[u1][ut] The Fifth Vortex

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Teridax
Novice

[u1][ut] The Fifth Vortex

Post by Teridax »

Developer: Doublez-Down and Teridax

Screenshots:
Spoiler
Image Image
Synopsis: It is approximately 25 years since the events of Return to Na Pali. The Skaarj are much fewer in number, with only a few pockets here and there. The cause of their demise, while certainly contributed to by Prisoner 849, is still mostly unknown. Recently however, there has been a small but sudden spike in their population.
Since the events of Return to Na Pali, and the subsequent decline of Skaarj presence on the planet itself, Na Pali has become the target of smugglers and raiders looking to loot any remaining Nali ruins or temples. While the famous temples of Vandora and Velora, along with the chambers of Chizra, have all been desecrated, there are still many left. The Nali had many other gods and goddesses of worship, including “Ehactora”, the Nali Wind God.

Ehactora is believed to be the cause of “all movement in the universe” and is rumored to have spawned the likeness of Vandora (goddess of Lightning) and Chizra (Nali Water God). There is evidence of a sacred place of power and worship to Ehactora, known only as The Fifth Vortex. It is rumored that by rotating Ehactora’s huge sundials, The Fifth Vortex will be activated, unleashing an immense, powerful vortex which will allow instant movement to other sacred locations on the planet. Your mission is to make your way through Ehactora’s passage, explore his temple and collect any artifacts along the way to the massive ruins in which the sundials rest. Find a way to activate the sundials, thus unleashing the Fifth Vortex.

You are Lieutenant Lazurus Stevens, a former Marine officer on the UMS “Poseidon”. Your pilot and first mate, MSGT O’Neal has been your trusted friend since you both left the service. Since then, you both have joined the ranks of the many smugglers and traders. That said, you have no love for the Skaarj, and activating and controlling The Fifth Vortex should only help in further eliminating them.

While the Skaarj numbers are much fewer than they were during Prisoner 849’s romp across the planet, there are still areas of resistance, along with rogue Skaarj here and there. The planet is still inhabited by dangerous wildlife, and the Fifth Vortex itself has a particularly high concentration of life forms around it. The Nali still inhabit the planet, and have actually rebounded quite nicely with the Skaarj demise.

Features: An intro, 5 playable maps and an outro

Latest News: RELEASED

Download Link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/anfqs ... Vortex.zip
ModDB Link : http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal/addon ... fth-vortex
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: [u1][ut] The Fifth Vortex

Post by Feralidragon »

Looks interesting, nice job :gj: :tu:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Thanks for posting over here :D
I keep forgetting to post news of SP projects.
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept
Personal rank: It's a trap!

Post by VatcilliZeitchef »

What's this? A new SP campaign? Don't mind if I'm going to download it!
Now let's hope that for once, Oldskool isn't gonna be a jerk.
Image Kayako's useful Unreal editor Icon Database Image
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

VatcilliZeitchef wrote:What's this? A new SP campaign? Don't mind if I'm going to download it!
Now let's hope that for once, Oldskool isn't gonna be a jerk.
Did you try this?
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4872
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Ohoho, gonna run this on my custom SP mod, and a BotZ following me around.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Hmm, this is only for Unreal? Or does it work with UT99 too? I'm confused because I never played Unreal.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

UT should be able to run any U1 content, provided it doesn't use U227i-only features.
It could even run online on a server, provided the author gives permission.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Maybe the title of the Topic, says it is compatible with UT.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Higor wrote:UT should be able to run any U1 content, provided it doesn't use U227i-only features.
It could even run online on a server, provided the author gives permission.
Nice. :tu:

I also noticed that I do have Unreal Gold... never installed it yet. lol.
Teridax
Novice

Post by Teridax »

It doesn't use any 227 features, so it works in UT. There is one problem with the fifth map that is pretty bad for dedicated servers. After the floating boat ride, a teleporter is supposed to appear at the dock so co-op players can still get through the map. It works on a listen server, but it doesn't appear on dedicated servers. I didn't think to do any dedicated server testing until after the release.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I'll make a test-run today and try to replicate the issue.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Ummm...
Kinda necro but, I have a few things to say about this.
- I finished separating my custom coop game gamemode from my super old experiment U file (contains small things i made and kept for years) and will start betatesting it on the Development Server, with the MVLA14 prototype in a week or less.
- The gametype is derivated from unreal games and not UT ones so there may be bugs around, also the BaseMutator has been replaced with something completely different.
- The gamemode contains very specific hardcoded fixes to Unreal 1 and Unreal RTNP, might as well include one for the Ehactora 5 map, it contains a monstermaker that might increase monster count at map start or when player joins.
- Weapons may stay as Unreal, UT or combined chance (yep, both weapon styles at the same time) depending on config, and Unreal 1 weapons are the actual weapons, no OldSkool variants (researched with MrLoathsome).
- HUD will be weird.

Unreal maps have some anti-download protection and the RTNP Upak.u I ripped from my CD differs from one that's floating around the web, so, may I test this online with your Coop pack?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Yup ...kinda necro ...but interesting news.

I'm still for a remodel of the Dispersion Pistol... to a more fitting model ...something more in the style like the other Unreal weapons.
Teridax
Novice

Post by Teridax »

Sorry for the delayed response, Higor. Go ahead and do whatever you want with it.

This doesn't actually use UPak.u, though, so I'm not sure how useful it'll be to you.