Reactive Decorations by <lol>BK (bobkakabk)

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Reactive Decorations by <lol>BK (bobkakabk)

Post by JackGriffin »

Paper, I isolated the code for you into something you can use:

Code: Select all

/* This is a destroyable mover. To use just create your mover brush and make it a BoomBoomMover. 
Once it is placed it you can set a property in it called 'DamageThreshold'. Because bDamageTriggered is
set to TRUE it will cycle when it gets enough damage. However, this mover doesn't move. Instead it destroys in
a shower of fragments which carry the texture of the original mover. To make a larger effect raise the
ExplosionDimension setting.

Created by Titled, I just added some explanations and comments but no code alterations -gopo
*/

class BoomBoomMover extends Mover;

var() Texture WallTexture;
var() int ExplosionDimensions;
var() int DamScale;

function TakeDamage (int Damage, Pawn instigatedBy, Vector HitLocation, Vector Momentum, name DamageType)
{
  	local WallFragments S;

DamageThreshold -= Damage;
  	if ( DamageThreshold < 0 )
  	{
    	self.Trigger(self,instigatedBy);
  	}
  	if ( Damage > DamScale * FRand() )
  	{
  		// This will spawn fragments carrying the texture of the original boommover
    	S = Spawn(Class'WallFragments',,,HitLocation + ExplosionDimensions * VRand());
    	if ( S != None )
    	{
      	S.CalcVelocity(vect(0.00,0.00,0.00),128.0);
      	S.DrawScale = 1.0;
      	S.Skin = WallTexture;
    	}
    	// Remove this section if you use this, it serves no purpose
    	if ( (instigatedBy.PlayerReplicationInfo != None) && (FRand() > 0.89999998) )
    	{
      	TeamGamePlus(Level.Game).Teams[instigatedBy.PlayerReplicationInfo.Team].Score += 1;
      	instigatedBy.PlayerReplicationInfo.Score += 1;
    	}
    	// End remove
  	}
}

defaultproperties
{
   MoverGlideType=0
   MoveTime=0.00
   bTriggerOnceOnly=True
   bDamageTriggered=True
   InitialState=TriggerOpenTimed
   DamScale=0
   ExplosionDimensions=250
}
However if this is a project you want to try paper I'd be happy to do the code end of things if you want help. BoomBoomMover is a good start but it needs a bit more in the effects department. A little dust, some chips flying away, good sounds added, stuff like that. Just a little more work on this and you could have a seriously good environment add-on.

Let me know if you want help. I'd get all over this if you were going to do the map end of it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

This Idea is really inspiring ... So what would you need from my side and how can I use this new mover?

I would have to prefabricate the Building and afterwards slice it into smaller parts to convert mover out of every bit.
I'm thinking out loud... better Ideas are welcome.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

i'm definitely interested in this... i have to do a map end objective this "destroying" stuff would be perfect for!!! if it works out will you guys share?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

paper what you might consider doing is creating a regular BSP "frame" with destroyable walls inside (think of a picture frame). That way nothing ever gets left hanging in the air. It will also make duplicating and placing the destroyable walls easier. Let's cobble something together to test out online. Why don't you make a cubic house and we can make the front door, windows, walls, and ceiling out of destroyables. Don't be all fancy, just go cubic and make the frame out of regular BSP and then I'll import the mover for you to use to flesh out the rest. Once we build the house we can duplicate it into a neighborhood and make a full map of it. Hell we can even put furniture and shit inside that can be trashed.

Did I explain well enough? I'm bad for not doing that. @FnB: Who am I? Do I ever not share? :mrgreen:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I think sharing is obviously self-evident.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

MH-Salmagundi by gopostal ;)
http://unreal-mayhem.com/files/index.ph ... ort_mode=d
http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... ap&id=1157

Ferali, you missed the point of the workaround :D
I didn't say anything about putting the functions into UT, as that is beyond anything we can do.
But if there are no bits that will break Unreal, play it in Unreal.
It works for me. I play whichever maps in the engine that I require. Both games and editors can see each-others folders (but not including **/system).
I play Unreal SP maps in UT so I can use NW3, and UT maps in Unreal so I can enjoy the superior audio and lighting.

That's why no one will like it, you need to have both and treat them as 1.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:paper what you might consider doing is creating a regular BSP "frame" with destroyable walls inside (think of a picture frame). That way nothing ever gets left hanging in the air. It will also make duplicating and placing the destroyable walls easier. Let's cobble something together to test out online. Why don't you make a cubic house and we can make the front door, windows, walls, and ceiling out of destroyables. Don't be all fancy, just go cubic and make the frame out of regular BSP and then I'll import the mover for you to use to flesh out the rest. Once we build the house we can duplicate it into a neighborhood and make a full map of it. Hell we can even put furniture and shit inside that can be trashed.

Did I explain well enough? I'm bad for not doing that. @FnB: Who am I? Do I ever not share? :mrgreen:
Ok the girder frame is nearly done ... I add the walls as a mover... right?
I will left the windows and door aside for now ...I want to concentrate on the walls so that they may break somehow plausible. One wall out of three parts.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Do me a favor and just make a wall brush and I'll make you a destructible and add it in. Once you have one embedded into the map you can then duplicate and create all you want.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Re: append to this

Post by Wises »

somewhere in the above posts I think someone mentioned ice and water..

what about the ability to turn parts of water into 'walkable ice'.. using a pulse like weapon players could make a path through liquid area's.. other players can destroy these paths.. etc.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Nali Weapons 3 already has ice ammo you can make a path with. (very useful in that large Paris sniper map)

This topic has wandered off course a little, but as the point of the topic was to make people think more about the potentials of reactive scenery and items, so it is working.

Don't forget there is more than blowing things up (as fun as it is), as decorations are spawnable and teleportable.
Think about adding dynamic content, that is the result of your actions (not just push a switch and open a door).
People are more used to adding monsters and weapons dynamically.

Imagine that giant tomato decoration.
In it's large form it could be deadly if it crushed you, but if you destroy it could spawn the smaller tomato slices, which can be turned into heath pickups. Maybe you could then use a flame-thrower and the slices turn into a deadly area of hot sauce.

I am somewhat inspired by Loathsomes "BadNews" and "Dropper" mods as a way of creating a chain of monster events, but thought we need think about other interactive spawnable items that did not try and kill you.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:Do me a favor and just make a wall brush and I'll make you a destructible and add it in. Once you have one embedded into the map you can then duplicate and create all you want.
Ok ...But I will make three walls for this test map, one will have a Door (only the hole) another will have a window (without glass) and the last will be plain ...with this set can I make a whole building.
Tomorrow will I finish this and send you the Test map.
There is one builder room only for the construction parts (the frame and the Walls) and one Presenter Room. with enough space for three finished Buildings.

The hole thing can be used like lego-bricks ...I'm very excited.
But we should open an Own thread for this project.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Want to move this to FF ? It's not like I want it to be hidden but quick back-and-forth would benefit this. Once I get you up and running and we demo this I think it will find some wide acceptance. I was pondering on this earlier and I think I'm going to rewrite the BoomMover, crediting Titled but greatly extending the idea. It needs to be a parent class of about 5 different destroyable movers, each serving a different purpose. For instance you might want a mover that cycles THEN destroys like a glass statue falling over and then shattering. The container class needs places for sound effects, some extra minor effects like smoke and dust, stuff like that.

I really want to test this online first though as a rough idea then see what it plays like. The only bad drawback I see is the issue of movers not taking light properly. Mappers will need to be careful with this or it will lead to a lot of black areas.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Dr.Flay wrote:I am somewhat inspired by Loathsomes "BadNews" and "Dropper" mods as a way of creating a chain of monster events, but thought we need think about other interactive spawnable items that did not try and kill you.
I think you should be able to configure an ini file for the Dropper mutator to have players and/or monsters dropping these new classes.
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

One last question here in Public then I will open a new thread in the FF section for this project:

Can this special mover afterwards be vertex edited?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

aw, if you move the topic to FF i can't follow your progress :(
- unless FF is public too? well, when you have a test map can i try it out?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***