Reactive Decorations by <lol>BK (bobkakabk)

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Reactive Decorations by <lol>BK (bobkakabk)

Post by Dr.Flay »

Simple Reactive Decorations by <lol>BK (bobkakabk) - Movable/shootable items + guide to making your own.

This is an area of UT mapping that gets ignored, so I thought I would give you some "food for thought", with a pack of "bits-and-bobs" (or even Bobs bits).
So grab a knife and fork, and tuck-in... errr.. can someone give Grins a spoon...before...
*sigh*... Grins, using tomatoes for bowling-balls is not what I had in mind :wth:
ReactiveDecos.jpg
Reactive Decorations by "bobkakabk"
Distro and docs by Dr.Flay - 24/05/2013

These shootable/movable decorations are made for the U1 Unreal engine.
All of the source material is included, so you can build your own variations.
Most of them include the pre-built versions from Bobs <lol> Clan maps,
(see the file "bobkakabk.txt" for info) and are marked with an asterisk *

In this pack are;
BKDice *
Icecube *
BowlingPin
lolBowlingPin * <lol> Clan version
Cucumber *
Lettuce
PopcornA *
Tomato *
TomatoSlice *

I have also included the original guide that Bob used to start making Reactive Decorations.
If you want to try some maps that already use these, then read the file "bobkakabk.txt"

Inspired by the fun I had in Bobs maps, I decided the community could do with a family-size pack of food and fun.
Bob has graciously given me permission to package and host, so don't be greedy, go spread the food around.

DISCLAIMER
No artificial sweeteners or flavours in this pack.
No lumps of fat or gristle guaranteed.
Soya, wheat and dairy free.
100% Vegan friendly
Contains no extra water or animal proteins.

Contains no more than 3.33% Residual isotopes and small bits of internet-cat allowable by international law.
WARNING: Choking hazard
...some nuts made this product, and may induce laughter.

Please recycle the RAR or 7zip wrapper responsibly.

If you need a refill then visit https://yourunreal.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... resources/
BK-ReactiveDecorations-U1.7z
BK Reactive Decorations
(446.58 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: Reactive Decorations by <lol>BK (bobkakabk)

Post by Metalfist »

Now I'm imagining this in combination with FoodFight hehe :P
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ths projectiles of the Salad-thrower looks nearly similar... :mrgreen:
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Indeed. I've been rumbled (or was that my belly?)
Inspiration and practice with a few quick and easy toys, to get people used to the idea of chucking food around.

Papercoffee reminds me that you can also use decorations as ammo/projectiles, so feel free to go mad.

Think of this as a taster of what is to come. An aperitif before the main event.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This can be done easier, let me show you how. First, you know the dud redeemer effect I had in the ridiculousdeemer mod? I posted the vid in the Nyan cat thread. OK tuck that into memory and watch the video again. You'll see several effects where ridiculous projectiles hit walls and things drop and fall. The rock seems to bounce off, the world spawns a dirt pile that falls, stuff like that. Well that's easy to do.

Mappers can use woodenbox for all kinds of neat effects. It's destroyable and you can replace the wood fragments with any class you want. You need a glass statue that shatters? Place a wooden box, change it's display mesh to the nali statue and skin it out in something glassy. In it's code you will find something like this:

Frag(Class'WoodFragments',Momentum,FragSize,FragChunks);

Just replace the frag class with something chunky and glassy, even if you have to make a couple of simple meshes. After that, alter the destroyed sound and you have a glass statue that can be destroyed in a shower of glass chunks and sounds like a sack of lightbulbs getting smashed.

The trick here is to subclass woodfragment, change it's mesh to your glass chunks. That way it behaves right. It will drop to the floor, bounce if it's high enough, and it doesn't have a huge overhead in rendering. In fact the smashed parts will delete themselves quickly, cleaning everything up nicely. I use woodfragment all over the place because it's a simple yet really good effect.

If you want help with this just let me know and I'll walk you through how to make something. It's really very simple once you do one thing and it makes stuff in your maps that you won't believe was that easy to do.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

It's nothing I really want to have but I got an really silly Idea ...
You take a Dice mesh (can be a colorful one) and replace the wooden box with it and the chunks will replaced with many smaller dices of all colors.

If you shoot the dice will it explode in smaller rainbow colored dices ...in my mind is this a pretty great and crazy effect. :ironic:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'll make that for you today and post it to this thread. It would make a good example of what I was trying to show here.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Additional a little video, so everyone can see how it will look like... :tu:

As I did describe something similar in another thread ...I used the Book mesh and its physics to animate a little Nali statue so that it will behave like a little golden treasure piece ...The Book/Nali-statue is placed in my X-mass map MorpheusPeak.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Actually Jack, your video was in my mind while I wrote that last post :D
It did remind me that essentially you can use any actor for anything.
The ridiculous-redeemer would work nicely with that crazy "Living Decos" mutator.
Living3.7z
Living Decos v3,5
(29.49 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
...Oh,...I just had a premonition of Grins' screenshots :omfg:
BTW. the Stinger looks awesome as ammo :rock:

Well, OK I can see people having fun making a hot-sticky popcorn gun, but I hope to see more movable items for people to crush each-other or hide behind.

I like Papers' idea of the dice splitting into smaller dice. I tend to have certain decos drop a pickup when destroyed.
Maybe the coloured dice could indicate what ....
Oh hell yeah! they are dice after-all. A game of chance!
They should contain good and bad things. They could even be a new type of relic, and/or weapon.
If you know a dice contains something deadly, throw it at the enemy (or place like a mine). Shoot at it to release the prize (just like sniping the ammo with the volatile-ammo mutator).
You could release a flock of Loathsomes angry-birds or a swarm of zombies, right in the middle of the enemy.

That reminds me, some may remember ye olde bird-launcher for Unreal. We have better bird-ammo now ! :wink:
(Though in that style, I always wanted to have an egg-launcher. Firing Maidens and Spinners into an area you want flushed out seems like it would be effective :satan: )

:!: Back to topic, obviously the tomato should split into slices. and the Ice-cube shatter into smaller ones.
dropping an ice-cube in water could even summon the iceberg-effect in NW3.
You could have a shattered ice-cube create an area of damaging cold until melted.

I'm thinking about retro-fitting the old DM-(AMLP)APizzaShop with reactive Food, soft-drinks, pizza boxes and sheets of news-paper to hide under. Possibly I may add a giant rat and cockroaches somewhere :satan:
If I stick to decos, and sort some basic pathing I should be able to test it fairly quickly, though getting the right mass for the items is going to annoy me.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

As promised here are a couple of downloads. First is this test map:
islandTestMap.zip
(894.59 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
This is Higor's island test map repurposed with some added actors you might be interested in stealing for your projects. Scattered around the island are behemoths that are skinny but very aggressive. As you shoot them they swell larger and larger until they explode in a huge shower of gibs, blood, and green goo (that tries to kill you btw). The code for all that is simple and included.
Also around the island are large white dice. Shoot them a few times and they will erupt into a shower of wooden boxes. I made some simple textures if you wanted to finish this up and create the multi-colored dice. Those are in the source code for the DestroyableDice mod included in the previous map. That source is here:
DestroyableDice.zip
(41.68 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Looking at these effects you can start to see that it's not too tough to create reactive environment. I was watching my son play BF Bad Company 2 and it was possible to completely level the map if you had enough bombs, and that's the sort of thing that UT maps need.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Hm....... Ok this Idea is now totally insane ...A building?
Imagine a Building made of bsp (solid iron girder) and meshes where the Meshes would be the destructible parts of the building.

Ok there was a limit of how many meshes you can use in your map, wasn't it?
I have to reread this.
And the collision hull can only be cylindrical. hm... hm...

Damn it ...if UT would be open source we would have now a game what could compete with newer games. :x
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

I've been banging-on about interactive maps for ages, and yeah we have a problem with collision cylinders :(
And sometimes a model gets built with the centre-point on the floor, or offset so you have even bigger problems :mad2:

If they are pickups or destroyed on the spot, you can sometimes rotate them back into the collision cylinder.
..Oh yeah, I suppose I better mention this for those who don't know.

:mad2: Annoying fact No.3
Collision-cylinders do not rotate or pivot :omfg:

Due to this, window decorations are a problem. It is better to use multiple sheets than 1 big one, when trying to fill a large area.
It is more fiddly, but the result is more satisfying, as you shoot away sections at a time.
Even with the classic, trigger and breaking wall effect, people often just do 1 big one.

:mrgreen: There is a workaround ! but you are not going to like it....
Spoiler
Unreal 227i (UEd2.1) has mesh collision detection
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Dr.Flay wrote: :mrgreen: There is a workaround ! but you are not going to like it....
Spoiler
Unreal 227i (UEd2.1) has mesh collision detection
We would be able to like it, if it actually worked in UT, which it doesn't, making it useless for us.
That's only useful for Unreal alone, and even if it was ported to UT somehow, an installer for the extra dll files would be needed for servers, a ton of testing as well (specially online).
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

If you look in MH-Salmagundi where the entrance to the catacombs is, there's a wall you have to bust to gain entrance. This isn't just a destroyable wall, this is a special mover called a "BoomBoomMover". It was created by Titled for Alucard to use in his Robot Factory map. From the code header:
//=============================================================================
// BoomBoomMover.
// A mover that has a damage buildup instead of the damage having to be done at once
// Coded by titled for TMH-Robotfactory, Use as you please
// As long as credit is given where it is due
//=============================================================================
It creates nice chunkies when you bust it down and it has the benefit of having mover's brush collision. I'm not sure about having 200+ mover subclasses in a destroyable map but if it can be done then this is the way to go about testing it. My guess is it would do just fine because the BoomBoomMovers never "move". The only obvious problem I can see is lighting as the movers don't pick up on ambient light. It would have to be a bright, outdoorsy-type map like an urban assault or something. You aren't limited though in scope since any brush can be converted to a mover. You could make destroyable trees, walls, cars, statues, and no cylinder collision.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok... where can I get this map? Or the BoomBoomMovers itself?
I have an very old map what is more or less a training facility ...like those indoor shooting exercise ground with fake buildings.
I could remake this whole map with destroyable walls.

This could be a test how many of this special movers can be packed into a map