MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta1

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta1

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 am I would be more happy if you can tell us what can be used for compressing, definitely UCC doesn't work here, just loads CPU and nothing is being written for hours...
Is it worth spending time trying to compress the WIP beta of the single player version of this map when it is going to be modified and when there will be another version for multiple players?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

If you want test it on public server - yes.
-------
~68 MB of map is 11 Models.
scr_1594889127.png
scr_1594889127.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 491 times
I think you need get rid of its and all will be good.

Or reduce detalization for it.
------
Hmmm. I don't know how author build map, because I am rebuild map (with v469 Editor, but I think it is not matter) and get 10 MB instead of 70 MB.
I do compress on it and it ended within 12 seconds:

Code: Select all

X:\UT\System>ucc compress ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr
=======================================
ucc.exe: UnrealOS execution environment
Copyright 1999 Epic Games Inc
=======================================

Executing Class IpDrv.CompressCommandlet
Compressing ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr (11179086 bytes)
stage 0: 0.500443 secs
stage 1: 10.639459 secs
stage 2: 0.653304 secs
stage 3: 0.727675 secs
Total: 12.520880 secs
Compressed ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr -> ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr.uz (28%)
I think author tired wait long rebuild each time so disable all optimization. And build final build without it.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

TexasGtar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 amI changed the doors to trigger open timed, and connected both doors.
I guess it is a door with two parts? If you want to do it perfectly, add an unique string to both mover's "ReturnGroup" (if not set ME_CrushWhenEncroach). If a player blocks one half and that part returns, the other half returns also.
Buggie wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:11 amI don't know how author build map, because I am rebuild map (with v469 Editor, but I think it is not matter) and get 10 MB instead of 70 MB.
With 436 Editor the size stays at ~ 70MiB and compressing takes at least 10 min or more (I cancelled it).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

UCC v436 on original author map:

Code: Select all

X:\UT\System>ucc compress ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr
Compressing ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr (72873863 bytes)
stage 0: 3.328132 secs
stage 1: 8360.543100 secs
stage 2: 0.751458 secs
stage 3: 1.687367 secs
Total: 8366.309570 secs
Compressed ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr -> ..\Maps\MH-EscapeFromNaZaliBeta2.unr.uz (6%)
-----
Hmm. Really 70 MB at v436 UnrealEd. I thought is is same as v469.

Look like something need to be optimized.
I don't know what is that "Model" in package file and what is that is originally in UEd.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:11 am Hmmm. I don't know how author build map, because I am rebuild map (with v469 Editor, but I think it is not matter) and get 10 MB instead of 70 MB.

I think author tired wait long rebuild each time so disable all optimization. And build final build without it.
I rebuilt the map with the UEd 2.1 Standalone version, optimizing as much as I could, and that didn't reduce the overall size.
TexasGtar wrote: About the flies...lol Establish your safe room!!!! Then they are a piece of cake. See spoiler I wrote earlier on hints to finish map in 1 try.
I tried all that, starting the map three times with 100 health and no regenerators - twice I got killed by a Skaarj with the flak cannon before the cell bars actually opened so I couldn't go anywhere. On neither occasion was it worth trying much else as there were too many flies and I got killed before I could get to one of the side rooms. How well one can do what you suggest is going to depend where exactly one spawns - close to a side room or in the middle of the cell block - in the latter case one has little chance before there are too many flies.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

In UEd I see two big cube look like test area. One with boat, second is empty. Maybe need remove it?
------
If I remove all Mover (41) and rebuild + save - I get 10 MB at v436 UEd.

Look like some movers bloat package.
-----
I remove jail gates/doors movers (10 total) and save map. Even without rebuild I got 11 MB.
After rebuild still same 11 MB.

Also this movers not look like not one solid mover.

I think it is cause of big size, because UEd use not simple Brush but hard Model for it. Just my crazy assumption.

So you need remake its properly and all must be fine.
------
Comment from Higor:
The mapper really needs to tone down the usage of dynamic lights, even going as far as lowering lightmap detail to prevent drastic performance drop.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Okay good morning everyone.

Here is the dependancy tool page. I don't see any "missing" files. Am I doing it right?

I would love to shrink this filesize. I have 2 maps that are way more complicated and so I was wondering why this one was so big.
Any way to find out what those models are?

Also do you think the cell door movers are causing file size bloat? I guess I can remake them in a less complicated way.
And yes the 2 big empty rooms are builder rooms that I can delete for final release.
Attachments
unrealdependancies.jpg
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

TexasGtar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pmAlso do you think the cell door movers are causing file size bloat?
I am not think. I am drop it and file now around 11 MB. So it is definitely the cell doors.
-----
Hmmm. i don't know how this tool work, but look like it is work with your UT install because Ambient.uax not in default files.
So you need clean UT install, copy map here and run this tool, because run it on your UT look like pointless.

Or maybe need tune settings of this tool. I do not even run it. You better talk with Barbie about that.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pm
Here is the dependancy tool page. I don't see any "missing" files. Am I doing it right?
I think you need to look at the filtered files tab and ensure that the filter is set to the default UT files - that way it will indicate the non default packages which is what you want.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't know if packages are a rocket science. Usually I'm looking at what is loaded in Editor (except builders). There can be figured all devs and even from log when they unload at garbage collector. Files which are stock have the same time-stamp, newer files clearly are not stock - I never had in my head all stock files, it's more simple to figure their date and time. This way never fails. Here I warmly recommend you a good file explorer not what Windoze had, as icons, that's USELESS for a computer user. True users want to see files details not icons and all sort of colors with zero information.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Windows Explorer has table view for this purpose.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

I have been unable to find a list of the stock sound files. Does anyone know about these packages and if they are a stock sound package?
AmbAncient.uax - I think this is.
Ambient.uax - I do NOT think this is. I'll try to find sounds in map and use a stock package sound so this can be removed from beta3 zip.
AmbModern.uax - I think this is.
DoorsAnc.uax - I think this is.

I am still rebuilding cell area without the doors. You were so right about the cell bar movers causing about 60 MB's of waste. Map is down near 10MB's now. I don't know how you guys figured that out but thanks a lot! That was definitely why the map file size was ridiculous. As soon as I find out bout the sound packages and get the rebuilding done I can upload the new and way improved file size version.
There is a hidden texture from a non stock package I will just have to include. I can not find where it is since it is on a hidden surface. I'll just have to add that package if I can't find it. anc4.utx it is 2595 kb's so not too bad. Is there any way to find a texture on a hidden surface???? If I can find it (I'll keep looking) I can eliminate that package from zip.
Right now in beta3 zip I will have dependancies as follows:
mapfile
readme
(EDIT: REMOVING Ambient.uax see post below)
anc4.utx
MonsterHunt.int
MonsterHunt.u
Last edited by TexasGtar on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:36 am I have been unable to find a list of the stock sound files. Does anyone know about these packages and if they are a stock sound package?
Ambient.uax - I do NOT think this is. I'll try to find sounds in map and use a stock package sound so this can be removed from beta3 zip.
All of that is correct - of those, Ambient.uax is not a default/stock sound package.

I don't think it is necessary to remove non-default 'stuff' from the map - rather it is necessary to ensure that it is included in the download package.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:26 am
TexasGtar wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:36 am I have been unable to find a list of the stock sound files. Does anyone know about these packages and if they are a stock sound package?
All of that is correct - of those, Ambient.uax is not a default/stock sound package.

I don't think it is necessary to remove non-default 'stuff' from the map - rather it is necessary to ensure that it is included in the download package.
Right on. Thanks again. You have been my big helper tonight!
I understand that, but my point of view is that someone made the non stock packages and without their permission I really would rather not use it if I can find a stock sound equivalent.
I was just dumb to not know which packages were stock. Like that anc4 texture package, that is so familiar to my brain when I look at the textures but it is not stock so I can't trust my brain on
how much I "think" that package is an original. Plus it's been a while since I opened up the editor. Lots of things to re-remember.

Update : I found all the Ambient.uax sounds and replaced them with stock sounds so map has none of those anymore.

I give up on finding the anc4 textures hidden in map. As soon as I reconfigure the cell doors I'll upload new beta.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

TexasGtar wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:36 amI don't know how you guys figured that out
Very simple: binary search.
First select all the geometry (Brush, Movers, ...), hide them.
Then select all that is left (Actors) and delete them.
Rebuild the map and save it.
If the problem is in Actors, the size will decrease.
If the problem is level geometry - no.

I originally thought the problem was with Decorations. But it turned out that deleting Actors does not reduce the size.

Then we take the original map again and delete something else.
In this case, I tried Movers. It helped.

I started looking at Movers for complex geometry.
Although here you can also search with a binary search: remove half of the Movers to understand which half is the problem.
Therefore, in this half, remove half again. And so on.

Google what binary search is.
TexasGtar wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 amfinding the anc4 textures hidden in map
Tools - replace texture. And replace each texture to some other which you can easy notice.
Lava texture for example.

Now fly on map and you see.
Brushes near final button.
And bottom walls around 3 towers in water.

Maybe something other too.