New donate button

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
UT99.org

New donate button

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:As people can see there is a new Donate button. UT99.org does not use ads to pay for hosting revenue and relies on support of the community.

By the way guys, any chance of taking BitCoin one day?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: New donate button

Post by papercoffee »

I think we have now also advertising for guests ...but I'm not sure. The last time I wasn't logged in was last month.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I can guess the costs of the domain and hosting. It's an online service which makes it easier than ever to have BitCoin accepted
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Post by rizbef »

By new donate button...

Do you mean the gold one in the upper right corner? Or the amazon ad, on the left side of the homepage, to buy UT2003 German version?
I am curious to know how buying something from amazon supports the site. (actually seriously interested to know how it works, not being sarcastic)

edit*
Apparently it rotates through a series of UT amazon ads.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

rizbef wrote:By new donate button...

Do you mean the gold one in the upper right corner? Or the amazon ad, on the left side of the homepage, to buy UT2003 German version?
I am curious to know how buying something from amazon supports the site. (actually seriously interested to know how it works, not being sarcastic)

edit*
Amazon partnerships is an old stuff. If someone clicks the ad and buys the stuff, the site where the ad was placed gets a share. At least that's how it was years ago, I don't know if this have changed since then. I didn't even see the ad, I have taken extensive anti-ad measures to see none of them.
You must construct additional pylons.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I like to browse these forums without loggin in ..... very annoying now with the adds attached inbetween the posts.

The donate button is fine IMO, the amazon add is still just an add - it may be producing a profit for this site, but it's still non-related to the site ut99.org.

The adds attached inbetween the posts are plain lame. Shade, why don't you post a news post informing us what the purpose of these adds are? I mean - I run a lot of websites, it shouldn't be that expensive that it can't be handled by a donate option only? I'm sure some will help you out - I won't if the adds are staying.
Retired.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Oh good, I wasn't the only 1 to notice that.
billybill wrote:UT99.org does not use ads
This isn't an ad?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Post by 'Zac »

Not sure if I can say this, but I use AdBlocker with Chrome, sorry if it does effect money income to the website though ( this happens with twitch users that have adblock, the streamers get no income from the user)
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

TheDane wrote:I like to browse these forums without loggin in ..... very annoying now with the adds attached inbetween the posts.

The donate button is fine IMO, the amazon add is still just an add - it may be producing a profit for this site, but it's still non-related to the site ut99.org.

The adds attached inbetween the posts are plain lame. Shade, why don't you post a news post informing us what the purpose of these adds are? I mean - I run a lot of websites, it shouldn't be that expensive that it can't be handled by a donate option only? I'm sure some will help you out - I won't if the adds are staying.
Agreed about the in-between posts adds... Those are a bit too much :(
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Post by rizbef »

Hellkeeper wrote:
rizbef wrote:By new donate button...

edit*
Amazon partnerships is an old stuff. If someone clicks the ad and buys the stuff, the site where the ad was placed gets a share. At least that's how it was years ago, I don't know if this have changed since then. I didn't even see the ad, I have taken extensive anti-ad measures to see none of them.
Ohhh okay! Thanks for explaining.

I've just never seen it before, so I thought it was the new button.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I noticed the Unreal series advertisement and the donate button recently and thought they are new as added in.

If anything happen to this site, how can we have a backup copy of the whole site? Would be great to keep it up alive other than watching a whole database of help and answering, and other things, go away...

How about a free forum?

Shade... check your email too? ;)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I just saw an inbetween post ad that read "Click if you'd like to look up your arrest record" more or less.

When ads were placed in this forum, were you allowed to choose topics for them or was it completely random?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Man, I'm gone for a few days and look what happens....

Ads will kill this place, especially embedded into the threads. Chamberly kind of alluded to it but I'll say it: Is this the beginning of the end for the place? Look, we all know how it goes. You monetize via ads to recoup some money, the members dislike the changes and stay away, and the site goes dim then eventually dark.

This was not a great idea. Donate buttons are fine, even a funding drive would have brought some cash flow in, but ads will just not be tolerated.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

Thanks for your feedback!

Amazon ad is removed.
I will look for a more decent solution for the other ads today. Beside this, ads will definetly stay for guests only.

If you guys really don`t want any ads on the site at all, no matter which location and format, I will accept this and remove all ads. But the donate button stays. If you have other ideas for financially supporting this project a bit, you are welcome. UT99.org has been existing for over 6 years and all the years I`ve paid for it.
Now, I am going to be a student again with many expenses but (yet) no income (studying organic agriculture in a month :mrgreen:), so I think I should at least give you a chance to donate for the project. Isn`t crowdfunding so trendy these days? :roll:
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Crowdfunding could be a nice posibility to get mony.
But you have to "reward" the packer somehow.