Greetings, and thanks!

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
bitpusher

Greetings, and thanks!

Post by bitpusher »

Recently ran into this pocket of UT devotees, and wanted to say hi...

Unreal Tournament is still, almost 15 years later, my favorite video game of all time. It had a unique group of attributes that set it apart from everything else, and still does. Here are some of my favorite things about it:

1. The feel and balance of the default weapons is lively and enjoyable
2. The bots actually play in a very human-like way, and that has allowed me to have numerous enjoyable LAN parties with only a few people
3. It was designed to be scalable, the low-resolution textures used initially were replaced with higher resolution ones, etc.
4. IT CAME WITH AN EDITOR. AWESOME!
5. Due in large part to #4, the depth and breadth of the online UT community is unlike anything I've seen before or since - I downloaded GIGs of maps/mods/mutes over dialup to try out with my friends
6. An added bonus that UT has acquired over the years is that at this point it will run on pretty much any PC hardware that I still have around

I come back to UT and play it with my wife often. Being a tournament FPS game, you don't need a multi-hour block of time to have fun on UT. And this doesn't even touch on the other best-of-all-time games based on the Unreal Engine - Thief 2 and Deus Ex come to mind.

Thanks to all who have kept and continue to keep UT alive. Best PC game ever.
~Bitpusher
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Greetings, and thanks!

Post by papercoffee »

Welcome aboard ...yeah, UT is alive and kicking. Not that energetically like in the past but thanks to a diehard community is UT difficult to bury.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Hello and welcome mate ;)
UT is still alive..
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

bitpusher wrote: 5. Due in large part to #4, the depth and breadth of the online UT community is unlike anything I've seen before or since - I downloaded GIGs of maps/mods/mutes over dialup to try out with my friends
This to me, is what makes UT so great. Sure, there are plenty of games out there, but apart from the Quake and Half-Life series, it would be hard to find anyone to compare to UT regarding custom content. Models, skins, weapons, mutators, maps, mods, this game is just so rich!

Welcome aboard.
You must construct additional pylons.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Welcome to the forums! :rock:
I'd add a few more things to that list:
7. UT and Unreal have some of the best music I've ever heard.... Organic, GoDown, the Unreal Intro... Heck I love nearlly all of them :tu:
8. The community itself is one of the (if not the!!) friendliest I've seen. While the Counter-Strike and other game forums are over run by troLlOLOloLs, UT's players help each other out :highfive: <- Perfect smiley example lol :wink:
9. It came with some of the best maps ever: Face, Deck16][, Morpheus, HallOfGiants and more :)
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

UnrealGecko wrote:8. The community itself is one of the (if not the!!) friendliest I've seen. While the Counter-Strike and other game forums are over run by troLlOLOloLs, UT's players help each other out :highfive: <- Perfect smiley example lol :wink:
Not we're not, get away from me you red-team scum!
You must construct additional pylons.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

Rocky wrote:Hello and welcome mate ;)
UT is still alive..

:highfive:
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Welcome bitpusher :rock:

Yup, UT is the one single answer to any true FPS loving player. It clearly set a new standard for FPS games back in 99 - a standard every FPS game ever since have tried to beat, but they have all failed. UT is one of a kind - even Epic cannot produce anything near its quality anymore. They can develope all their fancy high tech gigapixel THX audio million FX bla bla engines they want ........... it all comes down to the gameplay :tu:
Retired.