Hey :)

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
emod
Novice

Hey :)

Post by emod »

Hey guys,

I've lurked here for some time but decided to actually get active. I'm emod and I've played this wonderful game ever since I can remember owning a PC (I am actually quite young and as horrid as this may sound... this game was part of my childhood X) ). I am a musician from Germany and I am really glad to be part of such a wonderful community!

So... hey guys. :)
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Re: Hey :)

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

Welcome to the forum :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Whale come to the forum.

Musician? What kind of music?
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Hi, do you/have you tried making music for UT?
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Welcome! Young....hmmm....used to know that word...

Welcome! :)
emod
Novice

Post by emod »

First of all, thank you guys very much for such a warm welcome. :)
papercoffee wrote:Whale come to the forum.

Musician? What kind of music?
I have been producing Trance, and Drum & Bass (Sub-genres of Electronic Music) for a few years now.
Eviltom wrote:Hi, do you/have you tried making music for UT?
That is actually an interesting thought. I have not considered this before, but it might be quite fun!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Welcome in from the lurkspace emod.

One thing to remember for making game music, is that you need to loop, so always start and end ambient or beatless.
We can at least use OGG and MP3 with the newest audio renderers, so you don't have to compromise on quality any more.
emod
Novice

Post by emod »

Dr.Flay wrote:Welcome in from the lurkspace emod.

One thing to remember for making game music, is that you need to loop, so always start and end ambient or beatless.
We can at least use OGG and MP3 with the newest audio renderers, so you don't have to compromise on quality any more.
I do not think that an MP3 file would work well, as the encoding forces a few milliseconds of silence at the beginning of each MP3 file, so i feel like OGG would be the better choice here. :)
What about lossless file formats, such as WAV or FLAC?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The idea is to make the audio file quick to download, and bare in mind that people are playing a game with multiple channels of extra noise on top, so audiophile quality is pointless.

traditionally a UMX is a tracker module made up of many small wav loops (UT has always played music as WAV), so is the preferred optimal format for old games with smaller DL requirements.
It was discovered that you can trick a mod creator program (eg. OpenModPlug) into accepting just 1 long sample of a whole song, but to keep the size sensible (+50MB is too much to expect people to download, if the rest of the distro is 2 or 3 MB) we have always reduced the WAV to Mono, 11kHz, 8bit.
As you can expect, this makes complex music sound like crap, but people still do it.

If you love the production side of music, then have a play with https://openmpt.org
It is how we used to make computer music before things like Fruityloops.
Technically it is the same thing, but scrolls up the screen instead of across.
Open a UT UMX file with it and you will see you can re-edit or export specific samples.
Watch it play, and you will see how it works.

Over at OldUnreal, Smirftsch made new audio renderers to support new hardware, and has continued updates to include more functionality.
Currently it uses libxmp.dll and supports everything it does (and yes FLAC is supported)
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1399614690