UTDMSB? UTDMS??

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

UTDMSB? UTDMS??

Post by EvilGrins »

Guess what I found!

I was trying to figure out where the UTDM.u for the UTDMW came from, was using my google kung-fu to the maximum, when I finally found it... and then noticed there was a .uz for the UTDMskaarjberserker, whereupon I almost fainted.

Been toying around with it.

Details & Differences:
· Unlike the UTDMT & UTDMW it isn't default set to respawn, you have to enable its ability to do that and pick a timeframe for that.
· It has the same number of fields for TalkTexture messages (though it doesn't seem to have a TalkTexture) but they're all blank.
· It can pick up and use weapons, though other than the weapon-fire coming from it, the actual weapon isn't visible; not sure if that's optional yet.
· Both the UTDMT & UTDMW have 4,000+ default health, this UTDMS only has a standard 320... unless whoever maps it chooses to alter that.
· When fighting another of its kind, similar to the UTDMT, their projectiles don't hurt each other... but unlike the UTDMT those can be configured.
· It's the same size as a standard SkaarjBerserker, which increases possible mapping options as it can enter bases but likely not go through all doors.

Don't worry about it being so red, I skinned that one.

Configuring its speech each time is going to be annoying as all Hell... probably gonna need to make a default .txt file for copying & pasting.

Given both the UTDMW & UTDMT can pick-up flags, I suspect this can too... but I don't know for sure yet.
Attachments
UTDMskaarjberserker.zip
(17.3 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Shot0092.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: UTDMSB? UTDMS??

Post by OjitroC »

Looks to be based on the UTDM Titan code.

Not relevant to this but, since it came from the redirect you posted in the Obscure UT sites thread, did you check out SkaarjPet and Tails on that site?
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

Huh... very interesting. I've seen UTDMW's and UTDMT's, but not UTDMS's.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Koolflux wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:18 amHuh... very interesting. I've seen UTDMW's and UTDMT's, but not UTDMS's.
Soon as I get a handle on this, you'll be seeing a lot of them in the near future.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 pmNot relevant to this but, since it came from the redirect you posted in the Obscure UT sites thread, did you check out SkaarjPet and Tails on that site?
Not so far, no. At the moment I only really checked this out, plus a bunch of other UTDM files which, sadly, were not more team monsters.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 pmLooks to be based on the UTDM Titan code.
Similar, but different. It's closer to the Warlord's setup.

Titan has "dance move" messages, that neither the Warlord or Skaarj have.
Attachments
zUTDM.png
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If they still call a null state messages have no purpose.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:43 pmIf they still call a null state messages have no purpose.
Initial mapping with it, I'm debating whether or not messages are necessary. After all this time I'm basically fluent in Skaarjese.

Edits I'm doing now I can add messages to them later if I choose to, though I'm gonna put out a map just so folks can check them out before then.

Their default Draw Scale is 1.2, so without alteration they're already larger than normal Skaarj Berserkers. Their projectiles are customizable, like the Warlords, and their respawn rate is default set to 0... so they literally respawn at the exact same moment they die. All of which is customizable, but it's interesting watching them and learning them as I go.
Attachments
Shot0101.png
Shot0081.png
Shot0074.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:17 pm Their default Draw Scale is 1.2, so without alteration they're already larger than normal Skaarj Berserkers.
A pedantic note from me - the default DrawScale of the UnrealI Skaarj Berserker is 1.2 so their height is actually the same.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:59 pmdefault DrawScale of the UnrealI Skaarj Berserker is 1.2 so their height is actually the same.
:ironic:
Oh... well, oops.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

After 20 years, it should be expected for every type of Skaarj (and even those monsters who didn't made up the cut for Unreal or RTNP) to have an UTDM equivalent.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:13 pm After 20 years, it should be expected for every type of Skaarj (and even those monsters who didn't made up the cut for Unreal or RTNP) to have an UTDM equivalent.
I mostly want the big ones... so other than the existing 3 that leaves the Queen and the SkaarjOfficer.

Personally, I don't think anyone is ready to handle the UTDMNR (Deathmatch Nali Rabit).
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:41 pm
Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:13 pm After 20 years, it should be expected for every type of Skaarj (and even those monsters who didn't made up the cut for Unreal or RTNP) to have an UTDM equivalent.
I mostly want the big ones... so other than the existing 3 that leaves the Queen and the SkaarjOfficer.

Personally, I don't think anyone is ready to handle the UTDMNR (Deathmatch Nali Rabit).
We should all know that the UTDMNR is the Doom Slayer's avatar in the Unrealverse. He's too busy slaying demons in his homeworld so he sends something else in his stead.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

What does "enable triggering" mean?
Attachments
zutClip0001.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:04 am What does "enable triggering" mean?
From the code
var() bool bEnableTriggering;
/ If true, then when we are triggered we will try to say one of our TriggerMsgs.
There are a lot of comments in the code so it might be an idea just to read through it all, particularly the comments on the var bool.

Mind you, since the UTDMSkaarjBerserker code is based on and includes the code for the Titan (which itself is drawn from somewhere else - the Titan in Titania?), I'm not sure how relevant to, or useable by, the SB it is as it relates to the opening of a trap
// ***
// I wrote this function to represent what he does when the trap is opened:
// Tries to talk people into coming down.
// ***
function Trigger( actor Other, pawn EventInstigator )
{
local String instigatorName;

if(!bEnableTriggering)
return;

//Log("DMT Triggered by a " $ String(EventInstigator));
instigatorName = EventInstigator.PlayerReplicationInfo.PlayerName;
if(0 == Len(instigatorName))
{
//Log("DMT: Trigger instigator has no name.");
return;
}

SayWithString(TriggerMsgs[Rand(ArrayCount(TriggerMsgs))], instigatorName);
}
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I've read another stuff from this Pawn:

Code: Select all

//*** Mega important stuff:
	// This is what puts him in the Deathmatch scores list, and allows him to win.
	// Pawn.PreBeginPlay sets up the PlayerReplicationInfoClass for this object if
	// bIsPlayer is true, so we need to be sure to set it BEFORE calling
	// the super.PreBeginPlay().
	bIsPlayer = true;
	Super.PreBeginPlay();
It's a flying fart. These would be more simple like that out of blabbering:

Code: Select all

defaultproperties
{
	bIsPlayer=True
}
This is not a big deal - it's more like a "great" radio singing at a deaf grandma... he can be player by default without any problem - all that story is useless.

Of course, do not imagine that something was fixed here - it's a UTDMT thing in big parts - the same Accessed Nones for the same accessed dreams.
By looking at codes and those caps from comment I think these are better CAPS: think BEFORE releasing another UT Trash.

"enable triggering" is SELF EXPLANATORY - but first, we need to understand Triggering in UE1 and what exactly does that means.
For the moment the Pawn can be captivated with something like a trigger or saying its name according to messaging system - at least UTDMT is rejecting orders and all that stuff using various replies. Probably Skaarj does the same but... configurable for YES or NOT using triggering systems whatever.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:47 pm For the moment the Pawn can be captivated with something like a trigger or saying its name according to messaging system - at least UTDMT is rejecting orders and all that stuff using various replies. Probably Skaarj does the same but... configurable for YES or NOT using triggering systems whatever.
Yes, as noted above, the Skaarj does the same - when triggered it will say a 'TriggerMsg', though whether going to the trouble of setting that up is worthwhile is a moot point given that it says enough already (but only in the chatbox) and, of course, spams the log with multiple but inaccurate kill messages.