Red_Fists mapping stuff.

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Red_Fists mapping stuff.

Post by Red_Fist »

DM-Zoneblok

This map was only to try a zone for a small zone for thrust, it has DM strategy and you can bounce or land and shoot.just for fun, then I just had to add more, one zone per cube sticking out of the floor. It's like a bouncy map jumping on the cubes-(*zones").
Thing will probably fry mapchecker. :P
Attachments
DMzoneblok.zip
(281.39 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
1stripetxBW2a512.jpg
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Red_Fists mapping stuff.

Post by Red_Fist »

Not a download but things I observed using editor.

I know these are not technical tips, but I want to write them down someplace in history.
Plus a lot of mappers probably already know this stuff or even better methods.

Permanently transform
Makes it so you can edit a brush as if the settings are starting out all over after it has been scaled , so zero "0", will be zero again.
If you take a really tall brush and try to keep shrinking it scaling it way down, it won't scale as small as you want.
But if you transform that scaled-down tall brush, it will then scale again to get to a unit of 1 thickness.

If you can't see the path node lines in zone view, try the BSP or textures view for different background color.

But if you need to put plants or a lot of actors out. Select all of them and move them all so your first actor is placed and DE-select it. As opposed to selecting one and moving it each time and having to click and place one each time, you De select your way to nothing.

Same principal for aligning textures, rather than selecting a surface on a brush, select all the surfaces, the DE-select one surface and align all the selected ones to the non selected surface, then select the surface back again.
So when you are done you will know you hit every side, De-select your way to no surface. It saves a lot of clicking.

Working on already made maps or to change (or see) properties faster of a certain actor.
Just open the edit search-find then go click on the first actor in the list you want, gun1, gun2. etc
Leave the actor property window open to the property you want to change, each time you click on the search it jumps to the next one and the property window will be at the exact place to edit what you need. Also know that you got every actor of that type and not miss one.

HIDE and unhide is quite powerful thing to use, like two brushes already in place with tons of other brushes around.
So if you have to send one ,to back, and not screw up all the other brushes, like carving them out. Hide everything but the two brushes and send one to last. Fixing BSP and ordering and many other possibilities to hide and unhide actors.

I set a brute to use the "turret" mode, I killed it, had another brute with regular settings. Inadvertently the normal Brute walked in the place of the dead brute and it turned into using turret mode by itself.
Binary Space Partitioning