UnrealArchive.org

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Post by OjitroC »

Neon_Knight wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:49 pm
OjitroC wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:44 pm UT99->Maps->Single Player->EOL_Statues is (despite what the readme says) not a SP map but an Entry Map (perhaps you need a separate category for these?).
EOL_Statues isn't already included with UT99 itself? IICR it's the map that shows your trophies in the SP Ladder.
I don't know to be honest (I don't have the original). You may well be right.

The readme indicates it was made in 2001 by Yoda as a SP map for 2-8 players!! (with loads of weapons in etc) - though this obviously isn't correct. The LevelInfo for the map in the zip says it was made by James Schmalz; the gametype is Botpack.UTIntro; and the map name is End of Ladder. There is only one PlayerStart and no weapons. Try to play the map and you can't - it just opens like an entry map. So perhaps Yoda put the wrong EOL_Statues.unr in the zip archive?

The point is that it appears on UnrealArchive as a Single Player map - which it isn't. It can be used as an Entry map (I am at the moment) and so possibly best categorised as that?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I want exciting new little mutators. i suggest a "Discover" section, where you, uhh... discover?

...anyways, I remember downloading and playing gametypes like "Apprehension", "Bazooka Tag" etc., they were from the same website and - presumably - the same author. I think they were separate from each other and not big enough to quality as a "mod" in the traditional UT sense of the word, but I can't seem to find them! And also a mutator pack that was called, uhh, I don't know, something like Hawthorn or something? I don't recall the name very well, but it was made by the same author as those gametypes, and it had several small mutators.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:58 am And also a mutator pack that was called, uhh, I don't know, something like Hawthorn or something? I don't recall the name very well, but it was made by the same author as those gametypes, and it had several small mutators.
Nice one - I'm sure YOU remember the name (UTBP5) :P (another one for sektor!).
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:58 am I want exciting new little mutators. i suggest a "Discover" section, where you, uhh... discover?

...anyways, I remember downloading and playing gametypes like "Apprehension", "Bazooka Tag" etc., they were from the same website and - presumably - the same author. I think they were separate from each other and not big enough to quality as a "mod" in the traditional UT sense of the word, but I can't seem to find them! And also a mutator pack that was called, uhh, I don't know, something like Hawthorn or something? I don't recall the name very well, but it was made by the same author as those gametypes, and it had several small mutators.
The gametypes seem to be from UncommonPlace, now dead, but available on archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20061208163 ... com/games/

Apprehension: http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ga ... _1.0.1.zip
Bazookatag: http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ga ... okatag.zip

These are great little ones to archive, I'll try to set them up. :tu:

Dunno about the mutators though...

Discovery is a bit of a difficult one, I'm not sure how that would look or work. I had the idea of hand-curated "collections" where anyone could put together collections of fun or interesting mods, maps, mutators, skins, etc., but someone still needs to put in the "work" of actually discovering that stuff in the first place :P

Not sure what the answer is.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Shrimp wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:43 am Dunno about the mutators though...
I thought the OP was joking as a package named Hawthorn, which contains mutators and gametypes, was bundled with his Unofficial Bonus Pack 5 back in 2015. And, of course, it's not as though Apprehension and Bazooka Tag are difficult to find - they're also on UT Files.

This is Hawthorn - I don't have a readme and I haven't looked to see if it is available elsewhere
Hawthorn.zip
(45.36 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Shrimp wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:43 am Discovery is a bit of a difficult one, I'm not sure how that would look or work. I had the idea of hand-curated "collections" where anyone could put together collections of fun or interesting mods, maps, mutators, skins, etc., but someone still needs to put in the "work" of actually discovering that stuff in the first place :P
Surely the whole Archive is a 'Discovery' site where one can find things one wasn't aware of before (if one looks and tries things out of course)?

More widely on the Archive but now not really relevant - it's a pity that some indication of the directory of origin wasn't kept when harvesting maps in particular from other sites - this would have avoided the problem of having maps for Perfect Dark or Night's Edge, for example, placed in an Unknown category when it is clear what gametype they are for on the other major UT file repositories.

Interested to see that you now have Chaos UT as one of the Mods/Gametypes - that's good - one thing to note though is that this forum's ChaosUT Mapping Contest of 2017/18 did throw up some issues with that mod - I don't remember all the details but some of the ammo has weird collision cylinders which meant that when replacing default UT ammo it tended to 'fall out of the world' in maps. There were other problems as well. Sektor produced a revised version of one of the core files of that mod and this was conformed with the original - it might be worth seeking it out on this forum and including it as a download in the Chaos UT Mod/Gametype section.

Most of the Unkown Unreal maps are either Single Player or Coop (or, in some cases, both).

Is it helpful to you to have long lists of the correct categorisation of maps?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I tend to find that a lot of the missing files actually are on UA, I do a Google with "UnrealArchive and the name of the missing file and I get results for them on some other map on their site.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Wow, thanks guys! That's really cool! How did you find it? DuckDuckGo didn't. I suppose it's because it's down nowadays?
Shrimp wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:43 am Discovery is a bit of a difficult one, I'm not sure how that would look or work. I had the idea of hand-curated "collections" where anyone could put together collections of fun or interesting mods, maps, mutators, skins, etc., but someone still needs to put in the "work" of actually discovering that stuff in the first place :P

Not sure what the answer is.
Maybe record what mods people seem to be interested in downloading in the same session, and show people "People who downloaded this also liked those mods:" or something?

Or more like, not downloading, but some sort of voting system. I dunno.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:32 pm Wow, thanks guys! That's really cool! How did you find it? DuckDuckGo didn't. I suppose it's because it's down nowadays?
I don't know about Shrimp but I found the two gametypes by simply looking on UT-Files - they could have been equally easily found by a quick look on medor's site as well. The Hawthorn files I had - looks like I got them from your bonus pack from 2015. If you are looking for something specific it is just as easy to go to one of the major file sites as it is to do a search on the net, plus you might something else unrelated that looks interesting.
Gustavo6046 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:32 pm Maybe record what mods people seem to be interested in downloading in the same session, and show people "People who downloaded this also liked those mods:" or something?
Perhaps but that turns the site into something else other than just an Archive - if it was an option that could be turned off then maybe because, to be brutally honest, I have no interest in knowing what other people have downloaded - I want to 'discover' things for myself but that's just my opinion.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:50 pm I don't know about Shrimp but I found the two gametypes by simply looking on UT-Files - they could have been equally easily found by a quick look on medor's site as well. The Hawthorn files I had - looks like I got them from your bonus pack from 2015. If you are looking for something specific it is just as easy to go to one of the major file sites as it is to do a search on the net, plus you might something else unrelated that looks interesting.
Ah, I see.

What? Weird. I don't remember "GusPack" having any Hawthorn files or anything. I think I had found it in a similar website. I'm starting to think they're not from the same author, though.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:50 pm Perhaps but that turns the site into something else other than just an Archive - if it was an option that could be turned off then maybe because, to be brutally honest, I have no interest in knowing what other people have downloaded - I want to 'discover' things for myself but that's just my opinion.
Hm, good point. Perhaps assigning tags to the mods instead? Like, keywords, or something. That's how e621 does it.

--------

EDIT: Oh wait, you already posted it! How did I miss that? I have been searching for that for so long, and I couldn't find it literally anywhere, not even a meaty DDG search could find it! I thought I could have forgotten the exact name or have been going crazy or something, thank you oh so much!

I mean, geez.

So much stuff disappearing. I still wish I could see again those maps I remember playing during my childhood. I think one of them had Coret-like bases carved out of a rectangular cuboid placed in a big outdoors area, an outdoors area that I remember had one corner with a tiny pond with a Reedemer in it. I think that each team had its own outdoors area, which is kinda funny, and that they were connected by tunnels through a "cliff"? I'm using the word "outdoors" liberally, think ceiling with Fake Backdrop or something.

Just memories. Often vague memories. This game's corners are crumbling, and with them the chance to see again the memories of many people, young and old. The Unreal Archive is a massive service to the community, and I can't thank you enough for it. People like you and medor let dreams stay alive. Thank you Shrimp! Big heart to ya! <3

--------

EDIT 2: Hang on. I already had the Hawthorn files all along?! That's weird, I don't remember downloading them! My UT copy - and all modifications I make to it - is versioned by Git, I wonder if I can use that to tell when exactly I put Hawthorn there.

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:21 pm What? Weird. I don't remember "GusPack" having any Hawthorn files or anything.
That is, I must admit, an assumption on my part as I found the Hawthorn stuff in a folder along with the GusPack readme in my Help folder.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

You mean the zip or the .u and .int files? Weird.

GP1 or GP2? (neither of which should've ever existed but ok)

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Corrections to :-

Latest Content Additions
26 January 2021

Unreal Tournament Model - ONI KonokoFSrv
Author = Rikia

Unreal Tournament Voice - Konoko
Author = OjitroC
Packaged Files indicates 4 Misc Files BUT there are only 3 files in the zip (the VP .u file, the VP .int file and the readme) so the parser seems to have made an error there.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:48 pm Packaged Files indicates 4 Misc Files BUT there are only 3 files in the zip (the VP .u file, the VP .int file and the readme) so the parser seems to have made an error there.
Thanks, will correct the authors.

With regards to the number of files - there's a `__MACOSX` directory with some hidden metadata files included, which it detected.

I'll update it to ignore these directories in future but it's probably best to not package them :wink:
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Shrimp wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 am With regards to the number of files - there's a `__MACOSX` directory with some hidden metadata files included, which it detected.

I'll update it to ignore these directories in future but it's probably best to not package them :wink:
That's interesting, didn't know about that before. I'm using a Mac of course so I don't see that directory and I didn't know those hidden files were being created - I've put loads of zips on here before and nobody has mentioned those files. But it's very useful to know about this nonetheless.

i've found a way to zip files without the hidden directory by using Terminal which is rather more complicated than the two mouse clicks it normally takes to compress files. For me it's easier to do it the normal way and for WIndows users to simply delete that hidden (to me) directory.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Can the Archive please have a folder dedicated to the work of MrLoathsome ?
Weirdly his site is back up for some reason but it will not be permanent, so now is the time to grab everything he made and posted there.
http://www.ecoop.ucoz.com/load/
Most of it is saved in the web archive but not all, so it would be nice if people could fill in the gaps by pulling and saving files via
https://web.archive.org/web/20210202011 ... .com/load/