2 New CTF maps created +3 more.(new)

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Nephew9999
Adept

Re: 2 New CTF maps created

Post by Nephew9999 »

Renegade wrote:Screens please :P
Bump
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: 2 New CTF maps created

Post by Terraniux »

i will update the topic later with screens.
This member can only post when permitted.
Terraniux
Masterful

Re: 2 New CTF maps created +1 more.

Post by Terraniux »

instead of opening another topic i might as well edit this topic.

I spend less time on the skybox this time, as I tried to not distract the player too much. It might get updated.
More details are in readme file. All is about jumpinp and landing correctly.

http://crystalunreal.com/Iframes/Downlo ... lRocks.rar
http://crystalunreal.com/Iframes/Downlo ... lRocks.zip
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, this is a fun map :tu:

My main comment is that the 'void' does not seem to be a kill zone or, at least, not all of it is, in that it is possible to fall or be pushed/shot off a space island and land on something solid but invisible - don't think this applies all over the 'void' though. In my first game, the bots on my team all disappeared but didn't die and in the next game I got pushed off and landed on something but couldn't move. I was playing with a lot of health but that normally should't have this effect.

-----------EDIT --------------
There is also an invisible but solid ring beneath the space islands and it is possible to land on it without dying and move around it - in fact some batttles between bots took place here.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

OjitroC wrote:Yes, this is a fun map :tu:

My main comment is that the 'void' does not seem to be a kill zone or, at least, not all of it is, in that it is possible to fall or be pushed/shot off a space island and land on something solid but invisible - don't think this applies all over the 'void' though. In my first game, the bots on my team all disappeared but didn't die and in the next game I got pushed off and landed on something but couldn't move. I was playing with a lot of health but that normally should't have this effect.

-----------EDIT --------------
There is also an invisible but solid ring beneath the space islands and it is possible to land on it without dying and move around it - in fact some batttles between bots took place here.
Thanks for your reply!

I've been testing this map for over an hour lol, I could not get that happen.
Under the island(s) there is simple nothing, like nothing at all.
Weird. I'll look into it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Probably not worth worrying about as it may only happen in one particular part of the map and/or because I was playing with a lot of health.

I see that players/bots, when falling off the space islands, are killed by falling to the bottom of the map, hence the death message "... left a small crater". Perhaps zoning everything under the space islands as a Vacuum Zone would be more appropriate (since the islands are in a vacuum) and would address any anomalous areas where it might be possible to survive a fall/being pushed?

I get what you mean about using the kickers in the right way as it is certainly possible to incur a lot of damage doing it the wrong way - that is part of the fun, as is watching the bots bouncing on the turbo jumper.

------------------ EDIT -----------------------------
I've worked out what has been happening. Hitting the bottom of the map results in a health hit of around 400, so if one is playing with a health mutator and has more health than that, one survives. What I thought was an anomalous area is actually the bottom of the map.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

CTF-CrystalRocks
Pros:
- Nice environment;
- Not a bad mapping idea.
Cons:
- Bot lost - Flags are not linked at all - Usage of a correct jumping = CTF-Lucius. A JumpSpot SOLO = Useless. Also there is an example CTF-300k-w00tious about using jumping stuff;
- Missing proper Kill-Zone (that's a camping spot not a threat) - Usage of a kill-zone = CTF-Face, CTF-Lucius, etc.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

The flag is not linked? Weird I was pretty sure I saw bots taking the flags.

I see the problem already. The editor was crashing after time, so reinstalled UT but I re-opened accidentally an old file of the map instead the newest.
Crap. :roll:

Yes I forgot to zone the outer-environment.

Good points.

I will bring update later.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I like it if mappers and/or coders take constructive reviews into account and release error fixed updates of their work. :D :gj:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Played all 3 maps last night, took screenshots too but haven't posted them yet.

Super Short Reviews:
CTF-CrystalRocks
- Not everyone who falls over the edge dies.
- Jumpads from the middle area are too strong, landings cause a lot of damage.
- Bots don't leave their team's side unless following human player.

CTF-DONUT
- Bots tend to circle around map on one side only (unless following a human player) both teams.

CTF-BackAlly
- Psychotically fun.
- Very intense action.

For donut & backalley I had to use the FullyLoaded mutator to give all players weapons.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

This is looking good now - great fun to play and challenging as well. The bots are pretty active and certainly do go for the flag now.

May be it is just me but I find the jump-pad on the red side is variable; sometimes one does jump to the centre island but other times one just goes a short distance or straight up in the air.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Yes I had the same problem but that's one I can't fix. The swjumppad is not mine, so I used settings that worked for me and the bots in general.
The actor is a kicker and a teleporter at the same time. If you know the solution for that, you can have look in UED for that and change it. I don't know. :?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote:the jump-pad on the red side is variable; sometimes one does jump to the centre island but other times one just goes a short distance or straight up in the air.
Terraniux wrote:Yes I had the same problem but that's one I can't fix.
I had a look at the map: what kicker has that behaviour? The "normal" one ("swjumppad3") or the "Turbo" ("Kicker0")?
On a quick view swjumppad3 (red base)/swjumppad6 (blue base) as well as the Turbo Kickers ("Kicker0"/"Kicker1") have the same setup and should not behave different. (On a short test play I didn't notice anything unusual; also the log is clean.)
<EDIT>
After some dozens jumps I can confirm that misbehaviour (got kicked up only), but I noticed it at swjumppad19 (jump pad leading to red base). It seems to be a problem of swjumppad itself, that under certain conditions the velocity vector is not calculated correctly.
</EDIT>
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote: After some dozens jumps I can confirm that misbehaviour (got kicked up only), but I noticed it at swjumppad19 (jump pad leading to red base). It seems to be a problem of swjumppad itself, that under certain conditions the velocity vector is not calculated correctly.
Yes, it happens a lot with the swjumppad from the central island to the blue island so I am sure you are right that it is a general problem with swjumppad. The question then is, can it be fixed?