Hello

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
rc6750

Hello

Post by rc6750 »

Hello all!

I was going through some old code and found some mutators that I had written back in 1999/2000. I begin searching online for what I needed to do to get UT running on my machine to play with them and was very pleased to find that there is still an active community around it.

I ran around in 1999/2000 as Bog Wraith, always wore the Xan skin, and loved shock-combo more than I should have. Pretty much only played CTF. I even wrote a tutorial for the old Chimeric page - I found an archived version of it: http://web.archive.org/web/200203010248 ... tut25.html

I got into UT at my job - we had a company server and played CTF every day at lunch - usually getting to 16 people every time. I have really fond memories of the matches and playing with the same people everyday.

I wrote a few mutators that we used internally but I never released outside the company and eventually the dot com crash caught up with us and we all went our separate ways.

I have put the code up in GitHub along with the umod packages in case anybody wants to try them and play around with them.

Color Eightball Mutator
I honestly can't remember why I named it this, maybe I was playing off the fact that magic eightball gives you random answers. I don't know.
This mutator replaces the rocket launcher with a rocket launcher that randomly shoots 5 different colored projectiles:

Blue Projectile - This is a blue projectile that just does normal rocket damage.
Green Projectile - This will disintegrate the victim.
Gold Projectile - This will cause the victim to increase in fatness until they explode.
Grey Projectile - This will freeze the victim to death and leave an ice statue in place.
Red Projectile - This is a redeemer.

It is available in regular and arena mode.

From my memories - it is incredibly chaotic to play with, especially on arena mode. I had to add a menu option to turn redeemer on/off because it was pretty unusable as a tool for team play otherwise. However, if you just want to have insane death match round or mess around with some bots it is pretty fun.

It is going to be awhile before I am able to get UT up and running - would love to see some screen shots or video of it use if anybody gets a chance to try it out.

https://github.com/rc6750/Color-Eightball - source code and umod.

Disguise Relic

Relic of Disguise

Basically, this relic will change your team color to the opposing team color for the duration you own the relic.

Important:
-You must have the UT-BonusPack installed or this won't work.
-This is designed for two team CTF (or possibly Domination).
-Support for two teams only (Red and Blue)
-Will NOT, repeat NOT, fool any sort of computer AI (gun turrets, bots, etc).
It only changes your skin color, not your team information.
-Supports the following player models:
Male Soldiers
Female Soldiers
Male Commandos
Female Commandos
Skaarj
Nali
Nali WarCow
Boss
Chrek Army

We tested this a few times - it works pretty well, there may have been a few bugs, I don't remember. One flaw - since we only played CTF, it was obvious something was wrong when you saw a blue player carrying a blue flag. Might work well for other modes.

https://github.com/rc6750/Disguise-Relic Source code and umod.

Side note - I haven't tested any of this - I THINK these are the latest versions of working code but this was back from before I used source control, so I really have no idea. Please let me know if find any issues. Also, I can't remember anything from this long ago, hopefully I haven't copied some code from somewhere else - let me know if you see something so I can provide credit.

Long term I am interested in getting UT set up locally and maybe running a server - look forward to learning what has been going on in the community in the past 17 years or so.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: Hello

Post by ShaiHulud »

Nice, thanks for sharing
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Welcome to the community :D
rc6750 wrote:look forward to learning what has been going on in the community in the past 17 years or so.
Most players-only went away, curious minds stayed.
With curious minds I mean those who kept/keep making maps or writing new code and those who like playing with their work.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Hiya!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Any opinions on these yet ?
Sorry @rc6750 I only just found this post, and love the sound of these.
Isn't the relic of disguise going to get you team-killed though ?
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Welcome! Those mutators sound like a lot of fun :mrgreen: ! I can see the paranoid teammates already.
Should also be fun with teamdamage. Accidentally killing your teammate x)!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I didn't try it, but by the description the disguise only alters your color, so as long friendly-fire is off, it might just stir some confusion but not get you killed (unless the boosting you get from getting fired at ends up tossing you over the ledge).

But there's a way for avoiding that, and it is doing it the same as Team Fortress 2 does with the spy: for the enemy players you can appear like them, but for friendly ones you would still look clearly like from their own team, but with some sort of marker to let them know you're disguised (TF2 just adds a really comical mask to his face for example).
Warboss
Personal rank: Boss

Post by Warboss »

rc6750 wrote:Hello all!

I was going through some old code and found some mutators that I had written back in 1999/2000. I begin searching online for what I needed to do to get UT running on my machine to play with them and was very pleased to find that there is still an active community around it.

I ran around in 1999/2000 as Bog Wraith, always wore the Xan skin, and loved shock-combo more than I should have. Pretty much only played CTF. I even wrote a tutorial for the old Chimeric page - I found an archived version of it: http://web.archive.org/web/200203010248 ... tut25.html

I got into UT at my job - we had a company server and played CTF every day at lunch - usually getting to 16 people every time. I have really fond memories of the matches and playing with the same people everyday.

I wrote a few mutators that we used internally but I never released outside the company and eventually the dot com crash caught up with us and we all went our separate ways.

I have put the code up in GitHub along with the umod packages in case anybody wants to try them and play around with them.

Color Eightball Mutator
I honestly can't remember why I named it this, maybe I was playing off the fact that magic eightball gives you random answers. I don't know.
This mutator replaces the rocket launcher with a rocket launcher that randomly shoots 5 different colored projectiles:

Blue Projectile - This is a blue projectile that just does normal rocket damage.
Green Projectile - This will disintegrate the victim.
Gold Projectile - This will cause the victim to increase in fatness until they explode.
Grey Projectile - This will freeze the victim to death and leave an ice statue in place.
Red Projectile - This is a redeemer.

It is available in regular and arena mode.

From my memories - it is incredibly chaotic to play with, especially on arena mode. I had to add a menu option to turn redeemer on/off because it was pretty unusable as a tool for team play otherwise. However, if you just want to have insane death match round or mess around with some bots it is pretty fun.

It is going to be awhile before I am able to get UT up and running - would love to see some screen shots or video of it use if anybody gets a chance to try it out.

https://github.com/rc6750/Color-Eightball - source code and umod.

Disguise Relic

Relic of Disguise

Basically, this relic will change your team color to the opposing team color for the duration you own the relic.

Important:
-You must have the UT-BonusPack installed or this won't work.
-This is designed for two team CTF (or possibly Domination).
-Support for two teams only (Red and Blue)
-Will NOT, repeat NOT, fool any sort of computer AI (gun turrets, bots, etc).
It only changes your skin color, not your team information.
-Supports the following player models:
Male Soldiers
Female Soldiers
Male Commandos
Female Commandos
Skaarj
Nali
Nali WarCow
Boss
Chrek Army

We tested this a few times - it works pretty well, there may have been a few bugs, I don't remember. One flaw - since we only played CTF, it was obvious something was wrong when you saw a blue player carrying a blue flag. Might work well for other modes.

https://github.com/rc6750/Disguise-Relic Source code and umod.

Side note - I haven't tested any of this - I THINK these are the latest versions of working code but this was back from before I used source control, so I really have no idea. Please let me know if find any issues. Also, I can't remember anything from this long ago, hopefully I haven't copied some code from somewhere else - let me know if you see something so I can provide credit.

Long term I am interested in getting UT set up locally and maybe running a server - look forward to learning what has been going on in the community in the past 17 years or so.
Hello