Localized Voices Pack

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Acoma
Average

Localized Voices Pack

Post by Acoma »

So Unreal Tournament is localized for Estonia Spain (and Mexico), Italy, and France, which are all latin speaking countries and these sound files are taken off of the installation CD of the game and then repackaged into your system folder depending on what your choice was.

Unfortunately since all three languages are latin whoever did the scouting for the voices decided it would be easier to get one voice actor for female and male voices and have them read the lines slightly different. In other words; all three localizations have the same sounds and the only differences are the text that go along with them. This was actually a good thing for me since the process of extracting the sounds was painful as unrealed extracts sounds based on the sound name and not the file location. Trying to extract the sounds from their original uax package while using the english localization results in only getting english sound files being extracted from botpack.u . My lazy workaround for this problem was using OldUnreal's UnrealEd 2.1 since the original game doesn't contain a botpack and therefore wouldn't extract from the wrong directory based on file names. Even with the properly extracted sounds the editor will still try to use the files from botpack.u instead of the ones in your custom uax. So then i had to rename every sound to something unique. THANKFULLY this process was made incredibly easy by the wonderful Windows Store app brilliantly named 'File Renamer'. I highly recommend this program to anyone that owns Windows 10. After that it was a simple process of importing them into new uax files and then lazily editing voice scripts.

So like I said the three localizations for the game pretty much have the same sound files for all three languages except each of them are missing one or two sounds that the other ones contain and all three of the localizations are missing around two to three quotes that the english localization DOES have. For these missing sounds I used existing sound files that made sense (e.g. missing 'base uncovered' sound is replaced with 'incoming!')

None of the text has been transferred. All of the voices display english text during gameplay. Only the audio has been swapped which might actually end up being a good thing since i suspect anyone who actually speaks these languages would find these voices off-putting and would have just installed the english version since most mods are created in english anyways. Not to mention pretty much everyone online speaks english now anyways :roll:

All in all these voices are not amazing but are just a novelty for anyone who wants to have a complete collection of Unreal Tournament junk.

My interpretation of the spanish voices are as such:

The Boss voice seems like some cringy sunday morning super hero and nothing at all like a murdering robot.

The female voices are pretty average sounding and between the female one and two they both sound identical but with a lower pitch in female two

The male voices are alright but i suspect the annunciation is off, also for some reason the male two voice sounds less masculine than the male one voice

well anyways here you go, make sure you download it and upload it somewhere else because i guarantee no one else is going to go through the giant pain in the ass of extracting these :help:

EDIT: the original pack only contained the spanish voices because im an idiot! the second version contains all fifteen voice patches in a neat .u .int combo thanks to help from OjitroC!

EDIT2: Metagalaxian of the UnrealArchive.org has uploaded a package of unofficial russian voicepacks to the archive HERE
Attachments
UT99 Localized Voice Pack v2.zip
(7.68 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by Acoma on Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Localized Voices Pack

Post by OjitroC »

Looks like you put a lot of work into this, so I hope what I say below doesn't come over as too negative (it's intended to be helpful and based on my experience of making VPs).

Just tried female1_fr.u and the sounds in that are Spanish. The male1_fr.u is also Spanish.

Should there be files for all three languages as there are only 'French' sounds in the zip?
Acoma wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:22 am So Unreal Tournament is localized for Estonia, Italy, and France,
On a pedantic note, EST is actually Spanish, so not Estonia but Spain.
Acoma wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:22 am Trying to extract the sounds from their original uax package while using the english localization results in only getting english sound files being extracted from botpack.u .
It's been a while now since I've extracted sounds from the localised voice .aux files but I think my workaround was to comment out botpack.u from the EditPackages under [Editor.EditorEngine] so the default sounds didn't appear.

To avoid further problems, a couple of recommendations - I wouldn't use Ued to exract sounds (I use UTPT) and I certainly wouldn't give extracted .wav sounds the same name as default sounds (the localised sounds don't need to have the same names, they just need to be in the right place in the .u file). Plus you don't need to extract the sounds from the original .aux and import them into a new .aux - you can extract them as .wav and import them straight into the .u voice pack file.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Agreed, in fact Estonian localization files should be codified as .ett following the ISO 639-1 standard that UT uses. The .est files belong to the spanish language which in the aforementioned standard have .est as their extension.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Acoma wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:22 am Unfortunately since all three languages are latin whoever did the scouting for the voices decided it would be easier to get one voice actor for female and male voices and have them read the lines slightly different. In other words; all three localizations have the same sounds and the only differences are the text that go along with them.
Are you sure the Italian and Spanish Female1 voice actors are the same as they sound quite different to me (try 'squeel' or 'slaughter' from the respective .aux files)? Not quite sure what you mean by the "same sounds" there - certainly the localisation for 'squeel' is very different?

Just to note that there are Hungarian and Polish female voice versions of Female1 and Female2. There is also some localisation for Estonian but, AFAIK, it doesn't include voices/sounds.
Acoma
Average

Post by Acoma »

Oh jesus you're right, since i loaded all the uax files at the same time the editor extracted sounds from only one source

EDIT: the voice pack has been fixed and the OP was updated
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Actually like to give some bots a bit of international flavour :P

Gonna try it when I can.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Spanish localization is one of those cases where the devs tried to go the Woolseyism route and instead ended up going the Macekre. And considering how they awfully botched some of the translation lines (bossskins.est is pure Word clutter!), in some cases even the Blind Idiot Translation route.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.