Hello from a massive custom monster/mutator lover

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
heliumcat
Skilled

Hello from a massive custom monster/mutator lover

Post by heliumcat »

Let's introduce myself here:

I'm Michael, 25 year old and living in Belgium atm.

I've been playing ut99 since I was 12 years old, I noticed that I'm really interested in the custom mod/mutator aspect of the game.

I own unreal, ut2004, unreal 2 and ut3 too and had been creating (noobish) mutators for ut2004 8 years ago. Too bad I lost a lot of these files after one of my old machines got bust.

These days I've been playing ut99 alot again using the apocalypse weapons alpha, nali weapons 3, chaos-ut goty and rockets-ut weapon mods combined with various monster mutators like bad news, dropper, monsterspawn, swarmspawn and sometimes the monsterhunt 2 gold gametype.

I got to say I'm really looking for mutators that are compatible with other mutators (like those I mentioned above) that add extra elements to the game without breaking the existing elements (code-wise).

If anyone is willing to help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Hello from a massive custom monster/mutator lover

Post by papercoffee »

Welcome aboard ...I think we have here some guys who can help you. :wink:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hello Heliumcat,
well yes as Papercoffee hints at, some of us are adventurous/abusive with mutators.

I commonly use about 20 at a time, and have run about 30 successfully.
First off I would suggest adding MrLoathsome's conversion of the swarm zombies.

Relics tend to behave well apart from ones that change the player visibility (only use 1 variation of invisibility)
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... nd-pickups
Mutators that add stuff are usually fine, but mutators that change things can clash or make UT go into a loop.

You will have noticed that a chain of logic is created with mutators, which can have a knock-on effect.
Sometimes swapping the order a mut' is loaded can solve a clash.

The volatile ammo in the "DE" mutator only changes the standard ammo pickups, so if you use Wormbo's "Enhanced Items" or (I think) "Xpickups", the ammo no longer explodes. It will however work with ChaosUT.
Oh yeah, make sure you have the newer Chaos rather than the old GOTY version.

Sometimes if one of the developers of a mutator is still available you can ask if a fix or update can be made.
I managed to get a fix made for Chaos and Xpickups, because the Chaos sniper rifle does not spawn.
All the other Chaos weapons are sub-classes of the standard UT weapons so will spawn fine.

It is unfortunately an "art" rather than a "science" as often mutators that should work together do not.
All anyone can do is post screenshots of their working list of mutators, and explain why certain mutators are where they are.

Currently the only pickups I can find that monsters can use is "RuneZ". This adds a dimension and extra strategy no one has done.
I have explained already before why I think letting the monsters have access to select powers and pickups is a great idea.
search the forum for "RuneZ".
It's only problem is it needs to be fixed before ever being used online, as it fills the log with errors.

You can combine RuneZ with Relics. eg. pick up 2 health powerups for mega quick regen.
You can combine a "Wormbo's Enhanced Relic" with another Relic depending on the order you run them (can't remember which way, as I now use "Relic Classes") and the order you try and pick them up.

ChaosUT and NW3 do not run well together. It works but slows UT to a crawl.

Many monsters/pawns designed for Unreal, work well in UT, so visit Oldunreal and UnrealSP.

Also Install other horror mods, and you will have access to more zombies and monsters in "MonsterSpawn".
The mod "MonsterMadness" has a CoOp game-mode "Us Against Them". All the monster and zombie spawners I've tried work with it.

Oh and Loathsome's Random Monster Sizer works with all the monster combinations, and is very funny with swarms of zombies.

Alternate Pawns http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2652
Skeletal Mercenaries http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2660
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
blarg
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

Dr.Flay wrote:Hello Heliumcat,
well yes as Papercoffee hints at, some of us are adventurous/abusive with mutators.
Yeah this is why I joined this forum basically, I liked the ambitious vibe on here (compared to other ut99 forums).
Dr.Flay wrote:I commonly use about 20 at a time, and have run about 30 successfully.
First off I would suggest adding MrLoathsome's conversion of the swarm zombies.
At the moment I load 5 or 6, but for some reason I didn't like the swarm zombies as much as I liked the other monsters, so I left that mutator out.
Dr.Flay wrote:Relics tend to behave well apart from ones that change the player visibility (only use 1 variation of invisibility)
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... nd-pickups
Mutators that add stuff are usually fine, but mutators that change things can clash or make UT go into a loop.
Thanks, I'll check those out.
Dr.Flay wrote:You will have noticed that a chain of logic is created with mutators, which can have a knock-on effect.
Sometimes swapping the order a mut' is loaded can solve a clash.
Ah, I didn't know that yet, thanks for pointing that out. ;)
Dr.Flay wrote:The volatile ammo in the "DE" mutator only changes the standard ammo pickups, so if you use Wormbo's "Enhanced Items" or (I think) "Xpickups", the ammo no longer explodes. It will however work with ChaosUT.
Oh yeah, make sure you have the newer Chaos rather than the old GOTY version.
Yeah I preferred the goty version because I didn't like the newer added weapons in V1.1 at all. But perhaps I should download the newer version and exclude the newer weapons from it by only selecting the "older" ones via stuffswapper.
Dr.Flay wrote:Sometimes if one of the developers of a mutator is still available you can ask if a fix or update can be made.
I managed to get a fix made for Chaos and Xpickups, because the Chaos sniper rifle does not spawn.
All the other Chaos weapons are sub-classes of the standard UT weapons so will spawn fine.
Nice tip, but I can't expect them to perform/solve all my demands & preferences that I have on their stuff.
Dr.Flay wrote:It is unfortunately an "art" rather than a "science" as often mutators that should work together do not.
All anyone can do is post screenshots of their working list of mutators, and explain why certain mutators are where they are.

Currently the only pickups I can find that monsters can use is "RuneZ". This adds a dimension and extra strategy no one has done.
I have explained already before why I think letting the monsters have access to select powers and pickups is a great idea.
search the forum for "RuneZ".
It's only problem is it needs to be fixed before ever being used online, as it fills the log with errors.

You can combine RuneZ with Relics. eg. pick up 2 health powerups for mega quick regen.
You can combine a "Wormbo's Enhanced Relic" with another Relic depending on the order you run them (can't remember which way, as I now use "Relic Classes") and the order you try and pick them up.
Nice, will grab it.
Dr.Flay wrote:ChaosUT and NW3 do not run well together. It works but slows UT to a crawl.
Funny, I've had no issues with it so far, runs smooth as fuck.
Dr.Flay wrote:Many monsters/pawns designed for Unreal, work well in UT, so visit Oldunreal and UnrealSP.
Thanks for telling me this, I've been wondering this too.
Dr.Flay wrote:Also Install other horror mods, and you will have access to more zombies and monsters in "MonsterSpawn".
The mod "MonsterMadness" has a CoOp game-mode "Us Against Them". All the monster and zombie spawners I've tried work with it.
It's an awesome gametype I agree.
Dr.Flay wrote:Oh and Loathsome's Random Monster Sizer works with all the monster combinations, and is very funny with swarms of zombies.

Alternate Pawns http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2652
Skeletal Mercenaries http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2660
Might grab that one too one day. I'm generally a big fan of Loathsome's mutators. ;)

Thx for the warm welcoming posts everyone!