tournament Community

Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum! – Modifications – Mutators – Skins – Mapping – Coding & Scripting

well this part here ^ I think could be better represented with icons / images / buttons.

so like a Tweak Graphics Icon , Modifications Icon , Mutators Icon , New's Icon , blah Icon etc

Image Image etc

then you could go back into the Archive and pull out some very popular threads and chuck the icons up there in the header.

just a thought.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: revive UT99.org a little bit.

Post by Dr.Flay »

I see where you are going, but personally I ditch icons in favour of words every time.
Icons help cross language barriers, but can have multiple possibilities.
Icons with words I am happy with, but tend to take more space so I usually switch them off.

perhaps some css themes hosted in a browser plugin, would give people a way to tailor the site more.
I use Stylish in Firefox to load dark themes for many of the sites I use.
Anyone can then add their own to userstyles.org they even have css for the about: page and new tabs
https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?se ... t%3Anewtab
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

hmm.. something like cpanel I think be good.. (icons & text) be ok.
seeming as those links at the top have been there for ever it seems. and basically just waste realestate IMO.
adding some CSS to the website would be easy as pie. and if you're good you can also alter the Hover/Active states and do some button effects. ;)

just implying a small upgrade .. nothing major ofc.
or we'd never hear the end of it lawls.

happy to help / zap something up if powers to be are interested.
I'll do something up and upload it here if I find the time. which should better depict the vision

for something extravagant though I'd be looking at some kinda Responsive theme ie; http://www.idesignmaz.com/2014/01/best- ... hemes.html

which in short displays well on tablets , mobile devices etc.

simple enough to do.. by backing up the website to another location / DB then changing the theme .. on restored install.

but yeh .. is Only something to help keep this place alive.

;)
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Post by Phorce »

Big pictures and icons would be good. Also for any casual web surfers (do we "surf the web" these days ? :loool: ) its not very obvious what the site actually *IS*. There's not "what is this" or "who are we" link. I know this stuff is obvious to anyone who has played the game, and it's a forum not a website but, well, that's my suggestion
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks