Never thought I'd find myself here but greetings.

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñìght.:
Average
Personal rank: Nameless Dragon

Never thought I'd find myself here but greetings.

Post by Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñìght.: »

I actually played UT99 first before Unreal 1, I've played mods such as Agent X and Infiltration way back when UT99's modding community skyrocketed.

Seeing how I suddenly find myself trying to mod this rather than Unreal 1, I suppose it was time I joined this community so I hope to have a wonderfully friendly time here with everyone.

Though my mods for UT99 are not really all that interesting I figured it wouldn't hurt to tell everyone about them here.

I am predominately a Unreal 1 player and modder (the first time I made a UScript mod was with Unreal 1), and I'm trying my best at mod making on UT99.
“I am a dragon without a name...”
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept
Personal rank: It's a trap!

Re: Never thought I'd find myself here but greetings.

Post by VatcilliZeitchef »

Ah welcome!

The nice thing about modding for Unreal Tournament after you already did so for unreal is the step really isn't that huge.
I'd assume that with a slight change in script here and there, and perhaps some ini changes most mods can be converted.

I'd think the co-op and monsterhunt gametypes would be fun to start with~

But I digress! Welcome to UT 99 dot org~
Make sure to share your creativity with others, so it doesn't go to waste! :highfive:
Image Kayako's useful Unreal editor Icon Database Image
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñìght.:
Average

The only thing annoying me right now is how UT99 depends on these "ClientFire" methods... Most of my weapons that I've made are really dependent on animation timings and what not, and having the states segregated like this is frustrating me greatly...

Apart from that, I've made quite alot of mutators that I plan to put into a large pack once I feel they are ready.
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept
Personal rank: It's a trap!

Post by VatcilliZeitchef »

Ah, Clientfire.
I'm not a modder but I know what you mean, I ran into a problem like that before. In fact it's still there.

Something I'll have to look at when I'm done. But wasn't clientfire also needed in multiplayer sessions in unreal?
Image Kayako's useful Unreal editor Icon Database Image
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñìght.:
Average

Yes, if clientfire is not setup properly the weapons get stuck on netplay. My Agent X remake I title "Goldeneye64" is really dependent on states since a majority of the mod bases itself around a parent class where all weapon functionality is handled in default properties to enable rapid prototyping of weapons without the need of having to write the same code 20x over. I have yet to figure out how to make a proper clientfire for all this so while it works fine offline, wont work at all on online.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Welcome :tu:
New modders are always welcome, and new mods are always interesting in a way or in another. Even if person A doesn't find interesting, B will.

As for the ClientFire, the thing is that Epic decided to separate the weapon states in a server and client standalone states, and the advantage of doing that is that this way you can perfectly make client-side code independent of server-side one without all the role checks and whatnot. The disadvantage is that the code becomes a little bit more complex, and sometimes redundant.
But if you have any doubts on how the client states work in a weapon, and how you can produce code to run both offline and online in these cases without issues, feel free to ask. :wink:

Perhaps my very first tip on that, and perhaps the most important detail is the fact that the TournamentPlayer class (the player class in UT) forces the client state change to no state if the weapon isn't running an animation at any given time, which means that you have to ensure the weapon is being animated (even if through TweenAnim) at all times to keep the client state online.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Welcome aboard Sailor. :mrgreen:
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

I am guessing you are not the Dark Knight who made the 1st conversion maps of the Unreal mission for the very first oldskool Coopgame2 servers.

Welcome to the forum anyway. ("Death Lottery" mutator. LOL Great idea. Perfect for the server admin who is pissed off at his players.)

*Edit. Adjust that so the players with the highest scores have a greater chance of winning the Death Lottery. It could even things out. Or something..... :omfg:
blarg
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñìght.:
Average

Nah I'm just the guy who used to be a complete asshole towards everyone imaginable. (not anymore but I still exhibit signs of being a sociopathic parasite)

I'm "Draco Nihil" to anyone who's seen me on UnrealSP by the way.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

LOL.

I have seen you on UnrealSP.

I am also a complete asshole.

I got perma-banned from UnrealAdmin.org way way way back. 2003 or 2004 perhaps? Still don't remember exactly why.
Was drinking lots of whiskey at the time, and probably made some posts that were less than tactful.

Their loss I say.
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

MrLoathsome wrote: I am also a complete asshole.
Liar...