the EEEEEEEEEvils of making double-posts

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

the EEEEEEEEEvils of making double-posts

Post by EvilGrins »

Life is filled with little moments.

It's important to cherish and hang onto such moments, for we never know when they will induce us all too giggle.

I'd like to share such a moment · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/83978.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: the EEEEEEEEEvils of making double-posts

Post by Red_Fist »

I still don't get it, now there is some time quotient in the mix 24hours ?, too weird.

If I want to post something that I just thought to post, I just hit post button and purposely do that to bump the thread.

Now If I messed up a post or want to add to it, I "edit" the post.

But what is the purpose of a forum if you have something NEW to say, but we are not allowed to do it ?

Like right now I am editing THIS post because I wanted to ADD to it that I will just post like once every two months or something, I guess they don't want the forum to be used or something, don't make sense.

I don't understand what their objective is to understand what they mean.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

It's a rule which is now very old ... you agreed to it when you joined this forum.
This rule is set up to prevent this forum to get spamy ...If you search for something is it simpler to find.
The "no double post rule" is maybe unique in the UT community but till now did it work very good.
Red_Fist wrote: I guess they don't want the forum to be used or something, don't make sense.
Yes, we don't want the forum to be used like 4Chan ... or an IRC-Chat.
We want people to read, write and find.

I hope this is clear now.
EvilGrins wrote:I'd like to share such a moment · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/83978.html
Yes ...I failed too ... and that's the main reason why I try to argue with people.
If you double post by accident, is there no problem. If you keep double posting despite the advices of the staff can we get slightly displeased.

Btw. Grins what exactly is the purpose of this thread?
Just to mock the staff?
Or do you want to discuss certain rules? Then I should move this thread to the "Suggestion, Criticism, Questions" section.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

papercoffee wrote: Btw. Grins what exactly is the purpose of this thread?
Just to mock the staff?
Actually I think it's a good discussion to have, though Grins made it into more of a thumb-in-your-eye than it needed to be. paper, you are a deeply respected person in the community and I mean no disrespect by having an opinion, but you do get a wee bit militant at times with this one 'rule'. Clearly there's been a few members who were called out for breaking it while they were new and then chose to discontinue posting. That's never a good thing. However UT99 is continually absent most of the drama you see elsewhere so whatever you are doing is obviously working well.

I think everyone would appreciate mods quietly joining double/triple posts while privately messaging the offenders about their behavior. If it continues then perhaps a public statement is in order but give people a chance to adjust before everyone gets to see their error. Your own displeasure at seeing Grin's screencap of your own mistake should tell you how others feel about a public castigation, often done in large font with red letters.

Anyway, my 2 pence on the subject.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:If you click Paper's rules link in the signature it doesn't it tell you how to bump posts without double posting (Rule #8). You copy your old post, delete it then repost it. And bumping it you put your edited text below

The reason the rule exists is to keep the forum clean. Sure there are forum addons which can make it automatic, but it's not hard to do and good etiquette to learn for on other forums
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I can totally understand you Kelly ...but my policy is always to let people know by whom and why a post got edited.
I hate nothing more then a silent edit on my post.
Once on a different forum (not even UT related) was this normal that moderator and admins edited your post without letting you know they did it.

When I started here as moderator did I merge posts and wrote my "Edit----- by" ...I thought they would notice it and would stop their posting behavior.
I got ignored ...many times ...and I got tired from just run after member and fix the threads. I started to write in big red letters that they should avoid it next time please.

Their are two simple options:
If you don't want my big red letters in your post, then just avoid double posting within the 24 hours limit.
Or convince Shade to fire me.

Thread moved to "Suggestion, Criticism, Questions"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

papercoffee wrote: Their are two simple options:
If you don't want my big red letters in your post, then just avoid double posting within the 24 hours limit.
Or convince Shade to fire me.
That may come off as a little more "my way or the highway" than you mean it to be....Or not, if that's the case.

I think I speak for the vast majority here in that absolutely no one wants Shade to 'fire' any mod, least of which would be you. I just think that there's a very mild undercurrent of dislike for what can be perceived as a bit of a heavy hand. If this forum were seeing postings in the hundreds daily then yeah, that's an issue to be addressed. When the daily post count is in the teens on a good day (single digits on most) I'd be a bit slower to nibble on the fingers typing the replies. Most other Unreal related forums are increasingly becoming silent now (Unreal Admin, BUF come to mind) so it might be time to reconsider rule 8 entirely. Even if it were totally repealed an hour from now, what's the worst thing that's going to happen? There would be 14 posts today instead of 13?

Not trying to stir pots here but I've never been one to blindly follow rules simply because they exist. Either they serve a real purpose or you dispense of them. The conversation needs to be more about the validity of rule 8 than it's enforcement virtues.

All that being said if there was an election for UPresident I would nominate paper first and without hesitation, then organize a political action committee to ensure his candidacy. No one is a better steward for the health of the game.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

The rule has and will have its purpose ... I thought about what would happen if we would get rid of this rule and it would be like in the other forums. We would get more posts but not from more people.
We would just get more nutjobs who doesn't think about what they want to post ...searching a certain issue would be much heavier because you would get instead of one post from each person multiple posts for the same matter.
I don't know if you tried the search function here. It's already complicated with 5 pages of response to the search but with multiple posts one after another in the same thread would the page count raise to 10 or even 15 pages.

This rule is important to keep the forum clean and clear.

I would rather say because of our simple but important rules are we still active.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I understand people may think that red is used in anger, but it is just so it stands-out.
We'll try another colour maybe, but you will still get the same text, if not from Paper, then from me, Gen or Gecko.
The point about Shade firing Paper, is because as long as he is a mod, he will tidy up.
Same here. If you want me not to edit rapid double posts, I will also have to be fired.

It just happens to be that Paper is very eagle-eyed and here more often than us, so he posts the most red writing.
Yellow is the other standard warning colour, but it will not show up on this pale backdrop.
Users are getting a warning, but it is not something we ban for, or get overly anxious about. It just gets annoying having to tidy-up repeatedly, and Paper has been tidying for several years (hence a clean site).

Unlike many forums this site allows users to edit and delete old posts, and unlike many other forums it is kept tidy as possible for convenient searching.
We take context into consideration, and if you are basically adding to what you already said, then we prefer if you do it literally.
We also recognise accidental identical posts that happen when the site did not refresh properly.
If you are taking your post in a new direction, then occasionally we accept this as it can be more helpful to split the post.
Remember this site works well because it is structured like a web-site, not an instant messenger chat session or facebook.

And yes maybe we need to make it clearer about how to bump your previous posts, as it is not common practice I know.
I had to be taught how to do it first time, but since then I have only had a few accidents.
I do find that half the time I don't need to bump, but only to add or change relevant info. I regularly update old posts with corrected info or new links, rather than tack it on the end.
It now annoys the hell out of me when forums don't let me edit or delete posts, because years down the road things have changed and now there is wrong info I can't change.
Yeah I know it is annoying to have to copy, delete and remake your post, but we don't have a bump-button :(
It is a compromise between annoying yourself or someone else. because the posts will get edited either way.

I have suggested orange as an alternative colour to Paper, maybe people will see it with less offence.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Dr.Flay wrote:Yeah I know it is annoying to have to copy, delete and remake your post, but we don't have a bump-button :(
It is a compromise between annoying yourself or someone else. because the posts will get edited either way.
There IS a "Bump topic" button at the very bottom... In very old threads as far as I've noticed (right next to "Subscribe" and "Bookmark" buttons). On more recent ones it doesn't show up :?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:I still don't get it, now there is some time quotient in the mix 24hours ?, too weird.
Ultimately we don't need to get it. It's their forum, thus their rule... and it's not hard to not do it if you're mindful of it.
papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:I'd like to share such a moment · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/83978.html
Btw. Grins what exactly is the purpose of this thread?
Just to mock the staff?
Or do you want to discuss certain rules? Then I should move this thread to the "Suggestion, Criticism, Questions" section.
Partial mock, partial because I noticed that this week there seems to be more double-posts than usual, even accidentals, and just wanted to share a funny about it from back when.

I got no problem with the double-post rule, it's a good rule to have but this is the only forum i know that enforces it as much as it's done. Just think it should be a bit more lightly taken and not so much of a HOW DARE YOU DOULE-POST WHEN YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER thing.

Hell, when I screw up I give myself Hell about it. Filed under the loose category of "I am too stupid to live".
papercoffee wrote:Once on a different forum (not even UT related) was this normal that moderator and admins edited your post without letting you know they did it.
I've accidentally done that. Hook made me a mod on his forum and I once thought I hit reply to something he said to me but it turned out I hit edit and edited his post without realizing it until after i sent it.
Dr.Flay wrote:I understand people may think that red is used in anger, but it is just so it stands-out.
I usually see red as the correction marks my teachers made on my papers when I was in school... but now I see, they were angry! :satan:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

the forums rules/mods are way to strict. I'd rather have more posts to read then worry about the search functions. more fun is always good. Soon this place will dry up like unreaadmin. most f the pages are crawled by google and the like. I never search these forums I simply search google.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

EvilGrins wrote: Hell, when I screw up I give myself Hell about it. Filed under the loose category of "I am too stupid to live".
papercoffee wrote:Once on a different forum (not even UT related) was this normal that moderator and admins edited your post without letting you know they did it.
I've accidentally done that. Hook made me a mod on his forum and I once thought I hit reply to something he said to me but it turned out I hit edit and edited his post without realizing it until after i sent it.
I've done this as well @ Hook's. :loool: :help:
I usually don't mind the forum rule. Because I try to follow as close and it don't bother a whole lot. I remember that I did made double post by lots of accident, I really can't pinpoint how is this happening to me some other times. After I made a post, I take a look before leaving to make sure it looks OK.

Also, I usually carry this "follow the forum rule" sig around with me on a few forums and I guess it helps. ;)
Stolen from [FuN]... just giving credit where I found it. <3
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well seeing as I was the one who went on the drunken rage rant, and spilled my beer in my keyboard that is now trash, it was a cheapy anyway.

My brain tells me , "a forum" if I had no new information I would just add to a former post.
But since it's a forum I think by default there is like a lot of space to at least post progress with a map, or a NEW problem, or ask a question. ALL in the same day and ALL in a relevant thread each a new post.

Why would I do that, why yet another burdensome post ? because I WANT it to be a new post, and not necessarily to bump the thread.

But it is nagging is the way I see it, as if I was posting 10 things in a row with 3 words, but I probably topped off at 2 things in 24 hours, like wow kill me.
The red letters are no problem, but a constant warning for something that trivial. Like to see you do that in a meeting, like you get one sentence, and come back the next day for another sentence. Hence it is a forum, and I don't even come close to making tons of posts. Unless it's in the same thread.
So, I am supposed to make a post in notepad so I don't forget what it was, save up a bunch of things, then a week later copy all that and make one post. that is how ridiculous it seems too me.

So ya I don't call that a double post I don't know how anyone thought that up, since I wouldn't waste the space for an old thought.

So I will just read from the sidelines and not clog up the place. well this is my bi-yearly post all used up already.

I agree with ( by Qwerty » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 pm )

He is correct because I come into any forum looking for a topic on top, I don't even have one idea about NOT posting if I was going to comment.
Binary Space Partitioning