Hi

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
Eviltom
Skilled

Hi

Post by Eviltom »

So I was listening to some music on YouTube. And out of nowhere it randomly started playing the Unreal Tournement soundtrack....

I'm now in the midst of a huge amount of UT nostalgia.... downloaded UT on steam and Iv already got halfway through making a new level and have got in touch with a guy I used to play against.

do many people still play? And is the mapping community still going? Hopefully will have a decent test version of the map soon.

-Tom
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Hi

Post by Carbon »

Hi Tom!

Welcome!

Some here map (and very well), some code (mods, gametypes, etc) and some just play, but we all love the game.

You say you are mapping? Cool...always great to have new content.

Enjoy your time here...lots of good people! :highfive:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Eviltom wrote:And is the mapping community still going?
We still exist, albeit in a fragmented state, spread out between many small forums. New blood is always welcome!
You must construct additional pylons.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay here and do share once the map is done, alright? :P If you need any help, feel free to ask here :tu:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hello and welcome.

Yes plenty of people still map and play UT99. More than play the newer versions.
Plenty of mapping happens here, so you will have plenty of help and advice when you need it.
The old masterservers are gone, and you need to update your config to see all the running servers http://333networks.com/masterserver

Lots has changed over the years, and you will need a few updates for the modern world. Steam only supply official updates (and only 1 half of the GOTY edition).
There are still updates for the old game made at www.oldunreal.com
We have new video and audio renderers suitable for modern hardware, and the new video renderers work in UEd.
You are not limited to small textures any more, and can create hi-res modern maps.
There is also a patch to allow the use of better animated bots and models.

I collected all the info useful for people with a fresh install of UT, with lots of options for updates and upgrades.
Some is necessary for modern setups, and some is icing on the cake
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/unre ... -f104.html