Haven't played UT99 since 99.. until now. = noob needs help

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
Hanging Johnny
Novice

Haven't played UT99 since 99.. until now. = noob needs help

Post by Hanging Johnny »

No, I'm not trolling..
Played ut as a little kid and fell in love. I was never able to afford a pc so I ended up with a 360. Well today I had the bright idea of reinstalling ut99 (ended up using the guide on this website) and from what I can tell everything is working! Bought a $20 kb+m combo and tried playing. Campaign: didn't do too bad. Joined a sniper only server(?) and got straight up demolished. Basically I just want to know what I'm missing; how should I find regular games, is my cheap ass mouse affecting me in a negative way?
Again, I promise I'm not trolling. I could barely even make this account because the first security question was "most popular ut original ctf map?" refresh asked for the flak cannon tho, and I was able to answer that :)
Anyway thanks in advance, i read a lot on the forums and it all makes absolutely no sense. Anything you think I should know I probably do, so feel free to let me know :rock:
Higor
Godlike

Re: Haven't played UT99 since 99.. until now. = noob needs h

Post by Higor »

About finding regular games, the server description will most likely give away what mods are in use.

And lol getting into a sniper server at first, still if you're confident enough, try a 1 on 1 deathmatch server, but expect the kind of player that always plays defensive and powerup hogging.
As personl recommendation, try finding CTF-Face servers (facing worlds, that must be the popular CTF map you were asked about), there are still a few that always have lots players (noobs, average, campers, runners, pros, super pros, and rarely some aimbot), you'll gain pace at ut on those.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hanging Johnny wrote:Anything you think I should know I probably do, so feel free to let me know
Well first you should know ...we have here a "who are you"/"welcome" section. :mrgreen:

I think this thread would fit there much better. I'll move it.
Hanging Johnny
Novice

Post by Hanging Johnny »

Higor wrote:About finding regular games, the server description will most likely give away what mods are in use.

And lol getting into a sniper server at first, still if you're confident enough, try a 1 on 1 deathmatch server, but expect the kind of player that always plays defensive and powerup hogging.
As personl recommendation, try finding CTF-Face servers (facing worlds, that must be the popular CTF map you were asked about), there are still a few that always have lots players (noobs, average, campers, runners, pros, super pros, and rarely some aimbot), you'll gain pace at ut on those.
Thank you, Ill try looking for a regular looking ctf game. I hope I don't see an aimbot; we don't have them on console and I think id probably break my laptop in half if i got killed by one..
Well first you should know ...we have here a "who are you"/"welcome" section. :mrgreen:

I think this thread would fit there much better. I'll move it.
Thanks!
PSL-500
Novice

Post by PSL-500 »

well most of the players have been playing for a long time..so they will easily get the better of you..have patience..i was in the same situation as you around 4-5 months back..it took me 1-2 months to be of some use to my team
i'l say that you should first play against bots in the "practise session"...as for servers...all i can say is DONT go on sniper servers..not at all...i started with rocket servers(CTF) and i will recommend that you should play on them for atleast one week(it will help you get confidence)...(aimbot isnt much useful with rocket launcher so no need to worry about that too).you can go to other servers after that..important things you need to learn are-strafing and dodging..also make sure that you have a low ping.
as for your mouse..no i dont think it would have much negative effect..atleast for starters its fine..just be patient..
and always remember one thing -everyone(even the super pro players) was once a noob

which type of gameplay do you like???and which weapon???then i can give you a better advice
Hanging Johnny
Novice

Post by Hanging Johnny »

I've been playing nexuiz alot recently (arena coming to pc in april) and mainly play ctf with rockets. Ping below 100? i i was able to play below 75 but i didnt many "regular looking servers. Can you explain the strafe? I'm assuming theirs more to it then just holding the left arrow (I use "A") I noticed their was a presest for just strafe. I think I'm just going to play with the bots for a while; I don't have much if any kb+m skill left :(
Don't go on sniper servers because their tough?
Thanks for the help, that was definitely a confidence booster
PSL-500
Novice

Post by PSL-500 »

1)well there are 4-5 servers for CTF+ rockets..four of them have only one map..CTF-Face(this answers the question that you were asked "most popular ut original ctf map")
the 4th server has different maps...but it is rocket boost.(which means that when you shoot at ground..you can make huge jumps and you dont get hurt by your own rockets)..i wont go in any more details..it will complicate things for you..just goon them and play..you will learn

2)STRAFING
its just the most common way used way to dodge enemy fire..
one of the important rules to be a good player is...always keep moving....a moving target is always difficult to shoot at..

yes.there is more than just pressing "A"...though a moving person is difficult to kill..many times the enemy can predict your movement and then it gets even more easy to kill you...
so its not only just moving that helps..you need to move in such a way that the enemy cannot predict you movements..you need to strafe in all directions-left,right,forward+left,forward+right,backwards+left,backwards+right(notice that moving only fowards or only backward is of no use)
even i dont know what the preset for strafe does...i use just the movement keys
3)yes sniper servers are too tough..but ya..what you can do is..go there as a spectator and watch how they strafe and dodge..you can learn how to strafe and dodge by watching them
.actually you should really do that

4)nobody has keyboard + mouse skill from start..people have to develop it..so relax about that
5)your ping is really good

and oh my favourite weapon is rocket launcher too..so...high five
if you need any more help later on as you play..you can ask
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

Don't forget the mouse fix for windows xp and above:
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... useFix.zip
Hanging Johnny
Novice

Post by Hanging Johnny »

You guys are great, thank you for the kind and informative replies.
Edit:
I used the opengl, and i thought everything was working good but now my player speed is super slow alot of the time, as well as switching weapons. sometimes it speeds back up to normal speed but for the most part it is much slower than it should be. I play on a laptop: 1.7ghz and integrated graphics (few year old laptop). I put graphic settings to low, but no difference. my laptop is 32 bit, and thats what i use ingame; should i use 16 bit? I use 1280x800 res for regular things on my pc, but this game was defaulted at i believe the 640x480 setting. do I need to keep it their or increase to something higher? 1280x800 cuts the screen off horizontally, but 1276x720 fits perfectly (highest that will fit my screen). Like the title says, im a pc gaming noob and this is literally my first adventure into it. I'm willing to put as much time into this as i need to, I don't care if a full new installation is needed. i also dont care about graphics; i just want to play smoothly. Thanks again!

Johnny
Hanging Johnny
Novice

Post by Hanging Johnny »

I edited in more questions to my above post; sorry for the double post that was not my intention.
PSL-500
Novice

Post by PSL-500 »

have you tried changing your video drivers to D3D?? preferences -video-video drivers-change and select Direct 3D support
whether it works or not.... make a post about it on Tips,Tricks and Tutorial category ,others will be able to help you better
Hanging Johnny
Novice

Post by Hanging Johnny »

I tried it but it didn't help.. Ill make a post in that category tho
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

Hanging Johnny wrote: I used the opengl, and i thought everything was working good but now my player speed is super slow alot of the time, as well as switching weapons. sometimes it speeds back up to normal speed
Try this patch:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2970
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Don't have any advice for you, just saying it's cool to find someone else that's been playing ut99 since it came out.

We are a rare breed.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Hanging Johnny
Novice

Post by Hanging Johnny »

EvilGrins wrote:Don't have any advice for you, just saying it's cool to find someone else that's been playing ut99 since it came out.

We are a rare breed.
If only I still lived in Canada close to my grandfather. I believe he was 66 back when UT99 came out, and i was about 8. I was there visiting with my family and he was always a computer "nerd".. best pc money could buy and would build/fix anyones computer for some tim hortons gift cards (coffee shop). I don't think I'd ever played a video game until that point and he showed me ut99. Needless to say all I did that vacation was play :). I know nothing about the current going-ons of ut but it still has that very special place in my heart and I am so glad I found people like you and this forum.
Time to ditch this laptop and maybe even get a less expensive car so I can build a gaming machine and play my favorite game in style!