Page 3 of 5

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:47 am
by Red_Fist
You mean Filefront, then they changed and then it sucked.

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:23 pm
by rjmno1
website looks great.
The only problem what you can have is that some ut 99 and unreal servers can host a file comparing your website about the traffic control and limits of hosting you file website.
But the website looking very good keep up the good works. :gj: looks great.

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:42 pm
by Shrimp
Wow, convenient and timely thread bumps.

Unreal Archive now supports file uploads, via the following page: https://unrealarchive.org/submit/index.html

This will upload files and create an automatic Pull Request on the content git repo, where it will be reviewed and merged. Depending on the traffic load, I may seek assistance with PRs later, I'll let you know.

When you submit files, please keep the following in mind:

- you can upload multiple files at once, but each file should contain one piece of content only: eg. one map and its associated files, not 10 maps (10 maps will be detected as a map pack - unless that's what you want); and not one map and a mutator, or a mutator and a voice pack - the system can't decide what it is you're submitting otherwise.

- same as the above, don't upload your personal collection of 4gb of loose files in a single .zip file or something - the system won't be able to classify this, and you'll have wasted your time uploading it.

- please only upload completed non work-in-progress stuff; unless it's something that's playable but just hasn't had work done in years - this is still an archive for content preservation and indexing for the future, not your temporary file host. such submissions may not be merged.

Now that that's out the way, I'll get back onto some of the other outstanding features, like more documentation, "recent files" lists which will compliment the upload feature, and a more detailed file list/locator thing, which seemed as though it would be useful based on some recent "MyLevel.utx" discussions.

Have fun :rock:

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:28 pm
by Novaeon
I really appreciate the effort you've put into this! This is a great resource!

As a suggestion, would it be possible to allow editing individual parts of entries? I found one of my old maps on there, but without screenshots or author appearing, so I'd like to add those (And possibly for others as well).

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 pm
by Skillz
Shrimp, if you need any sort of access to my file host to make things easier for you then let me know.

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:06 pm
by Shrimp
So that's a bit difficult at the moment :mrgreen:.

Currently the process requires you to go to the git repository that holds all the data (https://github.com/unreal-archive/unreal-archive-data), find the metadata file(s) in question, make changes, and submit a pull request with the changes. The changes will be reviewed and then merged.

This is a bit of a low-level workflow that, while familiar to most developers in the audience, is obviously rather foreign and unfriendly to most people. I hope to put a simpler process to help with this.

I the meantime, feel free to use the issue reporting (https://github.com/unreal-archive/unrea ... ata/issues) page to request changes (I think you can also attach images to an issue), and I'll manually tweak things for you.
Skillz wrote:Shrimp, if you need any sort of access to my file host to make things easier for you then let me know.
Thanks! I'm going to try implementing some more code-related stuff in the near term, and then get back to collecting files. Once I have a plan for that, and somewhere to store all the stuff for processing on my end, I'll be in touch!

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:33 pm
by darksonny
As shrimp suggested me to post some ideas (that could be doable ...or not its up for Shrimp depending on the possibilities/issues to implementing etc...)here:

As wikipedia does but more restricted, ideas:

1) Do you see map does not have any pcture preview attached in the map? Create an edit option to upload picture/s for this map. Same for mappacks
2) Edit button to correct some wrong info that could be based on proven info, example wrong author, email etc..

The admin could do approval whatever on those options and locking the edit button to prevent changes once its proven true or data is corrected.

The idea is giving more ease to shrimp ditching/skipping more hard work for him in fullfiling those "blank" parts (missing picture preview, change if its know the "unknow" word if somebody knows who did that content) that are still pending to complete.

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:08 pm
by rjmno1
Shrimp wrote:Wow, convenient and timely thread bumps.

Unreal Archive now supports file uploads, via the following page: https://unrealarchive.org/submit/index.html

This will upload files and create an automatic Pull Request on the content git repo, where it will be reviewed and merged. Depending on the traffic load, I may seek assistance with PRs later, I'll let you know.

When you submit files, please keep the following in mind:

- you can upload multiple files at once, but each file should contain one piece of content only: eg. one map and its associated files, not 10 maps (10 maps will be detected as a map pack - unless that's what you want); and not one map and a mutator, or a mutator and a voice pack - the system can't decide what it is you're submitting otherwise.

- same as the above, don't upload your personal collection of 4gb of loose files in a single .zip file or something - the system won't be able to classify this, and you'll have wasted your time uploading it.

- please only upload completed non work-in-progress stuff; unless it's something that's playable but just hasn't had work done in years - this is still an archive for content preservation and indexing for the future, not your temporary file host. such submissions may not be merged.

Now that that's out the way, I'll get back onto some of the other outstanding features, like more documentation, "recent files" lists which will compliment the upload feature, and a more detailed file list/locator thing, which seemed as though it would be useful based on some recent "MyLevel.utx" discussions.

Have fun :rock:
uploaded unreal dragon from 2015 by leo tck. :tu:
You can ask the beyound unreal forums to look for the history of unreal on victor delacroix and leo tck to add some files from them also before its lost forever. :gj:

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:10 pm
by Shrimp
rjmno1 wrote:uploaded unreal dragon from 2015 by leo tck. :tu:
That was in that file? I see you tried to upload something, but the log said: "No recognisable content found in file unreal dragon_553b4727.rar"

Currently the system will recognise the following content:

- Maps
- Map Packs
- Mutators
- Skins
- Models
- Voices

If the file contained a mod (gametype, total conversion, etc) or something else, it would not be indexed.

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:50 pm
by rjmno1
Shrimp wrote:
rjmno1 wrote:uploaded unreal dragon from 2015 by leo tck. :tu:
That was in that file? I see you tried to upload something, but the log said: "No recognisable content found in file unreal dragon_553b4727.rar"

Currently the system will recognise the following content:

- Maps
- Map Packs
- Mutators
- Skins
- Models
- Voices

If the file contained a mod (gametype, total conversion, etc) or something else, it would not be indexed.
So if i chance the name to models.rar the system will upload that?
The dragon is a model.
I will give it a try.
uploaded unreal dragon as models.rar and dragon models.rar :tu:

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 pm
by Skillz
The file name of the archive doesn't matter. It's the extension of the files in the archive that matter. What kind of files are you zipping up? (Extensions)

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:47 am
by JackGriffin
rjmno1 wrote: look for the history of unreal on victor delacroix and leo tck to add some files from them also before its lost forever. :gj:
I siteripped everything they were doing, even the personal stuff like the porn mods and personal photos. It will never be 'lost' but I'd like time to talk to Leo to see what he would elect not to be shared. Leo's many disparate things but at his heart he knows very well the value of archiving for posterity, likely better than most of us. I can't imagine he'd have much issue with making some/most of it available. I'll email him once I get a proper file list together of the archive and go from there.

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:36 am
by rjmno1
Skillz wrote:The file name of the archive doesn't matter. It's the extension of the files in the archive that matter. What kind of files are you zipping up? (Extensions)
The dragon from 2015 has uc files also .3d files,pcx files,wav files, u files and txt files.
packed into a rar file.

-MERGED-

JackGriffin wrote:
rjmno1 wrote: look for the history of unreal on victor delacroix and leo tck to add some files from them also before its lost forever. :gj:
I siteripped everything they were doing, even the personal stuff like the porn mods and personal photos. It will never be 'lost' but I'd like time to talk to Leo to see what he would elect not to be shared. Leo's many disparate things but at his heart he knows very well the value of archiving for posterity, likely better than most of us. I can't imagine he'd have much issue with making some/most of it available. I'll email him once I get a proper file list together of the archive and go from there.
You are doing a great job comunicate with him i think that a bunch is also uploaded to moddb, and other private servers.
Save the files on a harddisk is also good.If anyone need some files they can be uploaded also.
In the las 5 years several website was shutting down, like forever.Its good that people are concernt about the files.
Keep up the good works. :tu:

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:10 pm
by papercoffee
@rjmno1 ...still no doubleposts allowed.

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:59 pm
by Skillz
rjmno1 wrote:
Skillz wrote:The file name of the archive doesn't matter. It's the extension of the files in the archive that matter. What kind of files are you zipping up? (Extensions)
The dragon from 2015 has uc files also .3d files,pcx files,wav files, u files and txt files.
packed into a rar file.
That is probably the issue then. His parser probably doesn't know how to categorize the uc, 3d, pcx and wav files in the archive so it doesn't know what to do with them. You need to make an archive of just the .u and .txt files for the model itself. (all unreal extensions) so it to know what to do with it.