Deleting Posts.

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
UTX
Skilled

Deleting Posts.

Post by UTX »

I think we should be able to delete our own topics even after someone has commented on them, it would help me keep my sanity and keep the site "cleaner". I see my posts have either fulfilled their purpose or have not called enough attention and either way they should be eliminated.
Higor
Godlike

Re: Deleting Posts.

Post by Higor »

And now you won't be able to delete this one muahahaha
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I don't know about deleting posts. Honestly that kind of conflicts in me. On one hand I think you should have control over your posting but there's been SUPER numerous times that something I had relegated to the garbage bin suddenly became incredibly important.

How about creating a 'garbage bin' where unwanted threads can go? Keep them searchable but flag them not to appear in the new posts feed. Everyone will know it's the graveyard but it still allows access if it's found to be needed.

Higor, you are evil. I love it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

That is a good idea Jack, we could have that garbage bin accessible in case users are not sure if they will need the post or not, but keeping the option of actually deleting them.
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

If this forum was a high-traffic site with hundreds of new threads every day, I'd probably agree. However, forums are also a kind of archive. Deleting stuff removes it from everyone's view, particularly anyone who is trying to find solutions that are already available.

Also, there are some people who, at some point, get their five minutes of selfish need to retreat from everywhere and perform a forum mind wipe by removing all of their posts. IMHO that is worse than not being able to delete your own posts. If you really feel you need to hide away something from the public, you can always ask a moderator. If you think you have too much to hide from the public for moderator requests, you might want to reconsider your view on that topic.

BTW: I do have a similar view on deleting accounts in public forums. Unless you really made an ass out of yourself repeatedly, there's not much reason to be ashamed of anything you posted. Your posts will likely stay in the Internet Archive, accessible by the Wayback Machine, anyway.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

As far as deletion goes, for now you can just request a moderator or admin for the thread to be removed...
JackGriffin wrote:I don't know about deleting posts. Honestly that kind of conflicts in me. On one hand I think you should have control over your posting but there's been SUPER numerous times that something I had relegated to the garbage bin suddenly became incredibly important.

How about creating a 'garbage bin' where unwanted threads can go? Keep them searchable but flag them not to appear in the new posts feed. Everyone will know it's the graveyard but it still allows access if it's found to be needed.
We kind of already have a thing like this, but for now only the staff can see it. Good idea though :wink:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Higor wrote:And now you won't be able to delete this one muahahaha
This :satan:

But a garbage bin as an archive bin...? Would be good I guess. Or call the internet archive, and this post won't get delete in the archive! :loool:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGecko wrote:
JackGriffin wrote: How about creating a 'garbage bin' where unwanted threads can go? Keep them searchable but flag them not to appear in the new posts feed. Everyone will know it's the graveyard but it still allows access if it's found to be needed.
We kind of already have a thing like this, but for now only the staff can see it. Good idea though :wink:
Most of the threads (exceptions are ad spam posts from bots/dorks) are thrown into the trash section to have them as backup.
We deleted only spam posts ...to let the poster decide to delete their own threads would get messy really quick when people like billybill get this "power".
Where is the limit?
Deleting your own posts only out of a thread and destroy an argument filled discussion?
Delete your thread (because it's your first post) and taking all the answers posted with it in the trash?
A time limit ...you get 2 hours before you can't delete your post anymore?

This, to be honest is complicated and not really worth the effort. If you are the last one in a thread and no one other has answered, are you free to delete your last post ...otherwise ask a staff to remove it. This is much simpler.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Users asking to delete thier posts and profile is not uncommon.
It is easier to just disable the email notifications and not come back.
People think it will only affect them, but it has a domino effect.

We look at each case on it's own merit and make a group decision in the staff room.
We discuss the reasons and options via PM with the user.
However, because this is a public forum (people need to remind them-self sometime of the origin of "Forum"), you cannot undo what you have said, unless nobody read or heard it.
Many of the pages here get ingested into the web archive for posterity.

If a thread has no interaction from other users, then it may not upset things to be deleted or removed. If you point us at such a thread, we will seriously consider it.
If a thread has interaction from other users (especially any quotes), it puts us in the position of having to notify all the people in the thread that it is now borked and may not make sense.
They then have to decide if they want to keep their posts also.

To avoid playing jenga with posts, we looked at the options available with public speech.
Well, anyone can quote anything that someone has said in public or "on the record", as long as it is provably true.
So our solution is the user "ut99.org" will quote every post, verbatim.
Unless the posts break the site rules, they still stay.
Believe me when I say there are plenty of posts and threads that I would love to delete, but that is not how talking in a public space works.

Remember, this is not a clan forum and our standard is stricter here than most sites.
We hope that in another 10 years all links and searches to any post here will still function.

We will try and work our way through the old posts and see what can be tidied, but forgive us if it is not top priority.
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

The staff option is the best one :ironic2:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

In some cases it might be worth skimming the Unanswered posts to delete something nobody ever replied to before, to post it again and see if it gets people's attention now. There's actually some interesting stuff in there, guessing most likely posted on slow days or during major sporting events.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Anyone should think twice before to post some useless trash and later wanting post to be removed. Last time were posted some useless and stupid posts good for nothing (I was interested to learn something reading them but...). Since the announcement of BP5 I figured decreased people's interest in reading this forum (I was even informed privately about that) and all later posts which were coming were bullshits in chat style. Those being useless for comunity should be removed like "abandoned project" types which were even far from a good idea having null things in common with UScript.
This is not my forum else you could see my reaction toward retarded post with 0 valid points of view... :loool:

Aside from me a "garbage of person" and having the rank of Trash-Remover - if some people forget to answer at a question asked by a third guy related to their stuff without a leaving reply, but they suddenly mock other's threads, their previous useless thread with a released "work" should be cleaned up as long as it just proves 0 management of stuff released.

Other kinda Gizmo habbits in forums sometimes are annoying staff from other domains - they even have CLEAR rules: USE GOOGLE before SPAMING things ALREADY posted on INTERNET multiple times + WIKIPEDIA.