What if?

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Re: What if?

Post by Wises »

soo... this is client side.. how would we share this with players?

some kinda umod or other which they download and makes said changes to player.ini so that news comes up in their "News" tabs.

kinda pointless I think if its just for us.. even if it looks cool.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

There are basic tags which can be used to configure in cute colors your basic information in MapVote:
ToMapVote.png
I'm feel sorry only because I'm not good at design... :noidea
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Wises wrote:soo... this is client side.. how would we share this with players?
We better don`t? Or just never without asking the players.

There are enough servers that inject their ips to the favourites, unwanted. What happens when if this gets started without question?

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Problem 1) This is about additional lines it is not editing anything existent. Like I said you can use this for checking your stuff if is OK right in game;
Problem 2) This is player's wish if wants news, we can suggest where can find them "based on tastes" and editing for browsing a "RSS" related simple html lines in cute colors.
Problem3) If ANYONE will ever screw my inis with current settings I'll put up personal protections as follows:
- In case of playing in max 3 locations (probably best servers) - INI are going to be READ-ONLY - DONE;
- Else a copy outside of UT folder is a bless and game fired using a BAT file which will restore INI files at each launch. No more bullsh!t.

That ATF mod is for sure made to no longer have visitors. Player frustrated won't return soon in that place, as admin in future you can expect server hunted if is configured like that. I'm agree to align player at the same NetSpeed but screwing other favorite and/or personal data is not a magic good thing. When I was attacked by ATF in the past I deleted instantly INI allowing UT to recreate other fresh one - being noob I suspected other nasty things done there and I got rid of file in a couple of seconds. BYE favorites!
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

sektor2111 wrote:Problem 1) This is about additional lines it is not editing anything existent. Like I said you can use this for checking your stuff if is OK right in game;
Problem 2) This is player's wish if wants news, we can suggest where can find them "based on tastes" and editing for browsing a "RSS" related simple html lines in cute colors.
Problem3) If ANYONE will ever screw my inis with current settings I'll put up personal protections as follows:
- In case of playing in max 3 locations (probably best servers) - INI are going to be READ-ONLY - DONE;
- Else a copy outside of UT folder is a bless and game fired using a BAT file which will restore INI files at each launch. No more bullsh!t.

That ATF mod is for sure made to no longer have visitors. Player frustrated won't return soon in that place, as admin in future you can expect server hunted if is configured like that. I'm agree to align player at the same NetSpeed but screwing other favorite and/or personal data is not a magic good thing. When I was attacked by ATF in the past I deleted instantly INI allowing UT to recreate other fresh one - being noob I suspected other nasty things done there and I got rid of file in a couple of seconds. BYE favorites!
The batch idea sounds very nice. Write protection, yea... i always forget to activate it, especially after playing on camper servers it bugs me with nododge on ictf ^^
Good thing, use XBrowser to "defend" your favourites and unwanted server changes/redirection.

What is ATF?

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

basically it will be tell player if they wish to receive 'News Feeds' then type !more info into chat.
this opens website with relevant info and 'Download Link' for umod or manual install of 'NewsFeed' adjustments.
that way it is above board!

what we need then is a basic mod which does these things.

problems;

xbrowser is very popular and awesome.
but!! how to bypass 'hardcoded' news page?
^ need to speak to {G}Ott about this and few other issues have found regarding incorrect country flags.

should solve problems.

ideas for mod;

have window popup with disclaimer (linked to website)
player ticks box (accepting disclaimer) and mod installed .. .ini changed.

mod md5 checksummed in distributable file or something.
sorted.

for seasoned .ini editors link to manual install.

foreseeable problems: can only have 1 news feed from 1 server?

or some way to have multiple news feeds ie; insert code and links on 'NewsFeed' page which switches content based on '<a href='feed_001'>server01</a><a href='feed_002>server02</a>..... etc

edit @sektor

that's mapvote's 'info' window , not UBroswers 'News' window...

also when it comes to design .. only need to learn which fonts (max 2 different styles) to use .

and what colors work best together.. little time consuming .. but in your screenie.. the red on turquoise is conflicting.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I found that "News" thing while I was playing with MapVote, It does the same things, it uses internal UT capabilities to browse basic web-pages.
Yesterday I have updated files to receive Coop and TeamMonsterHunt games. UT is cool what can do by itself.
noccer wrote:What is ATF?
G00gle for Favorites chapter, it was a debate somewhere, this crap screws player's Favorites Servers list.