Hello from a UT99 virgin.

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
Ketteract
Novice

Hello from a UT99 virgin.

Post by Ketteract »

Well, not quite a virgin, but pretty damn close.

I never played UT99 before. I never played any multiplayer Unreal game before. The one Unreal game I'd played was Unreal, and then only for the first time last summer. Gorgeous as hell, with levels whose designs reflected awesome '90s indulgences. The combat was tiring after a while, but the weapons... there was something there.

I'm not well-versed in multiplayer shooters. Most of my experience was from a sliver of Quake 1, a shit-ton of Halo 1, and a smattering of Half-Life 2 Deathmatch. For whatever reason, the UT series passed me by, and after seeing a few nostalgia threads about it on Shacknews, I decided to finally look into it. Some weeks ago, I woke up in the dark at 4 in the morning, bought the Unreal Deal Pack, and began to practice UT99 against increasing number of bots in the single-player mode.

And son of a bitch. Even with just bots, it was immediately clear to me why this game was king of its particular hill. I won't bother with florid praise for individual aspects of the game that everyone already knows. I'll just say that a lot of things seem to have a rough but promising beginning, and then a period of perfect refinement where everything is just right, a Goldilocks-sized bowl of porridge. Silent Hill 2 and System Shock 2 were like this. It's just right.

I managed to rope a friend into this pursuit, and after our first CTF match, I began to develop a better apprecation for the exquisitely crazy number of ways to kill that this game offers. I've been trying to discover more through gameplay than through prior research. Things I've learned so far include the shock rifle combo, telefragging with the translocator, making proper use of the biorifle, and firing rockets in a formation. We also began experimenting with mutators - no more than a few at a time, for now. Started off with FatBoy, Instagib, and Flak Arena. Instagib turned out to work very well with the Domination gametype, making it more purely about the control points. We then explored the Relics and weapon upgrades, and branched out into user-created mutators, including Nevett's pack, Strangelove, and Double Domination.

And maps. Maps maps maps. Standard and user-created. We considered ourselves lucky to be only now discovering things that were perhaps well-worn for many others. Here are some of the configurations we've tried so far:

Lament / Domination / Instagib
Face II / CTF / Jump Arena + Translocator Upgrade
Hall of Giants / CTF / Sniper Arena + Sniper Upgrade
Fractal / DM / Biorifle Upgrade
Agony / DM / Excessive Health + all Relics
Deck 16 / DM / Flak Arena + Volatile Ammo
Turbine / DM / Ripper Upgrade

http://chattypics.com/files/agreensetti ... kvki89.png

Some user-created maps we've tried include Rendezw00t, Valkyrie, and Penthouse Heaven. People's inventiveness has never failed to surprise us.

We've only just started a 12-year-delayed journey. It's surreal, trawling the Internet for information and finding critical tidbits in ancient websites (like the user.ini edit that releases the Boss model, found in a forum post from 2000). I've seen more old-school pages with frames and animated GIFs than I have in a long time. I feel like an excited teenager again, even though UT99 wasn't part of my adolescence.

So, greetings to you all. I expect my hell of a ride to continue forever.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Hello from a UT99 virgin.

Post by papercoffee »

Well this is delay ....but Welcome aboard Sailor!!
Did you try to play on-line? I know many server are empty but there are also some server filled with people still playing.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Hi :tu:

as papercoffee if u can play online, u will find some great servers, some servers have 24 players on at a time. there could be upto over 1000players online at one time and that is pretty good how old this game is now.

good mods to look out for online;

strange love (SLV)
combogib grapple
siege
monsterhunt
bunnytrack
and more...
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

I feel like an excited teenager again, even though UT99 wasn't part of my adolescence.
So, greetings to you all. I expect my hell of a ride to continue forever.
I still feel this way about UT, and I have played it since the get go!
I play it online every chance I get.
Thanks for joining us UT fanatics! :tu:
Last edited by Hook on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Better late than never, Ketteract. Welcome to the site! :)

Sergeant Todd
-----------------
My UT voices are at:
http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=27
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Ketteract wrote:I never played UT99 before.
*dies of shock*
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Elayne_Trakand
Novice

Post by Elayne_Trakand »

UT99 is the best game ever made.. so I'm glad you have finally given it a go.

Good Luck

{**Elayne_Trakand**}